Masters of Ballet - Easter and Summer Courses

atacrossroads

Masters of ballet have just announced the dates for their Easter and Summer Schools in 2017.

Elena Glurjidze (former ENB Principal) and Olga Semenova (Director of Russian Imperial Ballet School) are the Artistic Directors and both courses will once again be at Sadlers Wells.

The guest teachers include Elena Glurjidze and other industry professionals and I've heard only fantastic things about these courses, so I thought it worth sharing the link below!

http://www.mastersofballet.org

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to correct spelling mistakes at request of OP
  • Like 4

Interesting that for the Easter course, the Masters Pre-Seniors state that pointe work is not essential but then the Seniors need at least 3 years pointe work. 

Challenging if your DC is 14 and has taken IF, with limited pointe experience but certainly not classed as a Novice.

Fantastic opportunity though.  

Edited by balletbean

It looks like for the Easter course, seniors need to be 15 and a minimum of Advanced 1, so I'd assume that the juniors is for students under 15 and up to and including Adv Foundation.

Hi, They actually mention Pre seniors at Easter "up to IF or Grade 6" (up to 15). There just seems to be a massive Grande Jete (excuse the pun) from those requirements to the seniors, with nothing in between. ;) I will try and email them to clarify as Masters are not the only one to use this age group as a bench mark. 

As the application is supported by a video I would imagine that there is a 'grey' area for those children that lie in between and Masters of Ballet will make a final decision based on the work shown in the video. Paris Opera Ballet make their final grouping decision based on the video application too.

Hopefully you'll get a reply from them in the next few days and can clarify the situation.

I know a few DC who did the Summer Course last year (and all felt they had gained hugely from it) and were all placed in groups that they were very happy in. We didn't know about it but will definitely be applying this time around :)

• Like 1

I had a reply within a few hours, very impressed.

Olga asked for my DD's video to assess my DD's ability. The issue lies with the fact that we haven't prepared a video yet as we weren't sure about whether to apply or not. Only have the usual photos.

Just waiting for another reply. Don't really want the hassle to set up video and studio time if the course is a non-starter. Waiting for another reply.  ;)

Ps I understand pupils need to be challenged but I also don't want DD to feel intimidated and overwhelmed. It's difficult. Might not go any further............

Edited by balletbean

I think the best solution for anyone with a DC who's interested, would be to ask their ballet teacher if they would mind the recording being done during their usual class (the child in question would have to be in a position whereby other children in the class weren't in the video). Most ballet classes will be covering all of these exercises during a class anyway.

Alternatively you could film it against a blank wall at home in a room with a laminate/wood/Lino floor using a sturdy chair instead of a barre. It's the standard of execution that they'll be appraising rather than your filming or location :) Any ballet music from iTunes could be used, or the RAD/ISTD music from you tube videos.

I filmed my DDs application video for Paris Opera on my iPad and then downloaded the iMovie app to put the exercises together into one film. You can then upload the video to YouTube if you have an account. The link can then be sent to Masters of Ballet.

Edited by atacrossroads

Update time;

After the initial prompt reply from Olga, sadly I have not had a response to the video they requested.

The video was for them to decide which group my DD should apply for.

That was over a week ago. I think this may be a non-starter. :(  

Edited by balletbean

Balletbean, I also spoke to Olga about the video application and she said she was flying out to Hong Kong to teach this week and would consider early videos during the Christmas Holidays. They don't expect to receive many before the New Year as most people don't do their applications until then.

They run fantastic courses with pupils from ENB School and RBS attending, but they do not run a full time office so correspondence will only be viewed once or twice a week at this time of year. I'd contact Olga again at the end of term when she's back from Hong Kong.

• Like 1

Balletbean, I also spoke to Olga about the video application and she said she was flying out to Hong Kong to teach this week and would consider early videos during the Christmas Holidays. They don't expect to receive many before the New Year as most people don't do their applications until then.

They run fantastic courses with pupils from ENB School and RBS attending, but they do not run a full time office so correspondence will only be viewed once or twice a week at this time of year. I'd contact Olga again at the end of term when she's back from Hong Kong.

Thank you, that has been very kind of you to get involved. I very much appreciate your support.  :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...