Audition Leotard

Tinkerbell05

Ballet bean just to answer your question it was for a year 7 place so she was 10 yrs old. They were in front of a panel including the head of dance, the director of the school and a doctor. I can tell you we found the biggest Bridget Jones pants we could find! TBH she didn't care she was just desperate to go to the school and every other child was in the same boat. People think very differently there about bodies (I tell you you would not believe the sights you see at the swimming pool the changing rooms ) It makes you realise that sometimes we can be a little too uptight about our bodies and we should relax and just be ourselves, others in the World certainly don't care!

DRSC

• Like 2

Ballet bean just to answer your question it was for a year 7 place so she was 10 yrs old. They were in front of a panel including the head of dance, the director of the school and a doctor. I can tell you we found the biggest Bridget Jones pants we could find! TBH she didn't care she was just desperate to go to the school and every other child was in the same boat. People think very differently there about bodies (I tell you you would not believe the sights you see at the swimming pool the changing rooms ) It makes you realise that sometimes we can be a little too uptight about our bodies and we should relax and just be ourselves, others in the World certainly don't care!

DRSC

Interesting, I think there is an issue during the early teens however after having performed numerous stage productions as an adult in the confines of backstage with 30 seconds to spare the expression "don't care!" springs to mind.   He He He  

• Like 3

Simple is best at this age - look at their eye colour and find a colour that brings out their little features  - so not pastel pink on a very pale child etc. It helps them stand out and removing the jA leotard gives them their own sense of identity. Its easier for the panel to remember 'the girl in the blue leotard" as opposed to "which of the 5 JA's are we taking about??"!   Good luck with auditions xx

• Like 2

Simple is best at this age - look at their eye colour and find a colour that brings out their little features  - so not pastel pink on a very pale child etc. It helps them stand out and removing the jA leotard gives them their own sense of identity. Its easier for the panel to remember 'the girl in the blue leotard" as opposed to "which of the 5 JA's are we taking about??"!   Good luck with auditions xx

Does the colour also apply for upper school auditions or are they all expected to wear black? Maybe a simple hair/bun accessory?  Thank you

Goes for all auditions. Royal do like a strappy leotard but any classical colour (i.e. not bright pink!) is acceptable. Avoid the over complicated styles today with lace etc, a simple criss cross is ok but plain, comfortable and flattering are best. i agree with testing them out as the newer materials slid the up their tights! Whilst on the subject - please tell your students/children that dragging their leotards up over their hips does not give them longer legs!!!! It just exaggerates the size of their hips. Always an immaculate bun (parting to suit their face shape - not everyone looks great with the hair straight back. Some suit a centre part with subtle twists to lift cheek bones) and take a spare pair of tights! x

• Like 6

Thanks for this Emma, we are just trying to pick audition leotards for Dd, who fancies moving from her usual black to plum/dark purple. She was quite keen on a bit of lace or mesh but reading your post makes me think perhaps not! I have been trawling web sites and would welcome any suggestions if anyone has spotted anything that might fit the bill. Thank you

Does the colour also apply for upper school auditions or are they all expected to wear black? Maybe a simple hair/bun accessory? Thank you

You will see every colour of leotard at upper school auditions. Same advice what suits and is comfortable, avoid over busy.

• Like 1

My dd is very very pale (Irish/English parents) with blond hair, after discussing with her teacher, last year we bought a simple Degas leotard for competitions and auditions in 'Begonia', a very pale pink/beige mix. Dark leotards make her look like she is ill, and the style really suited her physique as well as being very simple. She wore it for several comps so by the time the auditions came around she was very comfortable in it and it gave her the extra boost she needed!

• Like 3