About the Royal Ballet School

BalletStars

I'm not sure if this is classed as doing dance, but it is certainly about dance. 

At the moment my dd (who's in year six) is trying to write a story about the Royal Ballet School. Basically the general plot is:

The main character (Suki) auditions and gets into the Royal Ballet School and attends for two years until she is assessed out at the end of year eight because she had grown into the "Wrong Figure". Then she finds out about a new school (made up) that feeds into a company where they don't care too much about your body shape, just your technical ability and performance quality. When suki auditions for this school she gets in and loves it.

So basically my daughter has asked me to help her find out about what happens at the Royal Ballet School (e.g. daily routine, meals, etc...)

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is classed as doing dance, but it is certainly about dance. 

At the moment my dd (who's in year six) is trying to write a story about the Royal Ballet School. Basically the general plot is:

The main character (Suki) auditions and gets into the Royal Ballet School and attends for two years until she is assessed out at the end of year eight because she had grown into the "Wrong Figure". Then she finds out about a new school (made up) that feeds into a company where they don't care too much about your body shape, just your technical ability and performance quality. When suki auditions for this school she gets in and loves it.

So basically my daughter has asked me to help her find out about what happens at the Royal Ballet School (e.g. daily routine, meals, etc...)

Thanks in advance

Wow! A year 6 who researches her plot (using an assistant)! Sounds like a fabulous storyline too  :)

Thanks in advance

Have you tried YouTube?. I know there was a BBC series on life at Elmhurst. Maybe of some use or search long enough there could be something on WL. :)

Sounds like a lovely story, good luck to your DD on her project. 

There *was* a programme about White Lodge/RB, can't remember the name off-hand, must be best part of 10 years ago because I remember Steven McRae saying that if he didn't get made principal quickly he wasn't going to be staying around, or words to that effect.  There was also some local London programme on WL and Richmond Park, which I don't think I saw.

Hi my daughter is at WL in year 7. They have very busy days with very little free time.she has a two hour classical ballet class at 8.30 followed by 4 hours of academics. There is a break in between to get changed and an hour for lunch.After academics she has more ballet classes ( pointe / character ) or rehearsals until tea at 6.30pm. Finally prep from 7.15-8.15 then quick phone call home and lights outta 8.45pm! Needless to say she totally loves it and the house staff are very kind( currently enjoying a Halloween party as I write!)...

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Lisa - don't forget that they're on the premises, so 8.30 is not the same as it would be for someone who has to travel to class.  I remember one winter term at RBS Upper School when I had a 9 o'clock class every morning and I had to take a regular train and a tube to get there.  There was a lot of snow that year, which delayed trains and I would arrive totally frozen.  The studios were unheated and it took me almost the whole class to warm up! 

Love the story for the book, by the way!

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1