Have we had an alien invasion when I wasn't looking?

r3dh3d

The sort where little men from outer space come and steal all the hair pins out of the shops, for some sinister alien purpose?

I waltzed into Boots, confident of buying a pack of hair pins to replace the ones I have just thrown out because they are too feeble to hold DD's hair.  

Nowt.  Nicht.  Nada.  Not a single hair pin in the place.  Literally 20+ different types of bobby pin, but no hair pins for buns.  So I went to Superdrug.  Same thing.  A stupid variety of bobby pins - thick ones, thin ones, wavy ones, matt ones, glittery ones, technicolour ones, you name it.  No hair pins.  Found a hairdresser's supplies shop.  They had one sad packet of black hairpins (black is no use to us) languishing in a dark corner, and no plans to buy more.

What the very chuff is going on?  Has there been some sort of announcement rendering hairpins illegal, and I missed it?  

• Like 9

Yes, that reminds me, I was backstage parent-helping with hair for one of dd's dance shows once and we ran out of hairpins for headdresses (despite asking everyone to send their kids with hair stuff) and I did an emergency run to Tescos - cleared them out of hairpins that day!

I bought every packet they had :D  Needless to say, they had all disappeared into thin air by the end of the last performance...

Edited by taxi4ballet

Lovely bun head pins and bun nets are usually available (mail order too) from Becky at Stardust. Unless those aliens have got there as well....? I concur that somehow the shortage has something to do with the forthcoming election!

Lovely bun head pins and bun nets are usually available (mail order too) from Becky at Stardust. Unless those aliens have got there as well....? I concur that somehow the shortage has something to do with the forthcoming election!

Do bunheads do a small bun net aswell? The ones I go were a full hair net which is fine if you've got a great big bun but not so useful for daughters shoulder length hair! Also has anyone found any that don't snag immediately? We usually end up with a circle of net with a bun poking through the middle!

Maybe a certain USA presidential election candidate has bought up the world supply to keep his hair on....

Still seem to be pins available in our local Boots - but no brown hair nets to be had for love nor money. (Who buys them besides dancers?!)

I love a Balletco conspiracy theory.

Trump is to blame for sudden dearth of hairpins - can you imagine on Tuesday..electrified by triumph he executes celebratory twirl and sends that bastard of a wig scything through crowd???

Take the pins Trump, take all the pins you want..

• Like 9

Trump is to blame for sudden dearth of hairpins - can you imagine on Tuesday..electrified by triumph he executes celebratory twirl and sends that bastard of a wig scything through crowd???

????????????????

I am in a public place ????????????????

I shouldn't read certain threads ... ????????????????????

While I'm surrounded by people who've never heard about Petalviolet... ????

I now just can't stop imagining it !!!

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 6

I know where I'd like him to stick them... ;)

• Like 4

I was searching for hairpins before DD's exam, Boots didn't have any and Primark only had light brown ones. I managed to get some black hairpins from a Black Hair and beauty supply store but they were the long ones.

I thought we were meant to blame everything on Jeremy Corbyn, maybe he uses hairpins on his allotment.

i agree about the Lion brand ones....really old fashioned looking packaging (yes - I remember them from my youth :) ) They are 'tighter' so good for the

folically challenged (oh God....please do not let a certain Presidential candidate go for a 'footballer' bun look ever or he'll commandeer these vital supplies too!!!.....oh, I now have made myself ill at the picture that has conjured up in my head first thing on a Sunday morning.....yuck, yuck, aghhHHHH!!! :huh: )

• Like 4

What the very chuff is going on?  

had meant to say before how that phrase made me smile as it took me way back to schooldays - not heard it in ages!......am wondering if we come from same neck of the wood Originally?? I love the posts that make me smile & laugh out loud :D 

Maybe a certain USA presidential election candidate has bought up the world supply to keep his hair on....

Still seem to be pins available in our local Boots - but no brown hair nets to be had for love nor money. (Who buys them besides dancers?!)

Messy buns are now very fashionable and therefore I can understand the run on hair pins, but bun nets???  Only dancers and old ladies would but them I would think!!

Definitely an alien invasion in my opinion