Royal Summer School 2017 - four week programme this year

amos73

Interesting to see they have extended the programme this year to four weeks in order to open up more spaces for applicants. Wl summer school now running for all of July pretty much which also gives much more choice for those children who are at state school and tied to those term dates. Definitely worth a punt with double the amount of spaces I reckon. 

Also, hasn't there been a much higher level of international students taking places in recent years? Perhaps this is an attempt by the new(ish) director to open more spaces up to UK students??

• Like 4

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WL is also open for 14/15 year olds.

However the dates for that age group appears to start on the 10th July. 

Most academic schools if not all in the UK (incl my DD) do not breakup until approx 21st July. 

I can see multiple applications for absence requests being submitted.  :(

Edited by balletbean

Most academic schools if not all in the UK (incl my DD) do not breakup until approx 21st July. 

They do this every year re the dates, and the upper school one starts on 10th July as well, which means that many students in vocational training elsewhere in the UK won't be able to attend. A bit ridiculous - and shows that they are more interested in overseas applicants (IMO). Irritating.

• Like 3

Thank you, I'm a newbie and thought most ran from the end of July into August. 

Applications go live for RBS on the 17th October

Elmhurst is the 6th August to the 12th August for the 15 yr old age group  (phone call this morning). 

Website to be updated shortly.  

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

The WL 14/15 year old age group have two dates - 10 july for 2 weeks and 24th July for 2 weeks which I would expect would be after all schools have finished for the summer holidays.

amos73, there appears to be two different programmes scheduled.

The latter 2 weeks are designed for those already in vocational training. 

Great opportunities but rather challenging on the diaries. 

For the upper school yes, but not for the lower school summer school, they just have two separate 2 week blocks for the 14/15 year olds at WL, but it is the same programme just with different dates.

• Like 1

amos73    Slightly confused. Not sure If I've read it correctly. 

DD turns 15 at the beginning of July, thought that would be Covent Garden but does that mean that she can apply to WL under the new scheme?  Thanks

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

amos73    Slightly confused. Not sure If I've read it correctly. 

DD turns 15 at the beginning of July, thought that would be Covent Garden but does that mean that she can apply to WL under the new scheme?  Thanks

Yes, I believe it does. There is now a 14/15 year old summer school programme at WL that is two weeks long (no option to do one week so is expensive) and has two possible start dates, the 10th July and the 24th July.

• Like 1

Thank you Amos73, I will definitely have a closer look after the 17th. As they say nothing to lose (albeit a nominal fee) to submit an application form, then cross fingers until March.

Someone, somewhere has to be offered a place. ;)   

• Like 1

Both of my Ds's wanted to apply this year and if I am reading it correctly it seems that boys can only attend the first 2 weeks of Summer School and have been split by age. If they were both lucky enough to gain a place then it seems that DS2 (year 5) will have to go for week 1 and DS1 (year 7) will have to attend week 2!!

Have you checked the link/PDF I posted above? They could also do week 3 and 4. I don't know about school years, eligibility is by age at Aug2017.

Not the boys though Sherbert? They are currently age 9 and 11 but their age will be based on age 10 and 12 at August 31st

Do any other schools charge for you to apply?

Yes, from what I've seen. It's an admin charge, which is understandable. Unless there is no selection process and the school offer first some first served basis, non refundable deposit required instead.

Summer school application process can be very costly to the individual establishments. 

And there are more places this year!

Great, just a small matter of whether my DD continues on a particular GCSE course or drop that subject now in case she is offered a place! 

Compulsory trip away clashes with the summer school dates. The school is breaking up 2 weeks later than it has ever done in the past. Typical.  :D

I totally understand. DD was trying to find a justifible reason to drop that particular subject to claw back valuable homework time within her school day. The trip was going to be a week in wellies!!. Not her choice in footwear!!! Also I would be the one paying for that trip.

Really hope that these longer dates whereby it looks like there will be double the overall spaces for each age group does indeed give more UK kids the chance to attend.....2 years running DD has been on the wait list with no place materializing....maybe this year could be her year :) Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Really hope that these longer dates whereby it looks like there will be double the overall spaces for each age group does indeed give more UK kids the chance to attend.....2 years running DD has been on the wait list with no place materializing....maybe this year could be her year :) Fingers crossed!

4 years for my DD Peanut68 !!!! ...... I'm slightly confused which weeks to apply for this year as the first 2 weeks are offering a slightly different programme , I think she might be better on the first two weeks CG if she was lucky enough to gain a place ...... I'm going to ask her Associate teacher .... Probably overthinking matters as usual !

Fingers crossed for your DD know how frustrating WL can be .

• Like 3

I've just heard of someone winning a 'direct entry award' for Summer School 2017. It was an email acknowledging the hard work from last year and granting then pre-selection for next year. Acceptance to be given by December.

How lovely , was this from an associate programme Pointypurtoes?

Thanks Amos73 we live in hope lol .

• Like 1

Where did you find the details about the slightly different programme????  I am thrilled that there is an option of a later period - the early one would have meant my student would have had to miss the school performance if she were accepted.  Wonder if they'll include pas de deux at White Lodge for the 14/15 year olds.

• Like 1

Where did you find the details about the slightly different programme????  I am thrilled that there is an option of a later period - the early one would have meant my student would have had to miss the school performance if she were accepted.  Wonder if they'll include pas de deux at White Lodge for the 14/15 year olds.

Sorry but I'm no good at copying links. 

Full details available on the RBS website. Applications go live on the 17th October. 

The first two weeks (starting 10th July) are focused at those not already attending a vocational school, the latter 2 weeks are for those that do!  

• Like 1

Announcement: http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2016/09/30/royal-ballet-school-announces-new-extended-summer-programme/

More details: http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/summer-programme/

To paste a link:  Copy the URL by right clicking on it and selecting the copy option.  Go to where you want to paste the link and position the cursor accordingly.  Right click by the cursor and select the paste option.  Publish your post.

• Like 2