Appearance at Auditions

ArucariaBallerina

Hello, I'm completely new to the forum!

I have applied for the Royal Ballet School (the school of my deepest dreams!) for Senior Associates and White Lodge (I thought there was nothing to lose by ticking that box!). Apart from the anxieties I have about me not being good enough (I only started dancing at 12 and went en Pointe literally a few weeks ago- I'm now on the late side of 13- but I do work as hard as possible and practise everyday) I am currently stressed about what to wear.

On the confirmation audition email, it just states a leotard. Could anyone advise a leotard that would suit certain physiques? I am very small and slim for my age, so anything that would make my lines longer would be great. I currently have 2 (standard strap) leotards. I really don't know whether to pick the classical in black choice or the dark magenta-pink one (which also comes with a waistband). I do want to draw attention of course, but for the right reasons!

Secondly are the topic of shoes. I have three pairs: my usual class shoes (full sole and leather, but quite old now). My problem with these shoes is they make my arches seem flatter and the sole is in a really weird place that makes me look like I'm rolling in! My second pair is a satin split sole, very pretty in terms of foot definition, but a wee bit big for me. My third pair is my favourite pair which I use in festivals - my satin full soles with ribbons. I have a very narrow foot and ankle, so the ribbons fit the nicest. However, when I attended the Audition Insight Day (which was the best day of my life! I definitely recommend signing up!) only one dancer had ribbons. I wouldn't want them to fall out and look messy!

What a stress! But it's all worth it on the way to becoming a dancer!

With love, thanks and an arabesque

P.S is anyone else going to be at the Manchester auditions 17/01/17 ?

• Like 3

Firstly, welcome ArucariaBallerina. You should find lots of information on this forum and all the members are very friendly and helpful.

With regard to what to wear, my DD's RBS JA (and MA) teacher recommends to all her students that they wear a leotard called Carla (made by Arabesque) as it is a high legged one.  My DD's always required a little alteration as she is tiny and quite flat chested - I have removed most of the front ruching and shortened straps. Wear leotards with a belt as this helps the panel to see the alignment of your hips I understand.  Colour-wise, chose a colour that flatters you.  I would suggest you do want to stand out a little so that they can easily recall you as being one in a smaller group of colours, if that makes sense.  That said, my DD wore either royal blue or black as she is very fair and these colours really suit her.

Shoewise, wear the ones you are most comfortable in and that flatter your feet.  For most, this does seem to be split soles but I have seen such a variety at auditions I don't think it matters too much.

Lastly, good luck with the auditions.  The most important thing is to enjoy the class as that shows to the panel and, where they might have two girls of equal talent but one has more fire in her eyes, they will go with the one with the fire and obvious enjoyment.  Hope that makes sense.

Hi Arucariaballerina - I agree with the above advice. In general wear what flatters and is comfortable so definitely go with your favourite soft shoes. Most will just have elastics on soft shoes but it doesn't matter as long as you can get them on and off quickly - they may want you to do some exercises without shoes.

Re: leotards again comfort is most important. I think a camisole strap (or slightly thicker) is what most go for. I think these flatter a slim figure. They also prefer a simple strap arrangement so nothing too fussy with multiple criss crossing etc.

They do not expect you to buy new stuff for audition. Magenta would help you to stand out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

iam new also and about to organise photos for summer school applications so this topic of appearance is interesting...

I seem unable to start a new topic so far ???

can I ask about colour of leotard for a 10 year old for photo application ?

I have heard light colours are better to see alignment ?

is a dark colour too formal for a younger child?

any suggestions gratefully received ?

belt perhaps aswell?

what are they looking for in photos- feet/turnout/body propoprtions- at such a young age before puberty anything obvious they really want or don't want wrt body types?

know application is a massive long shot but iam a firm believer in trying

thanks  xxxx

• Like 1

iam new also and about to organise photos for summer school applications so this topic of appearance is interesting...

belt perhaps aswell?

what are they looking for in photos- feet/turnout/body propoprtions- at such a young age before puberty anything obvious they really want or don't want wrt body types?

thanks  xxxx

Emma Northmore on this forum appears to be the 'go to girl' for all things audition related. Incl photos

Everything from hairstyles, leotards, incl belts and shoes. 

She also runs audition master classes. 

Maybe worth dropping her a line.  Ex ENB and Elmhurst  :)

Hi leotardmum - welcome! Applying for SS is not such a long shot and it's a great experience. Regarding leotards we were always told paler colours for younger ones and also maybe a thicker strap than camisole other than that the same advice as above applies.

Regarding technical problems I've found the desk top site is easier to use the mobile one.

There is a search facility in the thumbnail grid where you can use keywords such as 'application ' to search for information in pre-existing threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just worn the Carla leotard (cotton, carnation colour) for class for the first time, and my oh my does it look beatiful! It really does make one look like a danseuse! Such high legs, such flattery of the body shape! I had to sew the shoulders in about 2 inches to fit (cambre backs were a tad indecent) but I definitely recommend it! (Carla loetard by Arabesque) Its exactly a month now until the audition... wishing everybody luck!  :wub:

• Like 3

belt perhaps aswell?

thanks  xxxx

Hi My dd started applying for SS at 10 years of age. For the photos she wore a simple black leotard because she didn't have anything else (she is pale with light brown hair). Worn without a belt and with the cleanest shoes and tights we could find. We took the photos in our sitting room against a plain wall. Her teacher helped with the poses to make sure she was shown to her best advantage i.e. stretched feet etc. We took loads of shots and then picked the best ones. We weren't expecting much tbh but she got places at both English National Ballet and Elmhurst which was a lovely surprise. Just give it a go  -you never know until you try! Good Luck