Audition timings

Lilac

DD is auditioning for largely Contemporary courses to start age 18. Her main applications for this are LSC, Laban, London Contemporary and Northern Contemporary. Some seem to let you choose dates and some allocate them, first come first served. At present she has ended up with 2 December dates, which I'm not sure if that's wise or whether she's best waiting until February when she's had more tuition, time to prepare solo and for interviews etc. DD feels it's terrible to ask to move a date, but I've got the impression at open days that it's no issue, and certainly won't count against you! Does anyone have any experience/opinions about if it's best to audition in the beginning/middle/end of the audition season. In general places seem to be allocated in batches. She did also have a December date for LSC but because she does associates there they moved it saying it was better to take advantage of more tuition, which really makes me concerned about December auditions when they go through to March! Thanks.

Just a thought about LSC auditions - the finals are quite late, or at least they were last year. If I recall rightly it was the last place that DD heard from last year and I think most of her friends had finished auditions by then too. So if you have an early preliminary it's a long wait,but a very late audition won't leave much time to prepare the solo if you get through to the finals. (You have to select the solo from a list they send you when you get the preliminary results.) I'd probably out for late-ish but not the very last dates if you get the option.

Hi, LSC is the least of our worries at present! DD does the Saturday Associate programme there which helps there, they moved her audition from December to February saying it was better to audition later which was lovely. Yes their finals are later so will be nearer that. She would love to train there but not sure we'd be able to afford it with the lower rate of loans, and means tested scholarships. We always just fall into the bracket where you get no assistance, but with a mortgage and a daughter at medical school do not have a lot of surplus. My biggest worry is that for both London contemporary and Laban she has ended up with December dates, and I am really not convinced she will be ready, especially with a solo. Really dread her wasting her most hopeful chances by not braving asking to move an audition!

• Like 1

My DC did one of her auditions in the October, told she had got finals and this helped her confidence for the other auditions. Whereas her friend didn't get finals and it was her dream college, this helped her make decision to stay on and do Additional academic exams and still dance and try again the next year if she still wanted to.

For my DC 2 auditions done before Christmas would be great. Don't forget the judges can spot talent a mile off, they are not looking for the finished product they are looking for the potential, passion and dedicated dancer who has facility.

Mental preparation is key, so I suggest you turn everything in to a positive throughout the process.

Good luck

When my DD auditioned her dates ranged from early November to late February and it was the December auditions she got offers from! To be honest I don't think it makes much difference - a few weeks extra tuition at this level is not going to mean much. And that's even supposing you even get those extra few weeks. Most schools will close for Christmas and New Year anyway and there is always the weather to contend with. The year my DD auditioned we missed several classes in January due to snow and the journey for the last one in February was a nightmare.

Good luck to your DD though

• Like 1

Unless the dancer is recovering from an injury and really does need more time to get back to normal, I don't think a few weeks is going to make much difference either way.  Academic commitments might be worth checking, when are mocks are scheduled for Yr 11s?  Schools seem to differ, some before Christmas and some after.  Also I note some of my pupils have controlled assessments in various subjects at the moment.

My DC did one of her auditions in the October, told she had got finals and this helped her confidence for the other auditions. Whereas her friend didn't get finals and it was her dream college, this helped her make decision to stay on and do Additional academic exams and still dance and try again the next year if she still wanted to.

For my DC 2 auditions done before Christmas would be great. Don't forget the judges can spot talent a mile off, they are not looking for the finished product they are looking for the potential, passion and dedicated dancer who has facility.

Mental preparation is key, so I suggest you turn everything in to a positive throughout the process.

Good luck

Hello Canary, I just wanted to wish you a belated welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

Both my DDs did early and later auditions and both got offers from the early ones. I don't think it makes a difference either. Plus that way, their minds were more free to concentrate on academic exams later on in the year.

Hello Janet Decided to join as mine has been through the mill and come out the other end with a big smile on her face. Thought I might be able to give my opinion and suggestions whilst I still remember how important it is for the dancer, but how important it is that the dancer has a calm avid supporter by their side throughout the process.

• Like 5

i think it's best to get the earlier ones tbh, i've gone for the earlier the better this year! as obviously the places are allocated in batches but if you have the last audition date they're going to have a large number of candidates that they like the look of already, if that makes sense?

Hello Janet Decided to join as mine has been through the mill and come out the other end with a big smile on her face. Thought I might be able to give my opinion and suggestions whilst I still remember how important it is for the dancer, but how important it is that the dancer has a calm avid supporter by their side throughout the process.

If you can 'do' calm throughout this process (as the poem says, if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those 2 imposters both the same)then you are doing very well indeed. I can only manage 'surface calm' - the kind that sneaks off for a glass of wine at 9pm.

Hi, LSC is the least of our worries at present! DD does the Saturday Associate programme there which helps there, they moved her audition from December to February saying it was better to audition later which was lovely. Yes their finals are later so will be nearer that. She would love to train there but not sure we'd be able to afford it with the lower rate of loans, and means tested scholarships. We always just fall into the bracket where you get no assistance, but with a mortgage and a daughter at medical school do not have a lot of surplus. My biggest worry is that for both London contemporary and Laban she has ended up with December dates, and I am really not convinced she will be ready, especially with a solo. Really dread her wasting her most hopeful chances by not braving asking to move an audition!

Hi, Can I just jump onto this feed. 

With regard funding, I'm not UK based so not really up to speed on all things relating to Student Loans, however wI do have local knowledge which may travel quite well. 

Research through your local Arts Trusts/ Theatres or even local authority. There are many Trusts and local benefactors out there that offer scholarships, bursaries or similar who support the Arts. Every little but helps, even towards shoes/uniform or travel. Well worth looking into and sending off a few letters. ;)  

Those are interesting thoughts thanks. Such a shame about the funding aspect as LSC would probably be DDs first choice with the broader course, and in some ways one of the most hopeful with the Associate connection.

Re timings, my biggest concern is that DD has one of her most crucial auditions on 12th December and for various reasons, largely other dance commitments is going to be lucky to have the 1 minute solo finished never mind polished by then! I just don't want her to throw her chances away which is why I feel we need to move it!

Out of interest how much weight to people think dance colleges place on interviews, say compared with the practical part of an audition? Feel it's something else needing preparation!

Thanks

Mnemo may I edit that to 'outwardly calm'

Although I did slightly better than a poor mum in the premier inn, 'flapping a leotard dry' as she walked in to breakfast then placed in on to a radiator whilst our daughters barely touched their £8 continental breakfast. Then flapped it about on way to her car to put it on the car heater. Her daughter had changed her mind at the last minute about which leotard to wear and had chosen the 'lucky leotard' which mum had put in the wash.

Look on the bright side, damp leotards fit snugly !

• Like 4

Based on our (limited) experience, I get the sense that dance colleges are looking for passion, sincerity and commitment (the hungry-eyed look!). If your dc has had to write a personal statement that's a good basis for how to present yourself. Do your homework about the place (alumni, collaborations, competitions that they are taking part in), so that you can convey why you want to go to that particular college as opposed to just wanting to dance. If you are going from non vocational to full time training, be prepared to explain how you are going to be able to make that transition. Be ready to talk about where you want dance to take you. And have some questions ready to ask to show how interested you are. Hope this helps.

Mnemo may I edit that to 'outwardly calm'

Although I did slightly better than a poor mum in the premier inn, 'flapping a leotard dry' as she walked in to breakfast then placed in on to a radiator whilst our daughters barely touched their £8 continental breakfast. Then flapped it about on way to her car to put it on the car heater. Her daughter had changed her mind at the last minute about which leotard to wear and had chosen the 'lucky leotard' which mum had put in the wash.

Look on the bright side, damp leotards fit snugly !

I'm only laughing to myself as I can picture the scene. Reminds me of dance competitions where you are physically sewing a child into a costume as they walk into the wings!!  :huh:

Oh, bless them both, and you of course.  :P

• Like 3

She would love to train there but not sure we'd be able to afford it with the lower rate of loans, and means tested scholarships. We always just fall into the bracket where you get no assistance, but with a mortgage and a daughter at medical school do not have a lot of surplus. 

Just in case people wonder... LSC students get £6000 from Student Finance for the fees. This is valid (so far) for UK and EU students. Students can also get more as a Maintenance loan depending on the parents income. That's where it's different for UK based or non UK based students. But we weren't UK based when DD1 started and she still got the same loan as if we'd live in the UK. My experience is that non UK based British students get the same as UK based ones. EU students only get help with the fees. It might change soon of course...

Edited by afab
  • Like 2

At Laban they subdivided them into several groups and took them off to do different classes and then rotated them through interviews etc.  The parents were treated very well, given a tour of the building and we even managed to squint sideways as we passed classes of the candidates!  This was followed by a talk and Q & A session for the parents, where we were also taken through the process of student funding and options for those who were coming from overseas.

At LCDS parents were barely allowed into the lobby where the candidates sign in.  DH had dropped us off and gone to park the car and I was made to feel the lowest of the low as I waited for him!

Went to the open day at Laban last month, so with work commitments am not able to accompany her. Luckily she knows someone else auditioning that day from her college, so they're planning to travel up together. LCDS didn't seem to have open days, DD managed to pick up a workshop there inhalf term so at least she has some idea what's there before auditioning. Seems a lot heavier there with two rounds of auditions, and the solo to prepare! I think DD will just go to that one on her own, especially now I know you can't go in, a lot to pay rush hour fares for that! Any idea how quickly the results came out, must be longer with Laban going through QUCAS?

• Like 1

Gosh that's quick anondancer_15.

Thanks Sarah

Wondering, it it possible you could be told no or waiting list now and then be offered a place down the line? Presumably there must be a lot of movement with people who are offered multiple places having to turn some down later on? Just trying to be hopeful!