Ideas for lovely ballet themed things to do with my ill grandmother

Blossom

Have had some bad news this week that my grandma is terminally ill - diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and nothing they can do. She is the person who brought ballet into my life beyond taking ballet classes. When I was growing up in Manchester, we used to see everything which came to Manchester theatres and since moving to London, I taunt her share all of the performances I go to here, almost taking advantage of the opportunities on her behalf. Ballet is our special bond, ontop of everything else she is and has done as my grandma.

I am going up to spend some time with her next week and essentially will be spending all the time I see her at her house. Other than taking up a collection of DVDs to watch together, including a favourite of mine which I didn't get to share last time I went up with the family, any ideas for something lovely and ballet themed we could do? I want to take her mind off everything and also have lasting memories for me.

Other than what you already plan and assuming your dear grandma is not well enough to go out, I can't really suggest anything other than to just spend that precious time together, try to relax and enjoy each others company. Watch the dvds and have a nice talk about performances you have been to, together or separately, which you enjoyed and which not. These kind of talks can remind you of things you have forgotten, be entertaining for you both and create new memories in themselves. I am sure your grandma will be very pleased to see you and spend time with you, whatever you do.

Best wishes to you both.

• Like 6

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma, Blossom.

Something silly I know, but if your Grandma is able to eat cupcakes can you order some from a baker who makes them to order.  The top could be done to look like the skirt of a tutu.  A friend did some like this for me when I left work.

I think Jacqueline has given you some wise advice.  The best gift you can give your Grandma is your time.

• Like 6

I like the cake idea too. I was thinking that if your grandma can tolerate or even likes a little bubbly, you could get a small bottle of champagne or prosecco or even elderflower type fizz and have a little cocktail together with the cakes. I don't drink alcohol but I love elderflower bubbly in a champagne flute.

• Like 3

Also sorry to hear about your grandma blossom. This is tricky because I suppose it depends on what she is up to doing, may tire easily, may not feel like eating much, feel overwhelmed.

How about some dainty but plain ROH style sandwiches to go with the cupcakes? Reading excerpts from a biography or just listening to ballet music if she'd rather shut her eyes for a bit? How about a bit of a pampering? Maybe a gentle hand/foot massage, manicure/pedicure?

I have to say, your post touches a chord because we also had a mother/grandmother in the family who passed on her love more so of classical ballet music and proudly bought her ballet dancing granddaughter her first ballet shoes and uniform. She is definitely with us in spirit now with all things ballet related :-) .

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about your Grandma Blossom.  I'm sure that just spending time with you will be wonderful for her, but if she cannot get out and about much have you thought about bedazzling an old pair of your pointe shoes with crystals.  You can buy them cheap on amazon & ebay.  I did this for my DD as a surprise for Christmas one year and she now has them hung in her bedroom.  It's something that you could do together, and that you could keep as a wonderful reminder of your time together once she is gone.

Other than that I don't have any new suggestions other than the one's already mentioned.

• Like 3

What really lovely suggestions, and I too am so sorry to hear about your Grandma, Blossom. My darling Grandma died only a couple of years ago and she and I were such great friends. It's a special bond.

I think the tiny sandwiches and cupcakes are a super idea. My Grandma adored afternoon tea so maybe you could take a very tiny DIY afternoon tea to her one day and enjoy it together. As well as watching DVDs, if you have an ipad or other tablet, you could maybe watch the Royal Ballet rehearsals and/or Insights together on Youtube. I always find them so interesting. My Grandma was born in 1914 and was absolutely enchanted when I showed her ballet or opera on my ipad. She couldn't believe the picture quality in "such a tiny television". :)

• Like 6