Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy audition

tropicmama

I might have to break into the one of the bottles of wine in the cupboard  :lol:  Seriously, thank you so much for the comments, tips and feedback.  I'm glad to find out it is completely normal (and fine!) to feel this way.  I do think it is the feeling of being powerless, as it will be up to DD to do her best and there is nothing I can do.  I will have to remind her to smile, she can sometimes get quite intense-looking when dancing.  After Sunday, it will then be the wait for the results :o  I read somewhere in this forum that Group 1 is often the biggest group, I hope DD doesn't get overwhelmed and look all serious and frowny.  But I guess this is something she needs to get used to if this is the path she chooses to take.  How a 7 year old can love ballet this much, I don't know!  I never did dance when I was a child so she definitely didn't get it from me.  But it is lovely to see passion and commitment from someone so young - it spills over to how she approaches her academics and sport too!

I will have to make sure to pack her dance bag with her the night before so we don't forget anything (spare socks, water bottle, etc.).  She will only be wearing a simple leotard so I hope that is fine.  I know when DCs are older, they tend to wear nicer, more elaborate looking leotards.

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think a simple leotard is best for young children, tropicmama - more appropriate and less likely to give rise to fiddling out of nerves! We always treated auditions as a lovely day out, with the bonus of having a class with a new teacher in new surroundings. If the result is a 'yes' then that's an additional bonus!

DD can also become very serious-looking when concentrating. Remind your daughter that the panel want to choose children who love dancing, so she can best show them that she loves it by remembering to relax her face and show that she is enjoying the chance to dance with and for new people (sometimes a rictus grin is the result of trying to force a smile at all times ;))

I would also remind her that she may not know all of the steps she might be asked to perform, so she needs to try her best to follow and to do what she is asked to do but mustn't worry that not knowing steps will count against her - she will just be expected to try her hardest. And if asked she should explain that she hasn't done a step before but will give it a go!

Toi toi toi to your daughter! Wishing her a wonderful day x (and take spare socks/leotard if possible/shoes/sewing kit to ward off possible disasters!)

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 1

I had a lovely chat with my DD last night, who assured me, while beaming at me, that she will smile on the day and enjoy herself (she recently lost her upper two front teeth so looks quite comical when grinning) and she told me of course she would, as she loves dancing!

Great idea about the water bottle, hers seem to hold up ok but it would be typical if it leaked all over her stuff on the day.

I have my list ready of things to bring on the day - thank goodness for her big dance bag.  I really hope I won't have to resort to using the sewing kit for anything.  Sewing is one of my worst skills.  It takes me ages just to sew on ballet shoe straps, or elastic belts for that matter :huh:

How long before the results come out, if people don't mind me asking?  From audition day, that is.

• Like 1

Good Luck to your DD tropicmama and I hope she has a fantastic day and gets the result she wants.

If however that is not the case, please let her know that there are lots of dancers who got a no first time but were successful on further attempts.  Many of us have been in your shoes and got either a no or a yes but no funding, yet now have children on vocational programmes.  "No" on many occasions just means "just not yet".

• Like 1

One more, probably silly and immaterial question (but since I have found everyone here to be so lovely that no question is too silly :) ): DD's bag is all packed, mum has read numerous previous posts on CBA on this forum, and my questions is - for the audition, does DD's hair need to be in a classical bun?  DD has very wild curly hair and for classes, I often French-plait from the front, down the sides (to keep all the baby hair and wispy bits in place) and then secure all hair into a bun.  In a way, not a classical bun as such because I don't brush back/comb her hair from the forehead and sides into a ponytail as it is very difficult to get it neat with no lumps and wisps (even with a ton of product).  I know that ultimately, it will be down to her potential, ability and dancing but I didn't want a little thing like this to possibly count against her.  She might be the only one with a slightly different bun from all the super neat, pulled back buns other girls might be sporting.  It's funny how it's the little things we were discussing last night, on top of the "bun issue" DD and I were also talking about whether she will wear her full sole leather ballet shoes or split sole canvas.  She is in group 1 for the audition, is equally comfortably with either pair, but is very young at 7.  Would Tring prefer full sole leather?  I know full sole is preferred for the younger ones is most ballet schools.

Re hair - I've seen lots of different bun styles over the years - maybe go with whatever looks the neatest :)

Shoes - assuming that both pairs fit really well and show her feet off, then go with the cleanest! If you take both pairs with you, then you can wait until you see what other are wearing and then decide.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Hi Dancey, it went as well as it could have - in that my DD was not at all nervous.  We got there really early (about half an hour early) but there were already about 3 other children there doing some hard core stretching and exercises.  I thought it would faze my DD but she was just chatting happily away to me, laughing as usual.  I asked her if she fancied doing a bit of warm up too and she said "no, thank you" :unsure: She was in Group 1 and based on the other children, I am not sure how well she did.  The others seemed way more advanced if I were to base it on the little exercises and steps and stretches they were doing.  Whilst I am sure she is one of the youngest, there were a couple who looked tinier than her.  They covered the studio with a large sheet of canvas so parents can't see what's going on.  She came out of it literally skipping and smiling although the first thing she said to me was "Mummy!  I only messed up two bits!" :rolleyes:  No doubt she thoroughly enjoyed the experience -she was beaming throughout.  I have my doubts about how well she did, especially after seeing the other children's standard and intensity and seriousness.  What made me happy though is the fact that she said she loved it and that if she doesn't get in this time, she will "just try again and again and again"!  I think there were about 16-20 children in her group, with only 1-2 boys.

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry too much about the extreme stretching.

I'm no expert but dd looks at pictures etc of some of these little children stretching & points out how out of alignment most of them are. its much more important to excite a step correctly with only the amount of turnout you have strength to maintain or a lower but correctly placed arabesque for example & vocational schools/associate schemes are often picky about this.

• Like 4

They won't expect the same standard from a just turned 7 year old as an 8 or 9 year old though. I imagine the others were probably a year older, which is a big gap when you're that little! Heights vary so much at that age that it is very hard to tell age! They do some dance days at Tring which maybe she would enjoy if she liked the audition?

• Like 2

Oh I do hope she did enough, her and I both know it is very competitive but she would absolutely love the opportunity to do more ballet.  She does enjoy tap and modern too but as she always tells me, ballet is her love.

Moomin, she already excitedly showed me the leaflet for Tring's Christmas Junior day of dance.  I might sign her up for it.  She also just a week ago started TPA and is absolutely loving the fact that the studios have mirrors and proper barres! 

I noticed quite a few children in the waiting room during audition who were wearing hoodies of other dance schools and looked like they might possibly be associates already elsewhere.  I hadn't realised you can be an associate in more than one school.  Due to my daughter's age and our location, Tring is the best place for her which is completely fine with us as it does seem to be one of the best.  I cannot yet imagine, at her age, travelling to London every week for an hour or hour and a half of dance class (although this view might change when she turns 8 and remain as passionate about ballet as she is now).

• Like 2

Try not to think about the other children tropicmama.Those doing the extreme stretching are not necessarily the best dancers, and as Pictures has already said, being able to put your foot by your ear is no good if the technique is not right.

Ignore the competitive warm ups (and the competitive hoody wearing) and focus on the fact that your DD had a lovely time. If she doesn't get in this time there will be many more opportunities to come - but maybe she will. It's hard to know sometimes exactly what the panels are looking for, but remember it's largely potential and the joy of dance, not current attainment level,so not being able to do everything in the audition really doesn't matter.

• Like 3

You're completely right Pups_mum - I really musn't.  I think I was just in awe as my daughter goes to a small dance school and most of the children with her are just there as an after school club/weekend activity.  I've never seen such polished, seemingly skilled (to my unprofessional eye - I never did dance so not sure where my DD's love of dance comes from) group of children until yesterday.  I hope the panel was able to see her enthusiasm and commitment to dance.  It was funny actually, she referred to the members of the panel as "judges"!  The last two Saturdays, she has been staring in awe at the older children in the upper grades in the waiting area, and would excitedly point out to me every single one she saw in pointe shoes.

• Like 2

Oh I do hope she did enough, her and I both know it is very competitive but she would absolutely love the opportunity to do more ballet.  She does enjoy tap and modern too but as she always tells me, ballet is her love.

Moomin, she already excitedly showed me the leaflet for Tring's Christmas Junior day of dance.  I might sign her up for it.  She also just a week ago started TPA and is absolutely loving the fact that the studios have mirrors and proper barres! 

I noticed quite a few children in the waiting room during audition who were wearing hoodies of other dance schools and looked like they might possibly be associates already elsewhere.  I hadn't realised you can be an associate in more than one school.  Due to my daughter's age and our location, Tring is the best place for her which is completely fine with us as it does seem to be one of the best.  I cannot yet imagine, at her age, travelling to London every week for an hour or hour and a half of dance class (although this view might change when she turns 8 and remain as passionate about ballet as she is now).

I agree with pups_mum. There have been many discussions about "Competitive warming up" at auditions. Some students (and/or parents) seem to think that the more "extreme stretching" they do in the waiting area, the better. In actual fact all that should be done pre-class is a gentle warmup and then only when a student is old enough to do their own warmup - specific to *their* physique - and do it properly. In my humble opinion, splits etc. should NEVER be done before being fully warmed up. So if you see "oversplits" etc. at any other audition, or in the waiting room pre-TPA (and hopefully pre-CBA!) do try to ignore it.

Same with hoodie-wearing although this can happen for less competitive reasons. :) If a teacher is sending several students to audition, then she may well ask them to wear the school's hoodies. Or wearing one may make a student feel more confident. Tring CBA has its own hoodies and you'll also see these at auditions for other schools. So it's not something to worry about.

Students may be associates at several places but personally until they are older, I think one scheme is plenty. Attendance at several good schemes can be great for keeping quality training hours up if a teenage student is not at a full-time dance school, but while still in Primary school it's certainly not a necessity. Little ones need time for school, homework, friends and other hobbies too.

Wishing your little dancer huge luck. :)

• Like 4

Anna C, as we were walking out after DD's audition, we saw a mum (or teacher?) determinedly pushing a girl's leg straight up (not sure if there is a technical term for such a position - a bit like a split but whilst standing up) and it looked painful!  But perhaps it wasn't painful or awkward for the child, it just looked like it did to me.  It did look like there were a few girls from the same dance schools, as the parents all knew each other.

That's what I thought about multiple associate schemes for younger children - however do they find the time?  Also, there are only so many hours in the weekend and I'm assuming the schemes are not all located that close to each other.  Already my DD, although always hyper and seems to have unlimited supply of energy, has just enough time to fit in everything after school - homework for 30-45 minutes, musical instrument for about 20 minutes, reading, tennis, swimming.  I feel guilty as I know that because she loves all these activities, she must surely miss out on a lot of after school play dates but she often tells me she doesn't mind as she gets to have playdates on Saturday afternoons or Sundays.

• Like 1

I remember from last year (DD did not get in!) it was nearly the whole 2 week wait. If you got a brown envelope it was a No! & a white one was a yes!!! Don't despair if you don't get it.

It made me realise we needed to change ballet teacher & up DD lessons. She then got SWL for JA's. Got into YDA Associates & has really been enjoying that & we have just received a glowing report for DD. Currently just waiting to hear about LondonsChildren's Ballet Finals. My daughter is 9 older than yours. I am sure you will get in but it was the wake up call I needed than DD wanted to take this more seriously as she loves ballet so much. Truly believe if one door does not open for you then its not your door at this time.Disappointment & regection have truly driven my DD on & is now more motivated then ever. Looking back although sad at the time if she got into everything 'first time' I don't think she would realise how lucky she is or the commitment & motivated needed. Dancing seems full or highs & lows but when its your passion you just have to go with it. Think DD will maybe audition for Tring in 6 months time, think she wants to show that she has worked hard for 1 year to improve & can do it! (she probably still won't get in!!). We are so lucky there are just so many opportunities for them to give a go. But the waiting for results is the worst part.(For us more than them) Good Luck tropicmama & just remember she is still very little & great to have found something she loves

• Like 5

Thank you so much Flowerpot, that is very encouraging.  You are totally right - the waiting is more horrible for us parents I think, especially when our children are younger.  I get a little heart attack whenever I see the post inside our door when we get home in the evenings, since last Sunday (thankfully, just the usual junk mail, statements and bills :( )  I am torn between telling her if she doesn't get in, or just wait for her to forget about it.  She loved it that much, that she is bound to be upset initially if it's a no (I've got my pep talk ready, akin to the one I gave her prior to audition).  I am confident she will try and try, but I am of course dreading the immediate hurt and being upset should the decision go that way.  I am just waiting for the results, as if it's a no, I might try and ask if Tring is one of those schools that will perhaps let her take an additional ballet class (through TPA, where she's currently in Grade 1) for example, Grade 2 as well.  I know some schools allow this, for children to take the grade above their current one at the same time.  She really just wants more ballet time in her weekly schedule, and I don't think regular private lessons would be a financially viable option for us.

Dancer344, oh no, it might be tomorrow.  I do think they also had some TPA auditions last weekend so it might be a busy time for them.

I hope if you've had the news yet that it was good!! If not I wouldn't worry at all about any of the stretching when I auditioned I only just got my right splits and got it and none of the other children with their insane stretching seemed to have got in. Goodluck it is an amazing course with great training and I know of people who have called up after results and been given advice for auditioning again!!!

Thanks Anna C.  It's a strange feeling - on one hand I just want to know already so I can tell my daughter but on the other hand, I am sort of scared and dreading it!  I am actually emailing Nicola right now but, but for something else altogether.  My DD is thinking about attending the Christmas Junior Day of Dance and I was going to ask Nikki if there were still spaces.  Do you have any experience/feedback on their days of dance?  Are they quite fun?  My DD is quite young so her only worry is that she will be the only little one :D

• Like 1

My dd did several of Tring's Dance Days and holiday courses. On the residential ones, the vagaries of boarding in such an old building certainly played a part! One extraordinarily snowy weekend the heating in some of the bedrooms didn't work, but staff quickly installed storage heaters. Another year it had been peculiarly hot at what I think must have been an Easter course, and there were vast numbers of ladybirds at the windows! Needless to say the parents were the only slightly concerned people; the children thought it all great fun.

I should add that this was all quite a few years ago. I think dd was 7 when she did her first Dance Day at Tring and she absolutely loved every minute. I'm sure your little dancer will have a whale of a time. :)

• Like 2

Another year it had been peculiarly hot at what I think must have been an Easter course, and there were vast numbers of ladybirds at the windows! 

I remember that year, it was sweltering wasn't it?!

Just to add, my dd attended various short courses and dance days at Tring over the years and always had a great time :)

• Like 1