Rambert Sixth Form Auditions September 2017

Hydrangea14

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you applied early some of the applications weren't received because of a fault with their email system - there was a note on their website about it. Give them a ring and they will check whether your application arrived. Like us, you may have to re-send.

• Like 1

It has been nearly two weeks and heard nothing! Emailed today but no response?! Looking like DD isn't going to get an audition. Does any body know if they let you know either way?

I think everyone will get an audition so do contact them to see what is happening regarding your dd application.

• Like 1

Only one of the 7 audition dates is currently showing as full so I would definitely contact them to make sure your application has been received.

Maybe there is an email glitch or someone is off sick as we heard very quickly about an audition and then a same day response to a subsequent question. Maybe a phone call would be a good idea as they seem very friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

There was a policy for a couple of 6th form schools, can't remember the exact ones but I think Rambert was one where a UCAS application form had to be sent AS WELL AS individual application forms to the recognised schools. May be worth double checking their policy in case it is a simple admin error. I know previously some have missed out because of this simple error. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

There was a policy for a couple of 6th form schools, can't remember the exact ones but I think Rambert was one where a UCAS application form had to be sent AS WELL AS individual application forms to the recognised schools. May be worth double checking their policy in case it is a simple admin error. I know previously some have missed out because of this simple error. 

Good Luck

Not for Rambert thankfully. Its a really nice e-application form that you just paste everything into. I'm sure it will just be an administrative glitch Hydrangea.

• 1 month later...

What date are you there Karen, we are going 9th Feb. Interested to hear experiences also! Good luck for auditions this week.

Fri 10th for us. Looks like they have lots of audition days. Not been in the buildings or know much about the school so hoping audition day will give us a feel for the place. Good luck to your dd - shame we're not there on the same day.

• Like 1

They also hold overseas auditions and seem to have quite a few international students. We went to their open day in September and thought is was a very friendly and welcoming school. Very excited for February.

Yes we went to a public open day in September, had some lovely, friendly staff. Was much smaller than I realised. Not expecting anything as especially competitive to get in. DD doesn't do much pointe work, any idea how much emphasis is placed on that part of the audition?

Lilac from what I have heard from others, Rambert values creativity and choreographic skills in dancers above everything else. I have also heard that not everyone who applies is necessarily offered an audition. So you have already passed the first hurdle. I would be surprised if experience in pointe work was a deal breaker - neither Elmhurst preliminary nor the Ballet West audition included any pointe work at all.

Lilac from what I have heard from others, Rambert values creativity and choreographic skills in dancers above everything else. I have also heard that not everyone who applies is necessarily offered an audition. So you have already passed the first hurdle. I would be surprised if experience in pointe work was a deal breaker - neither Elmhurst preliminary nor the Ballet West audition included any pointe work at all.

For a £50 application fee I would hope that all are offered an audition

• Like 1

The way I read things the £50 is for admin, and they won't necessarily audition an applicant? Also they look at more photos than most of the schools that DD has applied to. Just pointe work is mentioned at the audition so an issue in DDs mind!

• Like 1

My DD is also a bit worried about pointe work because she's only been doing it for 6 months (intermediate level) but she said she's just gonna go out there and give it her best shot! She's only been doing ballet for 2 and a half years and only started syllabus work 7 months ago... the audition will be an experience either way :)

Edited by myZaira

Well I went back and looked at their website and it says in the course section: "students are streamed to ensure they are working at a pace appropriate to their level and previous experience. This enables us to select students with a diverse range of previous training". It also says elsewhere that they are looking for talent and potential. Finally I did double check their admissions policy and they are very clear that there is no guarantee of an audition when you apply (the £50 is an administrative fee). So if you have an audition offer on the basis of the experience you have, they must think its enough?

Edited by Guest

Yes, that's presumably what they use the photos for? DD passed Advanced 1 so is supposedly working for Adv 2 but is the only one in the class which is often cancelled so doesn't really do lots of ballet. Plans to do the Contemporary solo she is using for her Contemporary audition if a solo is asked for.Just really doing Rambert for the experience, with no expectations! Suppose on paper if she said working at Adv 2 they will have expectations of her! What about your daughter Mnemo?

Hi Lilac my dd is Advanced 1 standard. She would be in same situation as your dd once her exam is taken (i.e lonely in Adv 2) which is why she is keen to go full time in September. Other courses we have looked at have suggested knowledge of Intermediate syllabus as minimum standard for ballet. We know that the odds of getting a place are long but it will be an interesting experience.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, but Dd will be applying for Rambert for 2018 entry. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about where the students live? Their website says that they point you towards private sector options and try to link you up with other students, but I believe private landlords are generally unwilling to rent to under 18s. Central benefits from being close to Liberty Living accommodation which will take under 18s. Not sure how the 16/17 year olds get on near Rambert though?? I guess there aren’t that many of them - think it has been mentioned before that most of their intake are 18?? 

Blue Lou we were told at the open day that 16/17 year olds are encouraged to home stay. There are a number of under 18 students. Commuting is not encouraged (we live an hour away) because the days are very long.

We went to the public open day in September, all I remember them saying about accomodation is that you can look through air bnb? No idea how that works, DD is now 18 so wouldn't be an issue for her. I think more are 18, there were taster classes that day and I think more in the oldest group were 18.

• Like 1