Bolshoi cinema broadcast feedback thread 2016-17

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slight OT but I loved seeing Olga Smirnova and Semyun Chudin with HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - the Bolshoi are in Bahrain and the Duchess was able to watch their rehearsal of Diamonds. This photo was on Twitter and is by Chris Jackson/Getty Images and was tweeted by him.  There is a little video tweeted by Clarence House as well here https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw-sLf-XgAEmWVR.jpg the ballet is half way through.

Cw-sLf-XgAEmWVR.jpg

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Tonight is the Cinema Relay of Sleeping Beauty for Bolshoi. It is also available to watch for free on their website if you are in Russia...

I've registered with the Bolshoi Official Video Channel (free, accessed through www.bolshoi.ru) and I'm just about to watch the cinema relay now in the UK on my desktop.

• Like 3

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS AMELIA.

I regretted missing this this afternoon as I went to the second Corrales/Badenes ENB/Skeaping Giselle.  (That said I am really glad that I did.  It was as if their first performance had been a dress rehearsal for this one.  Everything was SO clear ... and the second act ... THE SECOND ACT was entirely ravishing ... I will try to drop a note in the appropriate spot ... but with that ... AND THIS ... there is just so much to look forward to.)

Bless you for ALL.  

• Like 1

I think you will find it worthwhile to see Semyon Chudin on top form! For me , with his blend of noble poise, strength, fantastic jump, beautiful lines and flowing musicality he encapsulated the perfect Prince Desire-oh and not to mention of course Smirnova- and an all round ravishing spectacle-must get to work though!

• Like 2

What a lovely photo, only just seen it,  lucky Camilla!

Semyon Chudin was superb yesterday, I think Olga Smirnova is always at her best dancing with him, although not crazy about the production it was a joyous performance, liked the Blue Birds, was the Canary (girl in yellow) variation in the first act Margarita Shrainer? she was very good. 

• Like 3

According to the cast list published on the Bolshoi website, Margarita Shrainer was indeed "Twittering Canary" (as they have translated it). Miss Shrainer also danced the Diamond Fairy in the last Act. We were very impressed with Yulia Stepanova as the Lilac Fairy.

• Like 3

Beautiful performances, sumptuous production, really liked the sets, and they did mist in abundance! A few things I was less keen on- panto -style Carabosse reduced the fear factor rather too much- maybe made worse by being filmed with the close-ups- looking forward to comparing RB screening - and her defeat seemed a bit inconsequential- but a lovely Sunday afternoon- Act 1 fairies so perfect it left tears in the eyes.

• Like 1

According to the cast list published on the Bolshoi website, Margarita Shrainer was indeed "Twittering Canary" (as they have translated it). Miss Shrainer also danced the Diamond Fairy in the last Act. We were very impressed with Yulia Stepanova as the Lilac Fairy.

There was, it seems, a last minute change not reflected on the Bolshoi site: to my eye the Gold Fairy was danced by Elvina Ibraimova, not by Victoria Yakusheva.

Managed to get to the broadcast and was very impressed. Smirnova is so elegant and stylish, has a certain panache about her that makes her irresistible. Chudin was dashing to match. Stepanova did not catch my eye, maybe i have seen too little of her to fully appreciate, but she looked a bit bored with this role. The rest of the cast were decent, but did not look like they were enjoying themselves. Only the Bluebird gentleman had that certain quality that stirs the senses.

• Like 3

We've only watched the first act, but I thought it was slightly bizarre. As you say ElenaF, a lot of the cast looked bored. To my eyes the production was a bit overwrought for a modern version - it's a 2011 production, correct? - and I couldn't help thinking that this was one designed to separate the tourists from their money.

It's a 2011 production, but the set itself seems to follow an older design that was made for the Paris Opera ballet under Noureyev, so it is relatively older. It's by the same artist Ezio Frigerio. And Noureyev liked it rich.

That's right. But it seems a lot brassier than the Paris version which does not have  the patterned floor either.

Managed to get to the broadcast and was very impressed. Smirnova is so elegant and stylish, has a certain panache about her that makes her irresistible. Chudin was dashing to match. Stepanova did not catch my eye, maybe i have seen too little of her to fully appreciate, but she looked a bit bored with this role. The rest of the cast were decent, but did not look like they were enjoying themselves. Only the Bluebird gentleman had that certain quality that stirs the senses.

I had a completely different impression when watching the broadcast. Maybe it was by contrast with Smirnova who seemed totally preoccupied with performing the steps the right way, while other dancers enjoyed themselves dancing. One has to take into account, of course, that filming and mixing the images from several cameras seriously impact the viewing experience.

I adore the Bolshoi's production decorations including the floor.

After posting above I recalled that the Frigerio designs for Sleeping Beauty for POB were commissioned as part of a redesign after Nureyev's departure. His original production had designs by Nicholas Georgiadis. I never saw them but some Parisian balletomanes still lament their demise and would prefer to have them back again.

After posting above I recalled that the Frigerio designs for Sleeping Beauty for POB were commissioned as part of a redesign after Nureyev's departure. His original production had designs by Nicholas Georgiadis. I never saw them but some Parisian balletomanes still lament their demise and would prefer to have them back again.

I believe the NBoC still has the Nureyev production with the Georgiadis designs - as it was originally done for them.  There is a dvd with Nureyev dancing with the wonderful Veronica Tennant and a delightful Karen Kain and Frank Agustyn in the BB PDD.  Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.   In fact you can see the latter in a poor clip (obviously translated from VHS) here:

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I've only had a chance to watch Olga Smirnova's dancing (not the entire work) from internet glimpses and I feel that she is absolutely lovely. I've found video clips of her and Svetlana Zakharova (about a year ago?) performing the same solo (variation). I think that they're both magnificent. For me, Svetlana Zakharova is so noteworthy for her fineness, refinement and clarity of motion. Olga Smirnova has a wonderfully flowing, looser quality and a very fine expressiveness, as seen, for instance, in her subtly contained yet emotionally powerful sense of motion.

Edited by Buddy

The screening I am at for Swan Lake (Phoenix, London) has sadly got no cast lists today. Can someone help with the information?

I believe this is a repeat, which was Svetlana Zhakarova(Odette) Denis Rodkin(Siegfried) and Igor Tvsirko(Evil Genius).

Thank you Beryl, yes indeed. Do you happen to have a link or suchlike for the full cast list?

I've got the Blu-Ray, actually Igor Tsvirko is the Jester, Artem Belyakov the Evil Genius, other casting is:

Pas de Trois     Rodkin, Kretova, Kruteleva

Hungarian         Karpova

Russian             Rebetskaya

Spanish             Tikhomirova

Neapolitan         Khoklova

Polish                 Semenyachenko

3 Swans             Karpova, Marchenkova, Turazashvili

4 Cygnets           Lunkina, Pavlova, Shrainier, Voronkova

Princess Mother    Ekaterina Barykina

Master of Ceremonies   Alexei Loparevich

Hope that helps for now.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having watched Russian Seasons, I have no idea what was going on with it: I know it's a famous ballet from a highly respected choreographer being danced by a top company, but I can't make head or tails of it. I know it's about twelve seasons/festivals, but that doesn't help.

I agree Colman- I did enjoy the whole programme, but The Cage I found just- not my scene I suppose; and Russian Seasons seemed to go on  a little too long, and like you I had insufficient context perhaps, but Etudes was just glorious!! The marvellous casting helped; someone recently was talking about the difference between so many excellent technicians and the 'real artists'..well, here we had a chance to see both in wonderful synchronicity.

• Like 2