The Royal Ballet: Wayne McGregor triple bill, November 2016

And did anyone else find that the dreadful set in Multiverse reminded them of a nineteenth century public urinal? More specifically, it looked as though it had been filched from the similarly urinal-like set used by the ROH in its last Wozzeck showing.

When the curtain went up on Multiverse, to me the set was three dimensional graph, the x and y horizontal axis and the z vertical, then we got time moving within it, total of the basic 4 dimensions, giving the mathematical/scientific reference to multiple universes.

• Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Multiverse seems to be more powerful than perhaps intended.

"It's gonna rain" said that voice. - And did it rain!!! As soon as the performances had finished, an excess of rain causing flooding in the south west of the UK and points north.

Yes, and today I've been running around my garden looking stressed and trying to clear up the mess before the next downpour!

Thank you MargaretN7 for a really informative explanation of the set for Multiverse. I feel comments such as this are really helpful for my understanding of this challenging piece, and I hadn't seen the internal logic behind the design. So wish I could have seen the bill a second time.

Edited by Vanartus

When the curtain went up on Multiverse, to me the set was three dimensional graph, the x and y horizontal axis and the z vertical, then we got time moving within it, total of the basic 4 dimensions, giving the mathematical/scientific reference to multiple universes.

I bow to your far superior knowledge, Margaret. Mine was an instant and purely visual impression.

Hmmm there are some mathematicians/scientists who say Time is an illusion!! It certainly feels like that sometimes.

It may already be common knowledge but I discovered yesterday that Ed Watson must be injured.

This is because I was in Bloch buying some tights and when I turned round to go he was standing behind me ....then about 20 mins later ( after a fruitless search for the City Lit which has moved .....and probably for years it seems....) I was standing waiting for a 19 or 38 bus and he was behind me again!! Only this time I noticed one of those boot things on one of his legs....the left one I think so obviously not dancing at the mo. He went for the 38 whilst I went for the 19 .....so not on the same bus in the end.

And did anyone else find that the dreadful set in Multiverse reminded them of a nineteenth century public urinal? 

Yes....even 20th century.  On the first night that I went, I said to my friend that the set reminded me of the public toilets that were underneath the boardwalks at Rockaway Beach, and the ones in the NYC subway system, when I was a child .  The walls were exactly like the set.  

As someone who has never passed a math exam in my whole life, the graph allusion was totally lost on me, so thank you Margaret for enlightening me!  It still hasn't enhanced my liking for the piece though, I'm afraid!!  :) 

Well I was so surprised to see him again at the bus stop that I nearly plucked up courage to ask him about his leg but thought better of it because although I knew who he was he might not have realised I was a ballet fan ( unless he remembered me being in Bloch....hardly likely) and might have thought okay nosy grandma what's it to you?

• Like 1

Lin, I probably wouldn't have even noticed him, I'm useless at recognizing people out of context, but I've spoken to him a couple of times when I've been with a friend who knows him.  He really is extremely nice and unless his bus came along I think he would have happily chatted to you.

• Like 2

Hoping it's not too serious, otherwise it'll really mess up Les Enfants Terribles :(

Just had a look at his Twitter account and he hasn't even mentioned it, although I did spot this:

"Sarah Kirkup @SarahBurges37 Nov 23

Excited to see the brilliant @_edwatson of @TheRoyalBallet is on #PrivatePassions on @BBCRadio3 on Sunday 18 Dec at midday"

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2016 at 11:18, Sim said:

I would much rather watch a stripper 'bump it with a trumpet' than have to sit through Multiverse again. 

I know this comment is a year late but I just wanted to say that's the funniest comment ever, and i agree 100%, and I only watched the insight. I'm a huge McRae fan but I wouldn't even suffer through that noise for him.

• Like 2