Ballet dictionary

Gowiththeflo

Sorry can't offer any suggestions but whilst on the subject of books I have a question (if you don't mind me hi-jacking your post)

I'm looking for a book for a young teenager about the classical ballets incl synopsis, characters and a brief history etc, nothing too detailed. Some books appeared too detailed and complicated. 

I've looked on Amazon and far too many too choose from which could result in a costly purchase if I don't chose correctly. Already bought one which turned out to be wrong.

I've even contacted WL thinking they could recommend an age appropriate publication, another unsuccessful exercise.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thank you 

Does it have to be a book? My DD was given a DVD that was called something like "A video dictionary of classical ballet" (I'm not at home to check the exact title sorry.) She found it very useful as the terms are of course demonstrated visually rather than just verbally. Also works well in reverse when you are trying to figure out what something you have seen is actually called!

• Like 1

Gail Grant's book is a good oneTechnical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet It is one of the few that has arms for different syllabuses. I actually have this version Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet (Dover Books on Dance) by Grant, Gail 3 Rev Sub (1967) Paperback but I assume it hasn't changed. I have this one too A Dictionary of Ballet Terms (Ballet, Dance, Opera and Music) which is nearly as good. I don't know how suitable they would be for a 12yo.

Pups_mum might be referring to The Visual Dictionary of Ballet for Children

• Like 1

Balletbean

My dd had this one at around age 11

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stories-Ballet-Margaret-Greaves/dp/0711221626

It has Sleeping B, Giselle, Firebird, Ondine, SL,Petrushka, Nut and Copelia. Each has around 5xA4 pages in medium sized print.

It's not the most sophisticated but allowed her to access the stories easily and it's still on the bookcase at age 14.

Whoops! I see Amazon says reading age 5-8 which I think is a bit young. Dd had a reading age well into the teens when she got it. You can get a 2nd hand one for £2.81 including postage.

It wasn't a reading challenge but gave the plot nicely. No comments on ballet technique or history.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

Whoops! I see Amazon says reading age 5-8 which I think is a bit young. Dd had a reading age well into the teens when she got it. You can get a 2nd hand one for £2.81 including postage.

It wasn't a reading challenge but gave the plot nicely. No comments on ballet technique or history.

Thank you Sarahw,  That's exactly the situation I have found myself in. 

Delightful colourful books but for the very young, then the adult books with no or very few images. Nothing aimed at the teenage pre vocational school age.

So frustrating and costly to date. 

Maybe I have found a gap in the market and there is a possible business enterprise for me!!!   :huh:

• Like 1

Sorry can't offer any suggestions but whilst on the subject of books I have a question (if you don't mind me hi-jacking your post)

I'm looking for a book for a young teenager about the classical ballets incl synopsis, characters and a brief history etc, nothing too detailed. Some books appeared too detailed and complicated. 

I've looked on Amazon and far too many too choose from which could result in a costly purchase if I don't chose correctly. Already bought one which turned out to be wrong.

I've even contacted WL thinking they could recommend an age appropriate publication, another unsuccessful exercise.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thank you 

Pocket Guide to Ballet by Deborah Bull and Luke Jennings. Brief synopses of major ballets together with their historical background and Deborah Bull's notes about which roles she enjoyed dancing (a sort of ballerina's eye view). There are also chapters on the major choreographers, Petipa, Balanchine etc.

Should be fine for a young teenager, especially if they have seen some of the ballets mentioned. Got ours second-hand off ebay.

• Like 1

Gail Grant's book is a good oneTechnical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet It is one of the few that has arms for different syllabuses. I actually have this version Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet (Dover Books on Dance) by Grant, Gail 3 Rev Sub (1967) Paperback but I assume it hasn't changed. I have this one too A Dictionary of Ballet Terms (Ballet, Dance, Opera and Music) which is nearly as good. I don't know how suitable they would be for a 12yo.

Pups_mum might be referring to The Visual Dictionary of Ballet for Children

I have both the books Trog mentions, and they're excellent. Lots of drawings and photographs. This is the problem with online book buying - you can't riffle through to see whether the book is the right level and so on ...

There's also a good online ballet dictionary, from the ABT (American Ballet Theatre): 

http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/

• Like 1

Pocket Guide to Ballet by Deborah Bull and Luke Jennings. Brief synopses of major ballets together with their historical background and Deborah Bull's notes about which roles she enjoyed dancing (a sort of ballerina's eye view). There are also chapters on the major choreographers, Petipa, Balanchine etc.

Should be fine for a young teenager, especially if they have seen some of the ballets mentioned. Got ours second-hand off ebay.

Thank you,

I have that book but from a teenagers perspective it was wordy with very small print and no images to capture the essence of the ballet. 

We've all seen Swan Lake iconic images but some of the less familiar ballets when researched could be enhanced with photos (even for me). 

Gowiththeflo, I bought "Classical Ballet Technique" by Gretchen Ward Warren for my DD a few years ago (I think she was 14 at the time) and she has found it invaluable. It's large (A4 size and 395 pages) but has sequential photographs of steps and also definitions of terminology as well as stylistic variations. Very detailed and clear. 

As a quick reference DD uses an app on her phone, I think it's called "Ballet lite", no idea what it costs.

Edited by Lucinda
  • Like 1