The Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, London, November 2016

If there is a problem with Muntagirov it is that the elegance and ease of his approach to this sort of classical set piece makes the whole thing look far too simple and easy.I began to wonder if these established dancers had set the bar far too high for the dancers making their debuts as the overall effect of their performances had been to suggest that there are no technical  challenges lurking in the choreographic text and that all a dancer needs to do is get on and dance it.

This seems an extraordinary thing to say, FLOSS. It is surely the gracious (apparent) ease of Muntagirov's dancing (especially in princely roles) which helps to make his performances so special. Are you suggesting that this amazing facility, doubtless borne of very hard work as well as innate talent, is a minus and that male dancers should make their dancing look effortful in order that we might appreciate it more? 

If Muntagirov (and, maybe, others) set the bar high that is surely something for other dancers to aspire to and for us, their lucky audience, to marvel at.

• Like 7

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems an extraordinary thing to say, FLOSS. It is surely the gracious (apparent) ease of Muntagirov's dancing (especially in princely roles) which helps to make his performances so special. Are you suggesting that this amazing facility, doubtless borne of very hard work as well as innate talent, is a minus and that male dancers should make their dancing look effortful in order that we might appreciate it more? 

If Muntagirov (and, maybe, others) set the bar high that is surely something for other dancers to aspire to and for us, their lucky audience, to marvel at.

I read FLOSS's comment very much as a compliment to Muntagirov, not as a criticism - i.e. he's so good it all looks effortless, which is a hard act to follow!

• Like 3

I begin to worry that I have lost the ability to express myself clearly. I thought that my choice of words would have made it clear to regular readers of posts on this site that my comments are intended as a wholehearted endorsement of Muntagirov's style and approach to such set pieces. I think that Kevin's decision to give him a contract is one of the best thing to have happened to the company in years and that it would be a very good thing if every one of the young men dancing in the company who want to progress through the ranks and aspire to dance the princely roles took him as a role model and adopted his approach to such roles where ease and elegance are all important.  I don't think that I said anything about Reece Clarke's performance as the SPF's prince/ cavalier. He too danced the choreography with such ease and elegance that he made it look normal, natural and childishly simple.

The following is a general comment and really it has little to do with Muntagirov's  or Clarke's performances..If anything it is a "For the Avoidance of Doubt" paragraph. I know that there are people who don't believe in emploi because they believe it pigeonholes dancers and traps them in certain roles. I also know  that when the company did apply emploi the rules were,if only through pragmatism, always far more widely drawn than they were, and perhaps continue to be, at the POB. I will simply say that I believe that princely roles should be danced in a noble manner with ease, elegance and no apparent effort. Princes don't sweat or at least they should not give the impression that they do. I think that it is perfectly possible for a dancer who is through physique and temperament naturally a demi character dancer to perform princely roles most convincingly and to be outstanding in them. Stephen Jeffries was just such a dancer and he was an outstanding prince and a totally compelling Albrecht. But demi character dancers have to perform such roles as noble ones rather than performing them as if they are desperate to be cast as the Bluebird. I don't much care for dancers who treat princely roles merely as an opportunity to display their technique. I hope that this resolves any ambiguity which others may have detected in my  earlier comments.

Muntagirov does not appear to have made much of an impression when he guested with ABT and I begin to wonder whether this was because he treats roles as roles rather than opportunities for very obvious bravura display. If that is the reason  for the muted response to his appearances with ABT all I can say is that I hope that he continues to be of that opinion throughout his career.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 10

I begin to worry that I have lost the ability to express myself clearly. I thought that my choice of words would have made it clear to regular readers of posts on this site that my comments are intended as a wholehearted endorsement of Muntagirov's style and approach to such set pieces. I think that Kevin's decision to give him a contract is one of the best thing to have happened to the company in years and that it would be a very good thing if every one of the young men dancing in the company who want to progress through the ranks and aspire to dance the princely roles took him as a role model and adopted his approach to such roles where ease and elegance are all important.  

Thank you for the clarification, FLOSS. I have a feeling that Muntagirov already is a role model for some of the younger dancers. One has only to watch the faces of the 'bystanders' in Act 3 of Sleeping Beauty to sense that.

• Like 3

Alison. In order to have a legally binding contract you need one party to make an offer, and the other party to accept it and "consideration", an identifiable benefit to be conferred by one party to the contract on the other. At this point  I don't think that it matters who initiated the negotiations which resulted in Muntagirov joining the RB. I assume that his contract as Principal dancer was drawn up by those responsible for such things at the Opera House which is why I used the words "Kevin's decision to give him a contract...". I was not trying to resurrect the "RB "poached" Muntagirov" story.which I think was very silly and without any substance and merely one of those non-stories that are written by journalists whose main area of activity is entertainment  and whose general remit is to write/make up stories about minor "celebrities " of whom very few people have ever heard.

FLOSS:  'Muntagirov does not appear to have made much of an impression when he guested with ABT' 

FLOSS what do you base this statement on?  (So many statements you make in so many of your commentaries are rather universal in nature and often leave me wondering what your specific source/(s) for such broad statements is/(are).  This is just one small example of a great many.)  I'm sure - because of this - in this one specific instance - you must have seen at least one of the two occasions that Muntagirov guested with ABT in NYC yourself.  He was asked back of course .. and that so early in his gloriously major career.  That too is without doubt an honour offered to only a very few.

In doing a quick search on comments I found this:

"Smirnova was blessed to have the noble and unfailingly attentive Vadim Muntagirov as a partner. He has the physique and authoritative presence of a warrior, and soared in his solos. When ordered to wed the Rajah’s beautiful, haughty daughter, he conveyed mixed emotions magnificently. Crushed and soulful in the Act II Shades scene, he knew that he had helped engineer Nikiya’s destruction. And when he wakes from his opium-induced hallucination, he turns frantic, grabbing at the attending soldiers as if pleading with them to tell him what in hell is going on. We feel his pain.

5453-la_b_smirnova_muntagirov.jpg
Olga Smirnova and Vadim Muntagirov in La Bayadère
© Gene Schiavone

Muntagirov is a terrific partner, and most everything was seamless. Clearly the audience loved them. "

... FLOSS, this does not sound to me like Muntagirov did not 'make much of an impression'.  I have friends who saw his performances and they were DEEPLY impressed.  So much so in fact that they have arranged their schedules to be able to see him dance with the RB in London.  

Oh and Macauley of the NYT at the time said:  

"Mr. Muntagirov, tall with a long neck and distinguished bearing [...]  Mr. Muntagirov and Mr. Matvienko both executed all the turns and jumps with more than sufficient flair; both are skillful partners. Mr. Muntagirov has more nobility, Mr. Matvienko more force and presence. My impression is that Mr. Muntagirov has more to give than this role allows him to show, but he is the more discreet of the two. "

FLOSS, I, myself, would call that MAKING  'an impression' ... and one must remembere that this was in 2012 and Munitagirov's extraordinary capacity as a world danseur has surely only been enhanced since that time.  

We are so lucky to be able to share in his extraordinary artistry at our home base.  

Edited by alison
To cut down quote
  • Like 7

I had the privilege and pleasure of seeing Muntagirov dance one of his ABT Solors (2004). He was very enthusiastically received by the audience.

I don't want to speculate but I am sure that dancers of Muntagirov's calibre receive all sorts of invitations to guest that we never hear anything about because their 'home company' has first call on their time. Indeed, I have heard it said (by another dancer) that some companies such as ABT like their guests to be able to commit a block of time rather than flying in and out and that is only possible, of course, if their schedules permit.

• Like 4

Muntagirov is invited to dance all over the world. Recently, he danced Conrad in Vienna Opera Ballet's Corsaire and he has also danced in Japan a lot.

and I'm entirely certain he makes a major (positive) 'impression' at all of these many different locations.   Given the advanced state of his magnificent artistry how could he not?

• Like 5

FLOSS: 'Muntagirov does not appear to have made much of an impression when he guested with ABT'

FLOSS what do you base this statement on? (So many statements you make in so many of your commentaries are rather universal in nature and often leave me wondering what your specific source/(s) for such broad statements is/(are). This is just one small example of a great many.) I'm sure - because of this - in this one specific instance - you must have seen at least one of the two occasions that Muntagirov guested with ABT in NYC yourself. He was asked back of course .. and that so early in his gloriously major career. That too is without doubt an honour offered to only a very few.

Bruce, if you read through threads on Ballet Alert you'll see both some enthusiastic comments and a different take on some of Muntagirov's appearances about not connecting to his partner (Vadim?! I always think he could connect to a stone if necessary) or not being showy enough. But in reality no dancer can please everyone.

Somewhat more on topic - I saw my last Nutcracker of this season yesterday, and was again very taken with O'Sullivan and Hay. James Hay's soft and elegant movements are just a piece of beauty.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 3

Bruce, if you read through threads on Ballet Alert you'll see both some enthusiastic comments and a different take on some of Muntagirov's appearances about not connecting to his partner (Vadim?! I always think he could connect to a stone if necessary) or not being showy enough. But in reality no dancer can please everyone.

Somewhat more on topic - I saw my last Nutcracker of this season yesterday, and was again very taken with O'Sullivan and Hay. James Hay's soft and elegant movements are just a piece of beauty.

Much thanks for yours, Coated.  I somehow suspect - or at least I hope - that FLOSS did not base her overall generalisation as referenced on idle Forum chit chat.  As suggested it is there - as in so many similar instances - of course, hard to know.  

I agree with you entirely about James Hay.  He only becomes ever more elegant in his balletic deliveries.  

Marvellous photo of Olga Smirnova and Vadim Muntagirov in La Bayadere, would love to see them dance this!

Got the chance to see Vadim Muntagirov and Sarah Lamb in Nutcracker on Friday, so elegant together, can see why they would be perfect in SB.

All the talented young soloists make Nutcracker very exciting, more so now than I can remember, and with Hikaru Kobayashi as Rose Fairy, Leticia Stock and Marcelino Sambe as Clara and Hans, it was as good as Nutcracker gets!

Loads of children in the audience but they were good as gold, great atmosphere.

• Like 4

Monday evening (9th Jan) was my last Nutcracker of this season. A shame we didn't have Emma Maguire and Tristan Dyer as Clara and Hans-Peter, but in their stead we had the excellent Anna Rose O'Sullivan and James Hay. Then Act 2 brought us the delicious Sugar Plum of Yuhui Choe and the gorgeous Rose Fairy of Claire Calvert.

Thank you to all the company for the many excellent Nutcracker performances I've seen this season. And yes, cameos amongst the party guests, and various behaviors by Clara's friend and dancing mistress were noticed. Well done that servant who wouldn't let the young friend get hold of the drinks! 

• Like 5

I was intending to miss the Nutcracker, but got a late ticket to last nights performance. 

I have to admit to having rather a soft spot for Anna Rose O’Sullivan. She always stands out for me in the corps, not just as an exquisite dancer, but for the character and commitment that she brings to every role. Her Clara was both wonderfully danced and acted; I had a good chuckle at her teasing Fritz with the nutcracker doll before he breaks it. I hope that the company continues to push her forward and we see more of her in the future. Preferably with James Hay if possible. His Hans-Peter was impeccably danced, he gave a very good rendition of the mime scene, and he and O’Sullivan looked very good together. I have high hopes for the partnership. 

Whilst she come in for some stick, I thought Salenko danced the Sugar Plum Fairy with complete authority, and was ably partnered by McRae. The audience certainly seemed to enjoy it anyway. She was almost ponderous in her execution of the steps, as if everything was oh so easy for her. Of course, McRae’s variation was flawless. 

The star of the show for me though was Beatriz Stix-Brunell’s Rose Fairy. This was the first time I have seen her in a “major” role and I was captivated by her demeanour on stage. I am having trouble putting it into words, but I think she was almost showy; supremely confident, but not in such a way as to upstage the Sugar Plum Fairy, and a little bit mischievous. 

Of course the Snowflakes were wonderful, and the Arabian dance (Olivia Cowley) and the Russian Dance (Benjamin Ella and David Yudes) went down very well. Lots of children in the audience, which is nice, and a little girl a few rows in front of me audibly gasped when she saw the Sugar Plum Fairy for the first time. She also started humming along to the Dance of the MIrlitons, which was less endearing…

Also, Olivia Cowley borrowed some of Drosselmeyer’s glitter for her curtain call as the Arabian. Gary Avis needs to watch his back! Any reason we can’t have a female Drosselmeyer? 

A note on cast change slips. When I arrived a 7pm there was only one left at the programme stand at the bottom of the main staircase (which I took and then put back when I realised I had one in my red programme - thinking of you). I didn’t see any at amphitheatre level. There was an additional change announced before curtain up. 

I don’t know how many of you get the red programmes, but I just wanted to mention the extra effort put into this one. Normally, the synopsis is a block of text on white much like in the cast sheet. For the Nutcracker they have split the story up over several pages of photos showing key points in the story, including some foldout pages. I always find the programs good value, I enjoy reading them during intervals and on the train home, and appreciated the extra effort put in for this one. 

All round a very enjoyable evening. The Nutcracker has never been my favourite ballet, but having seen it in the theatre now, I’m starting to understand why it is so popular. A spectacle indeed.

• Like 7

Whilst she come in for some stick, I thought Salenko danced the Sugar Plum Fairy with complete authority

In all fairness, I don't think it's Salenko herself who comes in for the stick, it's that she keeps being brought in as a guest when some people think that there are (relatively small) ballerinas in the company who might benefit from the opportunity to dance the roles instead. 

(And please don't let's start opening that can of worms again)

• Like 9