Adult Ballet - questions, answers, classes and info

munchkin16

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my first Lincoln ballet class tomorrow at 8.00! Eek! Excited/nervous...say a prayer for me please, dear Ballet Co-ers! :D

Good luck Fiz - enjoy! Whilst not a new class, I had my first proper class last night since being off for a month or so with achilles tendinitis - I was surprisingly nervous! Was a great class though and came out feeling properly worked (and covered in sweat...!).

And I don't really mean to get involved in the debate regarding the barre, but it made me think of a rather lovely comment that one of my teachers back in the States said to an adult class: that one of the uses of the barre is to prepare the ladies for working with a partner (albeit a wooden one in this case!) and that guys should think about how they use the barre to help realise what their partner needs during Pas de Deux. Of course, in MacMillan's utterly gorgeous second movement of Concerto, the man starts out acting as a literal barre, with the piece inspired by MacMillan watching Lynn Seymour warming up before class.

• Like 8

it made me think of a rather lovely comment that one of my teachers back in the States said to an adult class: that one of the uses of the barre is to prepare the ladies for working with a partner (albeit a wooden one in this case!) and that guys should think about how they use the barre to help realise what their partner needs during Pas de Deux. Of course, in MacMillan's utterly gorgeous second movement of Concerto, the man starts out acting as a literal barre, with the piece inspired by MacMillan watching Lynn Seymour warming up before class.

This made me smile - I remember watching dd's year 7 class at White Lodge and the girls were asked to place their hand on the barre as if taking the hand of their prince. I remember thinking it was a lovely analogy.

On the rare occasions when we have watched class since I am constantly amazed by the real precision tuning that goes on at the barre. It is never about how high a leg can go, but how it gets there, not about how long you can balance, but how your body and mind is maintaining that balance. The pupils are certainly encouraged to be thinking dancers whilst respecting a tradition that links them back to generations of dancers before.

I am not saying this in anyway to fuel debate - the comment just reminded me of how much I enjoy watching barre work, the exercises are a bit like beautifully executed 'pre-flight checks' that enable them to 'take off'  when they get to the centre  

• Like 12

DavidW I really love Concerto and the second movement especially as the music is so gorgeous but a little masterpiece by Macmillan.

One of the most moving I saw was an RBS performance a few moons ago,now but a dancer called Denise Nunn did the second movement and she was lovely. She also was the first maid in The Month in the Country (Vera) but then disappeared to Australia or New Zealand I think but had a lovely soft flowing style.

Sorry about your foot it's so frustrating.....Ive got a foot injury too at mo it came on again after the Workshop on Saturday just as it was getting better so will have to rest it this week.....so no classes :(

• Like 1

DavidW and lisadebs, that's so lovely!

I remember (reluctantly!) being told off gently by one of the lovely teachers at DanceWorks many moons ago.

I was 6 months into my adult ballet life, and so keen to test (or show off?) my balance often I wasn't using barre.   A prime example of ignorance and incompetence breed arrogance.

Honestly, tip toe balancing on one foot, and look no hands! - we have all been there and done that, aged 3!

I hope my (beginner's) sin was absolved by now, as I know better now.  My confession for the day. ;)

Edited by mimi66

Good luck Fiz - enjoy! Whilst not a new class, I had my first proper class last night since being off for a month or so with achilles tendinitis - I was surprisingly nervous! Was a great class though and came out feeling properly worked (and covered in sweat...!).

And I don't really mean to get involved in the debate regarding the barre, but it made me think of a rather lovely comment that one of my teachers back in the States said to an adult class: that one of the uses of the barre is to prepare the ladies for working with a partner (albeit a wooden one in this case!) and that guys should think about how they use the barre to help realise what their partner needs during Pas de Deux. Of course, in MacMillan's utterly gorgeous second movement of Concerto, the man starts out acting as a literal barre, with the piece inspired by MacMillan watching Lynn Seymour warming up before class.

I have never ever thought of it like that, yet it makes perfect sense! Thank you DavidW. :-)

• Like 1

Don't expect too much, anyone. My left shoulder is absolutely caning, as our eldest would say. The local chiropractor doesn't work Wednesday afternoon but my husband has given my shoulders a brief massage and I tried some plies and stretching and I can manage. I feel I must go tonight or I never will again. I hardly went at all last term because of all the packig. :(

• Like 1

I ended up in the advanced class which made me feel like rubbish but I was told to stay in it and that I really could dance, so I must have done something right!

Sounds like a successful first class back,  Fiz!

Did you wear the yellow leo?

Thank you! To be absolutely honest, I thought I was dreadful but I can't have been or I wouldn't have been told to stay in the class. Still, I remember feeling none too enthusiastic about my first class at my old school. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 8

Dear Fiz,

I don’t know you or your dance history (I’m quite new to this board) but I want to add my congratulations!

I teach adult ballet and I know the obstacles and fears adult dancers have to overcome - before they start taking class, and then during the class…

“Chapeau”  to you and your fellow dancers!

• Like 11

Petunia

Although I am also very new to this forum I should like to be one of the first to welcome you here.

As a very unpromising and somewhat over mature ballet student I am very grateful to my teachers who show bottomless patience.  My classes mean a lot to me and I have learned a lot more from them than just pliés and tendus.  

As I posted on another thread I was at a talk by Dame Antoinette Sibley on Sunday when she expressed her adoration for her own teachers who included Tamara Karsavina and Pamela May. She talked about tradition in ballet and about how every class represents every teacher, choreographer and dancer who has gone before. I am delighted that you are teaching students like me in your country and I wish you and them all the best.

Oh and I forgot to add my own congratulations and best wishes to Fiz.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 5

Ah! I just checked the timetable. I thought they only ran three adult classes and the last one on Wednesday was advanced. It isn't, it's intermediate. Maybe I can manage it as my previous school did a Grade 6/Intermediate level for adults. Phew! :D

• Like 3

Thank you Terpsichore.

I am happy to hear that there are ballet students who realize that they not only are getting a terrific workout but also feel that they are part of a great tradition.

People who take the chance to get right inside into an art form and are willing experience quite an exciting journey.

• Like 4

Glad it went well Fiz, even if you thought it was dreadful.  Your teacher is only assessing you on a first visit but it has been commented on several times how much a teacher can tell from a new student right from the start and don't forget your teacher does know the level of all her exisiting students when she is looking at which class will suit you.

• Like 1

Barre was fine, apart from double frappees. Adage was my downfall! Lots of jetes en tournant, temps de cuisse and sisonne. My balance was terrible. I haven't danced properly since August and it showed. I knew, so I am sure the teacher did. I will preserve with it! :)

• Like 2