• 10 months later...

Thanks so much, Riva, for sharing this. I was so fascinated by the contents of the interview that I’ve listened to it a few times by now. From an opening conversation about the format of the picture to a deep insight. It’d be great to see the final picture as part of an exhibition, together with the various photos taken during the interview and the sketches and drawings made.

• Like 2

As Ed said in the programme, it's so accurate it's almost like a photo.

I guess the reason these aren't on TV is because someone generally deems them too static - probably not the case for a dancer, though.  I wonder if there's a case for making some of them as TV programmes?  Possibly, though, the radio format, without intrusive cameras, is more conducive to the almost confessional-like atmosphere?  I must listen to some more of these ...

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Marianela Nunez on Radio 4 (8th January)
4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

A lovely programme, but rather a shame  it could not have be a TV item. We just had to imagine what was going on in the dance rehearsals with Makarova etc. 

But isn’t that the magic of radio, just as test cricket and football or tennis matches are somehow enhanced by only hearing them?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But isn’t that the magic of radio, just as test cricket and football or tennis matches are somehow enhanced by only hearing them?

Not really, for me - perhaps  I don't have enough imagination  Lizbie! 

I did find myself visualising the relevant dances from La B as the music was being played, but of course that only worked because I had already seen the ballet. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I was only joking- apologies for my sarcasm.

Sometimes, I contemplate getting some tickets-currently ENB in London-  and then the whole reality of the cost, the trains, the hassle kicks in. If only there was some way of being 'virtually' present.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

Sorry, I was only joking- apologies for my sarcasm.

Sometimes, I contemplate getting some tickets-currently ENB in London-  and then the whole reality of the cost, the trains, the hassle kicks in. If only there was some way of being 'virtually' present.

I can't see myself giving up live theatre, and the main reason I choose to live in London is so trains, accommodation costs and massive time commitment don't really come into it.  I can't see myself wanting to give up live theatre completely in favour of any kind of virtual or recorded experience, but I wouldn't miss poor facilities (endless queues for the Ladies' or the bar) and above all, the PEOPLE.  I'm not talking about the engaged, interested majority, just those who chat loudly, mess about with their phones, block other people's views and don't supervise their children adequately, among other things!

• Like 2

Yes Ruth..I was about to contemplate spending a fair bit on a ticket for ENB Swan Lake, train travel etc- but then, if I get stuck between 2 people eating out of buckets ( as has happened to me twice at the Coli) I don't think I could bear it again........

• Like 2

I agree with both of you! I was talking to my dentist this morning about how as far as we were concerned it’s only the opera and ballet and some exhibitions that can draw us up to town. But then when you get people munching loudly (do people go to the theatre to eat?) or giving their companion a running commentary (as if they were on the sofa at home) or as with the ENB Swan Lake refusing to pipe down in the slightest during the orchestral prelude to Act II, it puts such a downer on things that you wonder why you bothered.

And that’s from someone who, like Ruth, is practically addicted to live performance.

Edited by Lizbie1
Extra word removed
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

or as with the ENB Swan Lake refusing to pipe down and in the slightest during the orchestral prelude to Act II, it puts such a downer on things that you wonder why you bothered.

And in this case, it's the majority of the audience!  I was at Sunday's matinee and it got me wondering why this is nowhere near as much of a problem at Covent Garden.  (I'm not counting the new Swan Lake as there's no break between Acts 1 and 2, but even the worst example I can think of at a Royal Ballet performance, which is the interlude in Sleeping Beauty, not nearly as high a proportion of the audience join in with the full-volume chat during the music.)  It's "the famous tune", too, so you'd think they might want to hear it!  I was in the third row and even those around me* had their phones on, were standing up, and talking at full volume.  I was wondering whether the audience is actually substantially different from the ROH one for a similar ballet, or whether the ROH technical team's choices in respect of house lighting and so forth are just better at controlling it.

(We'd best be careful though, or we'll get booted out onto the Audience Behaviour thread - indeed can I suggest we take any further contributions to this discussion there?)

*EDITED TO CLARIFY: "I was in the third row and even those around me..." I am not suggesting for one moment that I expect particularly high standards of behaviour from those supposedly genteel enough to sit in the expensive seats.  I AM suggesting that when you are close enough to the orchestra to be able to tell over the hubbub in the auditorium that there is definitely music being played, and close enough to realize that you are personally audible and visible to the people who are playing that music, you might be expected to be more likely to show some respect for it/them than those further away.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 6

That is shocking. Awful. An insult to the performers and the audience members who have paid up to about £80! to hear the music as well as watch the dance.

I think the ROH is only different because it does not allow in food and drink.

Once you do that- it sends a signal- 'relax! behave as if at home!' -  and that's it.

• Like 5