Auditions this year?

dramascientist

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have submitted dd's applications, but am thinking about cancelling. Dd has tried every year, had the occasional final, but that's all. So I suppose she must already be disadvantaged in the realm of dance. She's very settled and focused at school locally. Having now invested so much here, she's thinking it might be better to wait and try at 16 so she can keep hold of plan B. I could do with a break from auditions to be honest and I won't have to worry about her financially if she ends up with plan B as a career. Great to be comfortable financially, but not so great if dancing is what would make her happy. We shall have to see re auditions this year. I'm not a lover of rollercoasters... not unless it involves a premiere inn hotel & breakfast at some point anyway!

• Like 4

It is very quiet, is no one auditioning this year? I keep logging in to get my daily fix of excitement and noone's talking. Have they started yet? Surely someone must be auditioning for something soon?

DRSC

That's what I was thinking exactly!

My DS is going to audition to Elmhurst and Tring, starting in 3 weeks and 5 days.

I'm terrified that there are no other DC on the forum trying for Y7. (Well I'm sure there are, but reading rather then joining at the moment). I can't do it on my own, I need support, I need others to wait for the letters/emails with me!

• Like 4

Happymum - although we're suddenly out of the auditions this year (thankfully!!) I will be happy to give you as much support for your lovely DS (and you) as I can.  I am sure he will do well but it is a horribly stressful time regardless.  But am sure there must be others out there on this forum...?!

• Like 1

It's hard to keep on auditioning year after year Piccolo. My dd auditioned for Y7 and 8 with no funded offers. I insisted on a year off for my sanity which gave time to reconsider all options. If your dd is settled locally a year off may be a good option. What year is she?

Sarahw, she is in year 9 at the moment. In some ways I think the audition experience would be an advantage, but if in the unlikely event of a 'yes', I'd have reservations over uprooting her when she is flourishing, albeit in another realm. She likes the academics and wants to do triple science so that plan B is still possible. At the moment she doesn't want to give up on either option but at 16 she feels she will be more sure of what she wants.

• Like 1

There's a lovely biography just posted on a FB page today. Which surprisingly when reading the article the lady in question, attended not only my DD academic school but also the same ballet studio taught by the same teachers as my DD. Albeit a few years back.

The lady started ballet at 14, applied to RBS at 16. Was accepted. Graduated from the RBS, employed continuously with different Ballet Companies around the world for 8 years.

Whilst in the USA performing, she started doing research about attending Medical School (her second passion whilst at school) and to retire from ballet. Sure enough she completed some further academic exams (USA equiv to A levels) was accepted at Medical School and has started training to be a Doctor. Actually taking her entrance exams sandwiched between two performances of Swan Lake!

Fantastic story to all budding Ballerinas but who may be bouncing between 2 possible career choices. You can have it all.  :wub:

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 11

We have reached the scary realms of company auditions. Although at Vagaova it seems that directors approach students after attending performances/exams - in the last graduating year of boys I believe almost all all got company contracts at one of the big Russia companies (mariinsky/bolshoi/mikhailovsky) without any kind of formal audition... Still pretty nerve wracking- it just lasts all through the whole year!!!!

• Like 8

Hearing about the DC who get there via a different route is heartening.  My DD auditioned  the last two years for Y7 & Y8 - got to finals and no further.  She did summer school at her preferred school the last two summers and started vocational school just a few days ago, partly as a result of the fire and determination she showed throughout SS (plus a place being available).  Still early days but she is loving it and we're still pinching ourselves as hadn't expected something like this could happen to her.  So she's now in Y8 at her preferred school and now the hard work begins for her.  Having resigned myself to doing the audition circuit again this year, I am pleased not to but also think I will miss the audition days themselves (but not the stressful waiting for results). 

So to all those taking the different route like my DD, believe in yourselves as fire and determination, as well as the talent all our DC have, are what will get them to where they are going.  And good luck to all auditioning this year.

• Like 8

sarahw and balletbean, you're very inspiring. I'll mention what you've said to dd. Plan b is not medical but I know it's a tough world for doctors and I honestly think a ballet background would be advantage... and how great to be able to have a sneaky chaine or pirouette down an empty hospital corridor on the night shift but more likely in ones dreams only!!

Good luck dancefanatic, I think we know you from associates. Really lovely to hear your dd's news. Never seen anyone so desperate to get there!

• Like 4

Piccolo - I don't think there are any right answers you just have to pick your way through the decisions as they arise and hope you've done the right thing.

I'm a Dr and it's a privileged job but the path there is very hard - it has to be your vocation. So while I don't really 'get' the dancing I do know how important it is to be doing something you want to do - whatever the downsides....

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 2

Dd is in Y7 full time training at YDA (and loving it) but is auditioning for MAs. At YDA they are happy for them to do this. So just the one audition for her this year, which as far as I am concerned is more than  enough, couldn't bear the idea of going through last year again. She only ever got SWL for JAs so think highly unlikely anything will come of this, but will be good to keep her hand in audition-wise.

• Like 5

NO auditions for us this year, 1st year of A levels, but we will be next year as DD auditions for contemporary schools for entry at 18.  Her plan B is to become a barrister, though I don't think the court would be happy with a grand jete in the middle of proceedings  :D.  

Good luck to all those who are auditioning though, and my thoughts will be with you all through that stressful waiting period.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for sharing your news, I was getting worried it had all become too much for everybody! DD also in her last year and looking scarily at the future and what it might hold. Like she said in her last email it's like the dream is within her grasp so it's exciting but terrifying too. After a tough time this time last year I am just glad she is once more healthy and has her eyes firmly on her future. Best of luck for those just starting the journey we balletcoers are with you every step and pirouette of the way!

DRSC

• Like 2

We are auditioning for white lodge and MAs on 25th Jan (because it's the same audition), and still can't decide whether to put applications in to elmhurst and Hammond. It's a tough one, my dd really loves to dance and after WLSS in July she was desperate to audition but DH really doesn't want her to as he can't see a reason for her to move away at such a young age, nor does he want to fund it as he is very aware that jobs afterwards are very scarce etc, so it's a very expensive education! Not to say she'd stand a chance of getting a place but I feel I should at least give her the chance to try, especially as I got a vocational place as a child but couldn't go due to my parents finances at the time.

It's incredibly hard to make decisions for your children when they're so young and entirely dependant on you to make the right choices!! xxxx good luck to everyone starting or considering the audition process, I'll either be joining in or cheering on from the sidelines! xxxx

Edited by Balletmummy55
  • Like 3

Balletmummy55 some very hard decisions have to be made. My DS is our middle child of 5 and really wants to go to vocational school. I believe if it is what they want then they have to be aloud to try. It's all very complicated our DS has only been doing it for 1 year and 1 month

• Like 1

We have reached the scary realms of company auditions. Although at Vagaova it seems that directors approach students after attending performances/exams - in the last graduating year of boys I believe almost all all got company contracts at one of the big Russia companies (mariinsky/bolshoi/mikhailovsky) without any kind of formal audition... Still pretty nerve wracking- it just lasts all through the whole year!!!!

I was wondering how your son was getting on, CeliB. Can't believe how quickly the time has passed. When does he actually graduate?

I was wondering how your son was getting on, CeliB. Can't believe how quickly the time has passed. When does he actually graduate?

June 2017, as he elected to stay the extra year (akin to a third 6th form year I guess). But last year the graduate class mostly got offers from exam time (Easter ish) as all the top directors (well Russian anyway) come and watch the exam classes...

Also the director apparently speaks to all of the students to ask where their preferred company is and then starts the dialogue with those company directors- it does seem like the students are given every possible assistance to get a contract. Of course they are primarily linked with Russian companies but they do also have good contacts in Germany. Anyway DS would consider it the greatest moment of his life if he got offered a contract with a Russian company. He looks pretty much set to stay there...

• Like 3