Royal Summer School 2017 - four week programme this year

amos73

I've just heard of someone winning a 'direct entry award' for Summer School 2017. It was an email acknowledging the hard work from last year and granting then pre-selection for next year. Acceptance to be given by December.

Wow, that's amazing, was it for Whitelodge or Covent Garden? These places are so coveted, it is lovely to see hard work rewarded.

I think it's great that they are now offering more weeks and given the number of applicants they have each year, it certainly makes sense for the dancers and good business sense for the school!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think chances are any better this year than last for the 2 week course at White Lodge. Yes, there are now 2 x two week courses, but they now cover ages 14 and 15 as opposed to just 14. So surely twice the places but twice the number of eligible applicants too? Would love to be wrong though!

So, here we go again …………. You’ve got to try, haven’t you?! We have a couple of back-up plans that dd would also be happy with, so nothing to lose I suppose ……….except another £20! Really looking forward to taking that developpe photo :)

• Like 2

I don’t think chances are any better this year than last for the 2 week course at White Lodge. Yes, there are now 2 x two week courses, but they now cover ages 14 and 15 as opposed to just 14. So surely twice the places but twice the number of eligible applicants too? Would love to be wrong though!

So, here we go again …………. You’ve got to try, haven’t you?! We have a couple of back-up plans that dd would also be happy with, so nothing to lose I suppose ……….except another £20! Really looking forward to taking that developpe photo :)

Ah, well spotted BlueLou, I should have read all the details more carefully! so all the 15 yr olds that previously applied to CG, will now be in the mix with 14 yr olds At WL, so maybe even less chance! Hey ho, we will still give it a go ☺️

For upper school age 16 plus the website makes a distinction between weeks 1&2 & weeks 3&4

1&2 are for full time vocational or those considering full time vocational training the emphasis is on intro ing the RBS training system.

3&4 seems to be more emphasis on performance/being company ready/experiencing life as a professional dancer & is for recent graduates, full time vocational or those wishing to work on artistry & performance.

• Like 1

Just received a letter from RBS strongly encouraging WL children to participate in the new summer courses, previously not allowed to attend. Letter also provided detail of course content.

Suspect this might place a pigeon in amongst the cats.

Just received a letter from RBS strongly encouraging WL children to participate in the new summer courses, previously not allowed to attend. Letter also provided detail of course content.

Suspect this might place a pigeon in amongst the cats.

Oh dear! That’s got to be bad news for everyone else surely?? I mean in terms of number of places left available. Also, assuming WL families can afford further training during the holidays, I would have thought diversifying a bit would be beneficial and therefore encouraged by RBS?? 

• Like 2

Oh dear! That’s got to be bad news for everyone else surely?? I mean in terms of number of places left available. Also, assuming WL families can afford further training during the holidays, I would have thought diversifying a bit would be beneficial and therefore encouraged by RBS?? 

I do agree, it does sound as if your child is not already a WL student your chance of a place at the SS is a big fat zero.  How do they not know that they might find a new Darcey or Lauren amongst an 'outsider' attending for the very first time?. Quite blinkered in my opinion. But then you have to think that as they have been in the business for decades they would know what they are doing. Or maybe not.  :wacko:

• Like 1

My DS will be 10 by next summer.  Has anyone heard of a DD/DS get into RB summer school that young or is that just in exceptional cases?  I know the chances of being accepted is minuscule but if they are just 10 is that unheard of?

thanks

My DS will be 10 by next summer.  Has anyone heard of a DD/DS get into RB summer school that young or is that just in exceptional cases?  I know the chances of being accepted is minuscule but if they are just 10 is that unheard of?

thanks

My ds was accepted for Summer School aged 10 and 11 (years 5 and 6) so yes it is possible.

A quick question:

On RBS SS application form it asks whether you are considering applying for a full time place, YES or NO box.

Does it put your application in the "NO CHANCE" for a Summer place if you tick NO box? 

Just wondering

Thank you

Personally I would tick the considering box because it isn't committing you to an application but looks keen. Bearing in mind they take hardly any UK I think they need to think you're a potential full time punter. Others may disagree.....

• Like 1

thanks

Yes, my granddaughter was 9 when she first attended in 2012.

£1500 for 14/15 year olds residential! Ridiculous amount of money & funding may be available to those earning £45,000 or less! I'm sorry but this is clearly for students with rich parents or internationals paying full fees. It may well be a top summer school but for many the fees are out of reach!

£1500 for 14/15 year olds residential! Ridiculous amount of money & funding may be available to those earning £45,000 or less! I'm sorry but this is clearly for students with rich parents or internationals paying full fees. It may well be a top summer school but for many the fees are out of reach!

Having experienced both of my younger childrens' academic schools activity week (£) this SS actually appears quite reasonably priced. It's the world we now live in, doesn't mean I agree just nothing surprises me any more. Sadly.  :(

Never looked at RB ss as not vaguely interested, but there are some really lovely summer schools out there that don't cost anywhere near that much.

Nor have I, I was just curious when trawling through the application forms for the different SS and the questions that they were asking. 

Would love to know how any of them actually decide from photos and a piece of paper of who should get a place!

We had huge pressure to apply when dd was a JA. In retrospect only one girl and one boy got in from each year we were there. If I had my time again I wouldn't apply - it's income generation.

JA parents they used to run a course for Y6 at Covent Garden for a couple of days. Not sure if it still happens? I'm certain that was when they decided who they wanted.

Cynical? Maybe? Maybe not!!

• Like 1

Well, every summer school is motivated by income generation, there is no social benefit agenda. Not to my mind at least.

If no interest, that's fine, but based on a per night price this doesn't seem quite so expensive as might first appear.

Not to say they're aren't great cheaper alternatives, I only have experience of RBS.

• Like 1

We had huge pressure to apply when dd was a JA. In retrospect only one girl and one boy got in from each year we were there. If I had my time again I wouldn't apply - it's income generation.

JA parents they used to run a course for Y6 at Covent Garden for a couple of days. Not sure if it still happens? I'm certain that was when they decided who they wanted.

Cynical? Maybe? Maybe not!!

I think that seems a very reasonable conclusion sarahw! Got to be income generation when it comes to dancers they know well. They probably don’t even look at the forms/photos - why would they?? They must know which associate dancers they really want on the SS, but they’d like the £25 off everyone anyway! It’s not so much the money that would bother me as the whole process they encourage you to go through, with all the waiting and all the (probable) disappointment, when they probably know what the answer is going to be before you even submit your form.

• Like 1

but based on a per night price this doesn't seem quite so expensive as might first appear.

I'm with you on that one Sherbert. However I can understand the initial sharp intake when the price is seen on the screen. 

It's a bit like price of school uniform when bought all in one go, it can challenge most budgets but when broken down in to the amount of times worn over what period of time, it works out quite inexpensive.  Just doesn't feel like it at the time.  ;)

It's just a shame that there isn't the one week option for the older ones. £1,550 (breakfast only) plus travel and probably a nights stay for myself is a lot however it's broken down ...... I could take the whole family away for that price , that said I'll probably still apply for dd , 5th time lucky maybe

• Like 2