Tring Park Classical Ballet Academy audition

tropicmama

Complete newbie here and my apologies if this has been discussed before or if I am posting this on the wrong section but I would just be really grateful for some advice.  My daughter (just turned 7 last month) will be auditioning for Tring Park's CBA in November.  She has never auditioned for anything before and we know that the CBA is extremely selective so she has been duly prepped that it will be a challenge to get a spot.  She just loves ballet and although she's only currently in Grade 1, she is often told that she has a natural ability for it.  I understand from the letter that the audition will be like a class with flexibility test.  I was just after some tips on what to expect.  She was told to wear her usual ballet wear but I was wondering whether Tring Park would prefer socks or convertible tights?  Hair in a bun?  Leather, satin or canvas ballet shoes?  Full or split sole?  She will be in Group 1.  Thanks so much in advance for any guidance.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From their website

Students should wear classical ballet dance wear and we do prefer the younger female students to wear short socks and the older ones pink tights. Male applicants may wear shorts/ tights and a slim fitting T shirt or leotard. Clean ballet shoes for everyone. Experience is not essential as we look for potential for training.

• Like 1

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/11903-tring-park-associatesclassical-ballet-academy/?fromsearch=1

Hi tropic mama the above is a link to another similar thread which covers related issues.

I agree with Pictures that socks and full soled shoes best for that age. These schools do not want you to buy specially for auditions so don't worry too much just go with her usual stuff.

If you use the search function (it's in the grid thing on top right screen on my phone) you can search for Tring CBA and find similar threads to the one I've identified above.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Welcome from me too, Tropicmama. Sarahw has kindly provided links to some previous threads about Tring CBA. I've added the tag (a grey button under the thread) "CBA" and if you click on that, all the other threads discussing CBA will appear as a list. :)

You're quite right. I never moderate via my phone but I've just looked at the forum on it and the tags don't show, do they.

If you go down to the bottom of the page and click "Full Site", you can then see tags - but obviously the writing is smaller than on the mobile version.

Anyway, here's the list: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/tags/forums/CBA/

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone, for being so lovely and welcoming! I have been lurking around for the last few weeks as I find the info On this forum really helpful. I've been to other forums which aren't as friendly so I'm so pleased I finally decided to join this. My DD is beyond excited about the audition and she literally wants to do ballet every day if she could. Due to limited options in our area, she can only do 3 days at the moment, two half an hour sessions and one 1 hour one. She is always wanting more. Having only turned 7, she's at that wonderful stage where she gets excited over exams and she thinks an audition is just like an exam. She's very self-motivated about ballet, without needing any push from me or anyone. People are often surprised at how passionate she is about it, being so young still. I therefore want to help her as much as she can as I can see how happy it makes her. I would love any little tips from you lovely lot whose DCs have been in auditions before. Is there anything she can do to prepare for it outside her normal dance classes? Any items to bring on the day? She is also about to start Tring Park Associates in January which thankfully at her age does not require an audition yet

• Like 4

Items on the day - a water bottle that doesn't leak(!), spare socks/leotard if you have them, extra hair stuff, and a couple of snacks.

Oh, and let her know that some of the exercises in the class may be ones she hasn't done before, she just needs to join in and have fun as there will be others who haven't done them before either :)

• Like 1

If it helps, CBA uniform require canvas splits soles even in group 1 and pretty sure my DD who gained a place in the Nov audition a couple of yrs ago wore her split soles with socks

Probably better to wear the shoes you are familiar with to an audition, rather than try split soles if you've not worn them before - they do feel quite different and can take a bit of getting used to.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone, the information is very useful.  I am quite literally taking notes.  DD is still very excited and now that she knows there will be a flexibility test, she has taken to "You Tube-ing" children's ballet flexibility exercises and doing them every other night or so.  She's even more excited about the prospect of new shoes and socks!  She obviously needs to look her neatest and best which admittedly involves new shoes as the pairs she normally wear are both (lovingly) worn out despite being only purchased only a couple of months ago.  On my list are canvas split-soles.  She has tried a pair on that her teacher asked her to try on (unfortunately the size was a tad too big and the full sole was more her size hence she stuck with full sole).  Any tips on which brand/s to try?  I must admit we've never bought canvas before - always satin for exams and leather for classes.  Her feet are medium width.  She is Grade 1 RAD so wears a pale blue leotard which must not be the same for all ballet schools?  I suppose she can wear this to the audition.  I was just speaking to DH last night who asked me if I thought DD is actually good.  I told him that teachers think she has a natural ability but that I wouldn't know how she is compared to peers as I have no ballet background. Hence, I hope she can stand out, in a good way, from the start in case she is actually just average.  If that makes sense :-)

Her Grade 1 leotard will be fine. :) If you are within travelling distance of London then the Bloch shop and Dancia (both on Drury Lane) both have an excellent range of ballet shoes. You'll also be able to get pink ballet socks from there.

Split soles are not compulsory for the audition, so I wouldn't buy a pair just for one audition - if she needs a new pair anyway but full soles fit her better, I'd go with full sole for now, especially if she has to wear full sole for Grade 1.

And I'm sure you already know this but do be careful letting her copy exercises off Youtube - especially if she's doing them without warming up first. It would probably be safer if her teacher can go through them with her after class. Firstly she will already be warm, so the risk of injury is far less, and secondly, her teacher can ensure that she's doing them properly and safely.

• Like 3

Just wanted to add: ensure that if she wears knickers they don't show/creep down below the leotard. And in case they pin numbers on her (front and back), make sure the leotard doesn't have a cut out at the back. (At DD's first audition we had to pin the number on her bottom, which she was mortified about!)

• Like 2

Good points Cara! Although if the leotard is the 'standard' RAD one I'm thinking of then there won't be an issue with somewhere other than her bottom to pin the number on ;)

Yeah, I  made the mistake of letting her choose which leo she wore, and she chose one with a pretty crossover detail at the back – that just didn't have enough fabric to pin the numbers on. Rookie error!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Audition on Sunday now and whilst my DD is completely fine and nonplussed, I am getting a bit nervous!  It is her first time to audition for anything and I've given her the talk about there being only a few places and that she can always try again if she doesn't get through if she really wants to.  She says she is fine but why am I getting worried and nervous for her?  Is this normal?  I do understand that there aren't very many places and competition is fierce and I thought I was fine but as the day approaches, I am feeling a bit iffy.  I suppose I don't want her to get upset, especially since she only just turned 7 a couple of months ago but she was adamant she wanted to try (especially since she fell in love with the place and the classes when she started TPA not so long ago).  Any tips as the big day looms? 

My daughter attends the CBA and I would say your feelings are perfectly normal! I am always much more nervous than my daughter.

Only advice is smile and enjoy the experience, as much as they are looking for potential I am sure that they are also looking for dancers who clearly enjoy what they are doing.

Good luck

Tropic mama what you are feeling is completely normal - I think the majority of us feel like this.

I have found it helpful to remind myself that as a parent I'm there to assist my dd with what she wants to do and help her deal with the outcome, whatever it may be. Help them gain life skills from the experience. None of it is personal to you.

The above is easier said than done - I'm getting a bit better 6 years in to auditioning!!

• Like 3

I think we get nervous because we are rather powerless. It's natural for parents to want to help their children and to do everything they can to make them happy. But come audition day there is really nothing we can do to influence the outcome and that's not a nice feeling. I'd like to say it gets better as they get older but I'm not sure it's true! You do get a bit more used to it, but I think worrying about/for your children is just part and parcel of being a parent. I did my last professional exam when I was nearly 30 and my dad told me that my mum still couldn't sleep until I got the results!

• Like 3