Auditions this year?

dramascientist

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should've bought shares in Premier Inn!! Actually it's not too late...

You can apply for a membership card to that chain of hotels as well as Holiday Express. Making a saving after ...... nights booked, upgrades etc. I can't remember the full details. Just ask at reception, next time ;)  

Accor have a club card where you get a 5% discount per stay (think it increases after a certain number of stays) plus you earn points which can eventually be redeemed. They also have brilliant sales I've booked a night on Edinburgh Royal Mile the Wednesday before Christmas for £44 inc breakfast.

The Accor group includes Ibis, Mercure, Novotel

Oh flora I totally sympathise. I'm just the teacher and I'm on pins, "what if it's just me that sees the potential", "what if after 10years of training it's just not enough". My brains in overdrive, these poor little dancers they all want it so badly and they have the pressure they put on themselves plus added pressure from their school teachers to get the highest grades in the GCSEs and mocks.

Time for the Pom poms!

• Like 2

We have Yr 8 auditions in Jan for Elmhurst and RBS. As much as DD wants voc school, she is settled and doing well at local school and I do wonder about the academic side of voc schools for the gifted and talented academic child - any comments appreciated. However, realistically there are very few places for yr8/9 but the audition experience is invaluable ( DD made it to finals last year but had flu). DD has been working really hard this year from the feedback comments. SO as much as you try to take the pressure off .. the whole process just invokes the stress.

We have Elmhurst US next week and the rest in the New Year. DD will be gutted if she gets nothing and has to give up and go to Sixth Form.

You don't have to give up after your first attempt. We know several girls who didn't get a place first time round but did on their second or even third. An extra year of increasing strength, flexibility, technique or whatever might be all you need. Don't forget there are so few places for the number of dancers auditioning and you will have 16 year olds auditioning against 17, 18 or 19 year olds. Some dancers at auditions will already be in a vocational Upper School, but they are trying again to get into a different school.

Age doesn't seem to matter. The schools just look at the dancer on the day. Good luck!!

• Like 5

Ah, auditions!!!

After 2 very scary and emotional  years with DD1 and DD2 auditioning for dance schools and both getting into LSC a year apart, I thought I'd have a break until DD3 decided she wanted to try for the 6th form Drama Course in Tring!!!!! So, here we go again... Tring audition in January...

I wanted to go for a 4th child after 3 children in 4 years, lucky my husband talked me out of the idea!!! ;-)

• Like 12

I wanted to go for a 4th child after 3 children in 4 years, lucky my husband talked me out of the idea!!! ;-)

Was that via a Vocectomy rather than a Vasectomy......????!!! Apologies for the sick pun - couldn't resist! Good luck with your talented (& expensive...) brood!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 1

Hi Happymum

My DS also has auditions at Elmhurst on Tuesday and Tring in 3 weeks ish. its a very daunting process. we are very new to it all. hope all gos well.

regards

Hi, Would love to hear your views and comments regarding Elmhurst. From the school and the audition process. It is one of the schools under consideration and research for my DD at A level entry in Sept 2018. So auditions would be this time next year. 

Thank you  :rolleyes:

PS Good Luck to you and your DS. 

Edited by balletbean

Hi Balletbean,

Thanks.

What can I say we all loved the day. The tour and opening talk from principal was very informative. Really like the look of the school and boarding facilities. DS really enjoyed the Ballet Class (it helped that the dance teacher is also his junior associate teacher) That said the teacher and panal taking the class were very nice and relaxed, really made the DC feel comfortable. We got to see the last 10mins and all looked very tired but happy. On first impressions of the whole school I would definitely recommend.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards

• Like 2

Hi DP321 .... my DS who is a present yr7 said some DC were asked to sing "Happy Birthday" if they were too nervous to perform their prepared pieces , or if they hadn't prepared anything at all . My DS performed a musical theatre piece & said the people he auditioned for were really nice & tried very hard to help him relax !! Good luck to your DS - it's a lovely school with fabulous teachers :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to the forum but have been reading over the past few weeks. My daughter is ten years old and will be auditioning in January. 10th Elmhurst (she's already part of the JA) 16th Hammond, 19th 20th Tring. She is looking forward to all of them but has anyone any advice on where to look for a drama piece suitable for her audition at Tring?

My dd used to do drama competitions and had a lot of success with a piece from The Borrowers.  It was Arriety's speech to her parents about her desire to leave home and move into the big wide world.   Very suitable for a 10 year old and not too hard to learn.  I'm sure you could get it from the internet or any drama bookstore.

• Like 1

It can be found in the Jean Marlow Audition Speeches 6-16 book.  Its often used for lower grade LAMDA exams for younger children. My daughter used the Lucy from Lion Witch & the Wardrobe speech for her Entry Level LAMDA exam from the same book.

A great comedy piece for a young comic actress is The Tap Dancer by Heather Stephens from 'Cabbage & Other Scenes'  Its a bit longer than the other monologues so may need to be cut down a bit.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight