Royal Ballet 2017 Spring Casting

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some exciting surprises in the Mayerling casting. Didn't see McRae coming as Rudolf, especially with Lamb as Vetsera, but Morera as Vetsera is less unexpected as she was dancing the final pas de deux with Acosta at the RAH. Delighted that Cowley will get Larisch (she's a really luscious dancer) although a little surprised that neither Morera nor Nunez now cast. Hurrah for Yanowsky and Campbell. Very pleased that one of my artists will be singing Katharina Schratt ????

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 1

No Yuhui in Rubies - didn't she do that last time around or was it the time before?

Sadly no Osipova with McRae in Rubies either in a combination that assuredly dazzled last time round.  Perhaps that too must now be left to dwell in one's memory bank of favourites - at least for those lucky enough to have witnessed it.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

Good features: opportunities for younger dancers (Jewels); Morera getting Mary Vetsera; the Watson/Yanowsky axis in Mayerling

Disappointments: Muntagirov and Nunez not cast for Rudolf and Mary; some less than starry casting across the piece in Jewels

Relief: that Polunin (for all his reputed excellence in the role) has not deprived the home team of being cast as Rudolf

Disbelief at one or two aspects of the Mayerling casting

Uncertainty as to whether or not the range of talent in the RB (at Principal as well as other levels)  is being exploited and developed via this casting

In my dreams, I would cast Mayerling as follows:

Rudolf: Muntagirov

Mary Vetsera: Nunez

Marie Larische: Cowley

Empress: Yanowsky

Stephanie: Hayward

Mitzi Caspar: Stix-Brunell

Bratfisch: Campbell

[Princess Louise (not listed) Naghdi]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

Yuhui is doing Emeralds by the looks so she will be lovely in that I am sure.  Salenko/McRae for Diamonds is one I would like to see.  I think the Jewels casting is fine.  Mayerling looks good but they never out the best cast on a matinee do they:-( ie Waston/Osipova/Yanowsky.  I'd love to see that one or McRae as well.  I just hope the prices are not as exorbitant as for SB.

• Like 4

I must admit I'm disappointed by the Rudolf casting. I had assumed that Muntagirov would do it, though admittedly it's quite difficult to imagine his sunny personality in such a role. And I had hoped that one of the new male principals would do it, though I suppose that would be a big ask. It makes me realise that the RB has quite a few male principals who although obviously extremely capable simply don't excite me. Watson/Osipova does though! And I'm delighted that Yanowsky has been cast (though not as Rudolf, I hasten to add).

P.S. Now there's a thought. If Glenda Jackson can do King Lear... :)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 5

I must admit I'm disappointed by the Rudolf casting. I had assumed that Muntagirov would do it, though admittedly it's quite difficult to imagine his sunny personality in such a role. 

Those of us who were lucky enough to see Muntagirov dance Conrad in Le Corsaire in Vienna this week had further confirmation of his emotional range. And partnering six different ballerinas in Mayerling would be a breeze for him. An opportunity missed for the RB to stretch and develop this amazing dancer who, incidentally, seems to be spending more and more time taking up opportunities abroad - and no wonder if he isn't being challenged here.

• Like 5

To be fair to the RB, capybara, Muntagirov has been cast in many, many roles in the core rep since he joined the RB. Where he has lost out, I think, is not being cast prominently in new works by the associate choreographers (who all have their favourites). There are only so many roles to be divided between the principals and up-and-coming dancers and some of them have a rather restricted repertoire anyway and will, naturally, be first to be cast in the roles which they dance well. You mention Muntagirov dancing abroad so much. Osipova and, to a lesser extent, McRae do as well but some principals seem to guest very infrequently, perhaps confining their guest appearances to galas over the summer break. Of course, these things are negotiated and agreed between the individual dancer and the company but frequent absences do present challenges in terms of scheduling rehearsals and covering other company members who are ill or injured.

• Like 1

I don't accept that I am being unfair to the RB, aileen.

Muntagirov is clearly in great demand throughout the world and, judging by what is being posted about him on social media, is being feted by many other Directors.That speaks volumes. At the RB in the 2016/17, he is cast so far for 4 Filles; 3 Nutcrackers, 3 Sleeping Beauties, 3 Human Seasons and 4 Jewels (Diamonds). All the full length ballets are recent repeats. Where's the challenge there? Where's the opportunity to further develop as an artiste?

Of course, fingers crossed for the Ashton Triple in the summer but he can't dance all three ballets (The Dream, Symphonic and M & A) however much one might wish he would.

It used to be the case that most Principals would dance around 25 shows in a given year but that was, admittedly, before McGregor featured so prominently on the calendar.

• Like 1

Sadly no Osipova with McRae in Rubies either in a combination that assuredly dazzled last time round.  Perhaps that too must now be left to dwell in one's memory bank of favourites - at least for those lucky enough to have witnessed it.  

Yes, that is sad.  They are equally dazzling in Woolf Works, though.

• Like 1

Amazed that:

McRae is doing Rudolf.  I just don't see it

Also amazed that Muntagirov is not cast.  Why on earth not?

Three Watsons so that's me booking for all three perfomances, this is his role.  I never thought anyone could match Kobborg but he does  Osipova should be interesting.  

• Like 8

Well, personally I'm gutted that Benn Gartside isn't getting another go at Rudolf: surely he was good enough, from what I heard?

As for Muntagirov, with respect, capybara, I think there's a big difference between Conrad and Crown Prince Rudolf.  I can't think of any new arrival to the company who's been allowed to take on that role without any prior experience of being in the ballet, usually as one of the Hungarian Officers or something, first.  It's not just a question of ability to dance the role, I think it's familiarity with the whole thing - and I don't think Vadim was in the company last time it was danced, or if he was, he'd literally only just have joined.  I mean, look how long Bonelli has waited to get a chance at the role.  I might have considered Campbell for this one this time around, given his prior experience and his dramatic abilities.  I had thought they wouldn't cast McRae because of the difficulty of coming up with enough ballerinas of appropriate stature, but I guess we shall see what we shall see.

• Like 13

I thought Muntagirov might be too young - I think some level of maturity helps? I'm still surprised when a dancer I consider to be boyish like Bonelli, Pennefather, McRae is cast as Rudolf. I guess Pennefather was a bit younger but he was with the company for multiple revivals. I think most of the Rudolfs I've seen in the last 15 years or so (Kobborg, Cope, Acosta, Mukhamedov, Watson, and I guess Harvey, Gartside and Soares) were in their 30s and 40s. As hard a role as it is, it's one that the guys can keep dancing late in their careers and it's certainly a role worth waiting for.

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 7

I think Watson/Osipova could really work well. I will be skipping the McRae cast. On the positive side, I am keeping everything crossed that this will be third time lucky for Cuthbertson and she can finally do this role in which I am sure she will be excellent. Soares was a fantastic Rudolf (much to my surprise at the time - I have seen many Rudolfs and he is the only one ever to have made me cry) and he and Lauren will I am sure present a very emotional Mayerling. Great also that Bonelli and Morera are at long last being given their chance. I think that could be a very dramatic interpretation!

• Like 9

As for Muntagirov, with respect, capybara, I think there's a big difference between Conrad and Crown Prince Rudolf.  

Of course, Alison. However, it was the way that Muntagirov filled the theatre and his presence on stage which were so impressive - not just to me but according to various bloggers/critics as well. He has very many more layers than he can show as the habitual 'prince'.

BTW, Sergei Polunin danced Rudolf in 2003 in Moscow at the age of 23/24. Yes, I know everyone will say that that's a different matter and he had danced Hungarian Officer......!!!!!

Yuhui is doing Emeralds by the looks so she will be lovely in that I am sure.  Salenko/McRae for Diamonds is one I would like to see.  I think the Jewels casting is fine.  Mayerling looks good but they never out the best cast on a matinee do they:-( ie Waston/Osipova/Yanowsky.  I'd love to see that one or McRae as well.  I just hope the prices are not as exorbitant as for SB.

The prices are the same as the prices for La Fille Mal Gardée (i.e. lower than the prices for Beauty)

Edited by Bluebird

Of course, Alison. However, it was the way that Muntagirov filled the theatre and his presence on stage which were so impressive - not just to me but according to various bloggers/critics as well. He has very many more layers than he can show as the habitual 'prince'.

And let's not forget that he has already shown that he can play the more dramatic roles very well; e.g. Des Grieux, Lensky.

• Like 3

Good features: opportunities for younger dancers (Jewels); Morera getting Mary Vetsera; the Watson/Yanowsky axis in Mayerling

Disappointments: Muntagirov and Nunez not cast for Rudolf and Mary; some less than starry casting across the piece in Jewels

Relief: that Polunin (for all his reputed excellence in the role) has not deprived the home team of being cast as Rudolf

Disbelief at one or two aspects of the Mayerling casting

Uncertainty as to whether or not the range of talent in the RB (at Principal as well as other levels)  is being exploited and developed via this casting

Really liked this post, terse and to the point, share your "Relief", but I'm intrigued - could you expand on "Disbelief" and "Uncertainty" please?

At the risk of getting scythed down (again  :unsure: !!), I have already talked about Muntagirov in this context. However, and given that Hirano, Ball, Clarke etc are likely to be Hungarian Officers, I do feel that opportunities have been missed to cast (and thus stretch) other dancers. Maybe there should have been more performances but, in places, there has been a tendency to go for people who have essayed the roles before.  In addition to Muntagirov as Rudolf and Nunez as Mary, i would have wanted to cast (for example) Calvert as Larisch; O'Sullivan as Stephanie; and Acri, Sambe and Yudes as Bratfisch.

I am not brave enough or foolish enough to share my disbelief fully. Suffice it to say that I find it puzzling that Lamb has both of the main female roles, astonishing that Nunez has gone back to dancing Mitzi Caspar and disappointing that Campbell, now a Principal, remains as Bratfisch. Some of that may have something to do with filming, of course.

[Edited to add that this is in response to David's question (immediately above but now on the previous page) which I omitted to quote.]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 4

Immensely sad that Bennet Gartside has not been cast. He brings exceptional dramatic range and insight to every role, and gave a devastating, revelatory interpretation of Prince Rudolf in 2013. A performance I dearly wish MacMillan could have seen.

• Like 11