7 things that take no talent in dance that can make (or break) your career

Jan McNulty

Well you couldn't very well disagree with any of that.

However to be honest it makes me feel a bit defeated and miserable before I've even started!!

There's just a bit TOO much TRYING in it!! A bit too much of a perfect world and all that.

How about just a tiny bit of the Sir Frederick Ashton approach!

Just to add whether applied to Dance or Life of course.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Agree with all of that and know plenty of young, talented ballet dancers who do all of that but understandably get a little deflated when they see the few who do none of that, behave appallingly and everyone turns a blind eye because they are the talented favourite!

One thing about ballet (and other areas of life) in the real world is that reward is not always directly related to effort.

• Like 7

In my view and experience of Life so far ...most people who don't put any effort in don't actually get very far and if they do not for long.....no matter how talented they are.

It's just that the above article doesn't really allow you to be human that's all!!

• Like 2

Also unfortunately some peoples "resting faces" can look very serious or even unhappy.....just the way the it is for them and their faces light up when they smile!

But why should they have to put this permanent smile on to please whoever!! And so not be themselves. In this respect I think the article is a little rude and unforgiving. Dancers in class are not some sort of "Stepford Wives"

And everybody yawns occasionally in class .....as long as you do the polite thing and cover up etc!! Yawning doesn't mean you are not putting an effort in or not interested or not listening etc etc it just means you may be exceptionally tired that day!!

Of course there is some very good advice in this article but I do hate it when it veers a bit into the "holier than thow" territory.

From my point of view of course!

• Like 5

Well I think I'm failing on all counts at some time or another! After a day's work, ferrying kids, making dinners, doing homework etc just turning up seems an achievement at times!

And doing our best is as much as any of us can do.  I think this is a good list of what to aim for - not to be taken as gospel!

• Like 4

I worry slightly that - for the already conscientious student in a non-vocational setting, where they are already balancing many hours of dance with academic and other commitment - such ideas may actually leave them open to a certain amount of "exploitation" by teachers.

It's a bit like the 'presenteeism' culture in some companies - being there, a competitive 'harder work, longer hours' culture, and manager pleasing behaviour, comes to matter more than the intrinsic quality of the work or of the employee. And in such companies, those with other commitments, those trying to balance different aspects of their lives, those who for whatever reason do not want to be subsumed into that culture, can miss out on the success that they deserve through the quality of their work.

I don't mean that teachers set out to 'exploit' their students - but there can be a tendency to blindness about other commitments, a focus on hours and unquestioning 'yes miss' attitudes that can be unhealthy in the wrong hands and with vulnerable younger children / teens in particular.

• Like 5

I've just made a little poster with the bits I agree with and tweaked to add my own spin. As a teacher I think it's generally good advice probably more geared towards ballet but I think ballet should be given a totally different approach to say street dance where slouching and sullen face seems mandatory.

• Like 1

I also have to say that whilst in the whole I agree with the idea that dsncedance s should arrive at class neat & tidy when dd danced at a local dance school the 4.15pm ballet class on a weeknight the teacher said it was more important for them to actually be there then worry about perfect buns etc. Dd w not to a school 3 mins walk away & finished school at 3.30pm. Some children didn't finish school until 4pm & had a 10 min drive through town centre school run traffic.

I agree with the hair comment pictures, a lot of my weeknight students arrive either with their hair in ponytails or the buns that their mums dutifully put in before school frizzy and half hanging out (I like to think the messier the hair the more fun they've had at school). They have to get changed from school anyway so I really don't see the difference between putting on leggings and a crop and putting on correct ballet uniform.

What I agreed with most is that students should be prepared to take corrections and have a positive attitude, everything else is just visual

• Like 1

Also unfortunately some peoples "resting faces" can look very serious or even unhappy.....just the way the it is for them and their faces light up when they smile!

But why should they have to put this permanent smile on to please whoever!! And so not be themselves. In this respect I think the article is a little rude and unforgiving. Dancers in class are not some sort of "Stepford Wives"

And everybody yawns occasionally in class .....as long as you do the polite thing and cover up etc!! Yawning doesn't mean you are not putting an effort in or not interested or not listening etc etc it just means you may be exceptionally tired that day!!

Of course there is some very good advice in this article but I do hate it when it veers a bit into the "holier than thow" territory.

From my point of view of course!

I worry slightly that - for the already conscientious student in a non-vocational setting, where they are already balancing many hours of dance with academic and other commitment - such ideas may actually leave them open to a certain amount of "exploitation" by teachers.

It's a bit like the 'presenteeism' culture in some companies - being there, a competitive 'harder work, longer hours' culture, and manager pleasing behaviour, comes to matter more than the intrinsic quality of the work or of the employee. And in such companies, those with other commitments, those trying to balance different aspects of their lives, those who for whatever reason do not want to be subsumed into that culture, can miss out on the success that they deserve through the quality of their work.

I don't mean that teachers set out to 'exploit' their students - but there can be a tendency to blindness about other commitments, a focus on hours and unquestioning 'yes miss' attitudes that can be unhealthy in the wrong hands and with vulnerable younger children / teens in particular.

I totally agree with both of you! Some of the points in the original article, to me, are directly related to the archaic traditional ballet world, where dancers stand in straight lines, all with identical perfect hair, matching leotards and bright (glassy?) eyes and who listen attentively to the teacher before carrying out their every instruction without giving any of it a second thought. I'd much rather my dance students showed some individualism and intelligence than had perfect hair every lesson. 

And yawning?! Chances are the dancer isn't breathing properly if they're yawning in class. Or they're genuinely tired. Rather than berating them for not paying attention or not working hard enough perhaps teachers should consider adapting their class to get students breathing better or being more alert!?!?!

• Like 4

I agree LinMM, especially when written by a dance teacher, it sounds just a little bit threatening ('don't expect to get away with letting your face relax into neutral, you must have a pleasant expression at all times OR ELSE the ballet police will immediately mark you out as an uncommitted slacker thus ending your chance of a career instantly'....) (!)

• Like 5

As a teacher I would much prefer a pleasant face. I have often teased my older pupils about how they look so miserable when presumably they are only still coming because thdy love ballet. It does translate onto stage (and I imagine in auditions & exams), those with the best classroom faces also have the best "public" faces.

Tbh, I have absolutely no issue with the items expecting students to be well presented and correctly dressed for class.

The messages that i feel somewhat less comfortable with, if taken at face value, are the ones that focus on 'doing extra / doing more / always over-delivering e.g. dancing full out rather than marking, doing every exercise with both halves of the class, practising after class or 50 times for a correction.

For one thing, a good teacher will tell students to mark when marking is the best way of learning at that point - perhaps judging the overall state of the class at that moment, perhaps to ask students to focus on the order of the choreography at that moment rather than 'step performing technique'. For another, it takes absolutely no account of what a student may actually need to balance their life - time to rest, time to do homework, quite simply time to get home for a family meal, energy (I know many teachers might shudder at this) for the school's crunch netball match after school tomorrow, or alertness for a critical maths test first thing in the morning.

I also worry that if a child or group DOES consistently over deliver, the class teacher will begin to see that as 'the norm' and thus the pressure will come to 'over deliver even further', which can be a dangerous spiral unless the dance teacher is very conscious of it.

• Like 5

Yes but only if you are also feeling a similar way. If you are personally "in your energy zone" no amount of yawning from others will make you yawn only if it also reflects a bit how you are or are feeling too.

I agree with Parent Taxi being reasonably tidy etc is not a problem

It s some of the other stuff that is more .....unreasonable ....is best way I can put it.

Sometimes in a class especially when rehearsing new choreography for productions etc the teacher DOESNT want you to dance FULL OUT all the time and if she has told you to mark .....say a new bit ....until get a bit more familiar...(eg often mark through two to three times BEFORE doing full out....and somebody decides to crash on full out it at this stage it can be dangerous even!!

Also I'm not sure what she means by going in every group. If the teacher has put the class into two groups then you should STAY in YOUR group.....usually there are space reasons for this ....or the teacher wants a closer look at LESS people dancing!! I get very irritated in more open classes where someone insists in going in ALL groups ...running in at last minute and getting often in others way so they have to re position themselves to save collision ( like being cut up on the road!!)

I think what has happened is that in order to make her points she has over done it a little. I think most of us get where she is coming from and of course this article is aimed more at young teenage dancers who do often take their "moods" into class with them more than an adult would ......adults have learnt the "public face" thing!

It's just that there is a tone coming off this article that unless you are perfect ALL the time you are not acceptable and this is what I personally dislike about it even though has some good advice there.

• Like 4

I agree with you Lin regarding students going in every group.

There was a girl at a dance day that my DD attended that did just this. She also practiced every single correction whilst it was being explained to the class. Not only did this behaviour annoy the other students who had been split into groups to give them more space, it eventually annoyed the teacher too. He told her to stick to her own group and to follow his instruction when asked rather than try to dominate his attention and distract other students.

I feel their is nothing wrong with appearing keen to learn, but it must be coupled with respect for your fellow students and their personal space.

This particular dancer appeared very arrogant and self important to the parents watching (apart from her own!). Perhaps that's a rule to be added to the list. "Be careful not to appear arogant"

• Like 6

I agree with you Lin regarding students going in every group.

There was a girl at a dance day that my DD attended that did just this. She also practiced every single correction whilst it was being explained to the class. Not only did this behaviour annoy the other students who had been split into groups to give them more space, it eventually annoyed the teacher too. He told her to stick to her own group and to follow his instruction when asked rather than try to dominate his attention and distract other students.

I feel their is nothing wrong with appearing keen to learn, but it must be coupled with respect for your fellow students and their personal space.

This particular dancer appeared very arrogant and self important to the parents watching (apart from her own!). Perhaps that's a rule to be added to the list. "Be careful not to appear arogant"

Hmmm... we've come across one or two of these - they do tend to dominate proceedings somewhat don't they! ;) It must be quite a challenge for teachers when faced with such a student.

• Like 2

Its the 3 'R's all over again: respect (for yourself) respect (for your fellow students) respect (for your teachers). Seriously dd did a workshop recently where it was pointed out that the world of dance is a very small one, and if you get a reputation for being difficult to work with and/or not a team player, it will tend to follow you around.

I wonder what age group the author had in mind when writing this and also wonder if they were referring to the once-a-week student or everyone.

For young children, they don't have much influence over being on time. I used to see children being made to plank for being late and felt sorry for them as it was the parents responsibility to get then there on time. I genuinely don't see that excluding or belittling or humiliating a child for lateness is appropriate especially if they are young and clearly do not travel to classes independently.

I also think that for a large part, the sense of social belonging in a group is important. Children are quick to learn that nobody likes a kiss-ass and that's more likely to lead to problems.

Also agree with the person who mentioned exploitation by teachers unfortunately :(

I think the author could have made their point without going to extremes

• Like 2

Its the 3 'R's all over again: respect (for yourself) respect (for your fellow students) respect (for your teachers). Seriously dd did a workshop recently where it was pointed out that the world of dance is a very small one, and if you get a reputation for being difficult to work with and/or not a team player, it will tend to follow you around.

Oh, gosh you are so right. 

Fortunately being involved in a very small performing arts community (incl Am Dram) no one can afford to be a 'diva' of self importance as they learn very fast how the business works. Something that should be taught for all walks of life. :)

• Like 1

Every Monday DD has a 30 minute walk home from school (or if it's raining a 35 minute bus journey - don't ask!!), drops her brother at home, has 5 minutes to change and then a 30 minute walk to her first Ballet class of the evening.  IF she is delayed at all, her teacher doesn't give her a hard time as she knows that whilst making her way to class she has been warming up by alternating between walking and running, stretching all her muscle groups and absolutely arrives alert and ready to work - for the next 4 hours!

Her hair may be a bit 'hectic' by the time she arrives - Frizz Ease can only be expected to cope with a certain degree of weather conditions(!) - but again no problems from her teacher as she knows that DD's attitude is absolutely spot on.

For me that's the key message - attitude is everything.

Yes, turning up smart and presentable to a class is the aim, and in no way should someone be disrespectful to a Teachers wishes, however similarly once the Teacher knows the dancer the attitude is what counts - In my opinion obviously.

• Like 5