Associate classes and additional costs

OnlyDance

Hello, is anyone able to advise on what additional costs are reasonable for associate schemes? Bit of background, my dd has recently started attending a scheme and whilst I knew it would be a stretch financially I had factored in cost of sessions, travel and uniform. Unfortunately, what I hadn't factored in was performance costs (mainly because perhaps naively I hadn't realised there would be any performances!) i.e. additional travel and purchasing tickets for the performances. Is it "usual" for associate schemes to have performance opportunities? I've searched the forum and seen that RBS JA do performances however do you "pay to perform" or is it the case that if I wanted to watch I would simply need to buy a ticket. However if I couldn't afford to buy a ticket that wouldn't prevent my dd from taking part? 

• Like 1

Hi onlydance. My dd is performing in BRB's Nutcracker this year, she was auditioned during a normal RBS JA class and when she got the offer of a place we could choose to accept or decline (as it's a huge time commitment). It was made clear that the children wouldn't be thought badly of if they didn't do it as a result of the schedule etc.

The children don't have to pay to be in it and we get expenses paid at a fixed rate for 1 adult and my dd for each rehearsal and performance. The only cost (apart from optional shopping excursions while waiting and countless costas etc ????) is your tickets to watch and this is entirely up to you, the school have no idea how many times we watch, if at all, so definitely wouldn't preclude your child from taking part ????Xxxx

• Like 1

PS if any BigCo people are following this...this is one of the things you need to fix with regard to access. Whether you choose to comp anyone whose kid is performing, or just explicitly say it doesn't matter, all good (but first option preferable). But that uncertainty...am I ruled out in some way?...that's how the class system works.

• Like 2

I'm sure that a word with director or company manager would help secure a complimentary ticket. All theatres have a few house seats reserved for each show and it would be a totally heartless system that precluded a parent watching a child in a show. Be brave and ask.

• Like 4

My dd's were very lucky to be given the opportunity to perform when JA/MA's. On each occasion, assistance was given with travel expenses and parents were invited to watch the pre gen rehearsal (for free. The travel expenses were paid by the company and not the RBS. Unsure from your post if your dd is Royal associate but hopefully other schemes may offer similar 'perks'when asking their associates to perform. Hope you can manage to do it, good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies. 

Just to answer a couple of questions and to also clarify my original post.

Hi sarahw, I don't wish to disclose which scheme but will say it isn't a big one. It wasn't my intention to make it sound like I'd be paying for dd to perform as that isn't the case - it's more subtle! It isn't compulsory to take part and certainly I'm not feeling any pressure from the company director. Just that dd would love to take part and is feeling left out and upset that she can't as it would mean additional travel and ticket costs. And no is wasn't mentioned up front.  I'd just thought any performing would be the parents watching a class at the end of term or similar!

sarahw, on 24 Nov 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Hi Only dance
The main Associate Schemes don't charge to perform unless you have a choice to not take part.

Are you willing to say what scheme it is? We're these costs mentioned up front?

I'm sure that a word with director or company manager would help secure a complimentary ticket. All theatres have a few house seats reserved for each show and it would be a totally heartless system that precluded a parent watching a child in a show. Be brave and ask.

Perhaps it will come to that in the new year  :) . I did ask to pay the fees in installments (I felt brave enough to ask that after reading a thread on here!). However, I don't like to be "that parent" who's always asking for special treatment :(

I think you need to clarify whether the performance opportunities are an add on which you may choose to audition for or not, as in the above posts. Or whether they are obligatory and thus a way of bumping up fees. If the latter I would not be happy at all!

They are an add on - no audition is necessary, and not obligatory (but dd feels left out). Friends in rl feel it's way of bumping up fees but they are non-ballet people hence me asking on here if it's usual.

It really does seem that the big companies do help out with travel expense costs etc so maybe if dd is lucky enough in the future to get into RBS associate scheme or similar it would solve this problem. 

It really ought to be mentioned at the start when you make the commitment to attend the scheme. There are some that are primarily performance oriented and while they are expensive, you know that the expense leads to a performance with costumes etc and the only additional outlay then will be buying tickets to watch the performance when it comes round.

If you are 'sold' a programme that is NOT performance oriented, and made your commitment to such a programme, who then throw in the additional option of a performance mid-way through the year, I consider this to be quite unfair, especially if they are then charging rehearsal fees and costume fees in addition. I know that costs have to be covered including teachers time, venue costs and materials but if someone then cannot participate due to this additional cost then at best a child will feel excluded, left out or isolated from their peers and at worst could be treated unfairly by the staff due to a perceived lack of commitment/effort. 

Having said that, I would like to hope that most dance teachers are understanding enough of personal circumstance and would hate to feel that someone was anxious or unable to participate due to costs - so try having a chat with the organiser/teacher and see if they can offer any advice or support.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A proper associate scheme will be fully focused on the precise training of each child. Obviously with RB there can be some great performance opportunities but otherwise its training and watching last class of term.

I allow mine to attend rehearsals for opportunities such as LCB as performing is important to a point. The training must not be over shadowed by excess rehearsals as we all know too much time off leaves the dancer weeks behind.

I have gone to great lengths to keep costs as low as possible in all areas as its vital all children have the opportunity to attend these classes.

• Like 2