Audition Leotard

Tinkerbell05

My daughter is a JA at RBS auditioning this year for year 7.

I don't think it's appropriate to wear her JA leotard to other school auditions. Personally find it a bit rude turning up to another school - it's like saying look at me I must be good.

Other mums keep telling me I must must send her in her JA leotard so she stands out straight away.

Surely though if you are good enough it doesn't matter if you are a JA or not or what leotard you wear.

First audition is in November so have some time but just wondered if anyone had opinions on this?

I'm in PR so for me in my industry it wouldn't be the done thing turning up to Reiss event head to toe in Whistles ????

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you

• Like 2

I'm not brave enough to broach the subject - she is very anti vocational school ha ha!

How extraordinary! I've heard of some teachers being opposed to associate schemes, which as your daughter is a JA clearly isn't the case. But never anti-vocational school! Did the teacher not train at one herself?

At that age many children will only have their class leotards. My dd did her audition in her RAD lavender leotard.

I think it's best to wear whatever she feels the most comfortable in. Personally I find the White RBS JA leotard quite unflattering on a lot of children but if your dd suits it & likes it, why not wear it.

I think it's a totally different ball game post 16 though.

• Like 2

My dd friends who auditioned last year wore their JA leotard only to RBS first audition then were told to wear a bright leotard at finals.

For other schools a different leotard was worn. They'll know she's a JA from her application form and unless it gives your daughter confidence wearing it id say go with a lovely leotard she feels special in for non RBS auditions xx

Edited by Balletmummy55
  • Like 2

She has never been too pleased re JA associates either but I did it anyway, I felt it was best for my DD and I still believe it is. So upsetting the apple cart further re vocational schools when not even sure of a place to me seems pointless!

You may well find that the local teacher needs to sign application forms for lower schools, and even write a reference for some of them, so probably best to chat to her before applying.

My daughter was never an RBS JA but was an associate elsewhere. If I remember rightly, for Upper School auditions, she and her friends wore their Associate leotards at the two full-time schools who ran the associates, and their favourite non-associate leos at the other schools. RBS JA leos are very recognisable though and I am sure do give an instant indicator to a selection panel. That can give some children a confidence boost, which can be beneficial. The advice above to wear it to prelims and a different one to finals is probably good.

• Like 1

Thank you for your lovely replies and feel very confident in my decision to only wear to RBS.

It all gets a bit overwhelming sometimes with some very "strong" characters but that it what makes the world go round I guess.

Xx

Ps pictures in flight I 100% agree plus my daughter has a lovely Aqua leotard she is dying to wear! I know she will feel very special in that one

• Like 3

In my opinion - definitely don't wear the JA uniform. I agree it's bad manners

(please forgive me all of you with children who auditioned wearing the RBS uniform, it's just my opinion and everybody else can disagree and it maybe was a right thing for their children, their favourite leotard, confidence boost etc).

I think that apart from the "look at me I'm already with RBS" it isn't just right to wear it in Tring or Hammond. Also there will be children who never got to RBS JAs and would feel that they are not standing a chance at audition when compared with JA children. This of course isn't true at all but children are very sensitive and auditions can be stressful for some so why add to it.

I should add that my DD was a JA and didn't wear her JA uniform to any of auditions and got an offer from all 3 schools she tried for. But there were children wearing RBS or Elmhurst leotards so your DD won't be the only one if you decide to wear it.

I'll go for flattering leotard which your DD likes the most and feels comfortable wearing it.

(Good luck with the ballet teacher. Shame she isn't supportive). Maybe JA teacher will be able to suggest a leotard. My DD's JA teacher helped all of the year 6 girls - and was strongly against wearing the JA leotard.

• Like 5

I've no personal experience of lower school auditions, but I can't really imagine that leotard choice is really going to influence any selection panel worth their salt. The only way I can see it making a difference is if it affects the way the auditionee feels and therefore influences their self confidence. Personally I would go for something that your DD likes,that fits her well and that she feels confident in. My DD was never a JA but one of her best friends was and I know she never liked the leotard and complained it was too see through so I know she wouldn't have wanted to wear it for an audition. That was 10 years ago mind you - they may be different now of course. But basically, I would go with whatever suits your DD best as she will perform best if she is happy.

• Like 2

The JA leotards were redesigned due to the see through issue.  My feeling is that everyone likes a JA.  It tells the panel, without having to look at the paperwork, that this child has already been chosen from hundreds of other children who applied.  It also tells them that they have benefitted from at least a few months (by the time of audition) of JA training.

If your DD feels proud of her JA leotard, let her wear it.

Re bright leotards, I think that at this young age, for classical courses, a subtle colour and style may be more a more sensible option?

• Like 1

Ask her JA teacher for advice, it was many yrs ago for both my girls but from memory I think Royal told them to wear their JA leotards....both had very different end results so its not down to the leotard! Younger DD is now preparing for US auditions and the quest for a Leo is driving me crazy, I would quite like it if she could just wear her associate one lol! ???? good luck with it all.

• Like 3

Can only add my Dd experience last year...Wore her JA leotard to Elmhurst prelims- didn't get through to finals so decided just to wear her favourite bright pink leotard to RBS prelim.. Got through to finals and offered a place at WL, who knows if it made any difference!!

• Like 4

I don't think the school's mind. Rbs jas run in several locations whereas Tring and Hammond only offer their associates in their own locations. My dd is an Elmhurst associate and several of the younger ones do the Elmhurst course and then change into Ja leotard for Rbs every Saturday. The staff at Elmhurst don't seem to bat an eyelid. Many jas will wear the leotard but it is what your dd feels comfortable in. Good luck

• Like 1

I'd let her wear whatever she feels best in, if she's good enough surely a leotard won't make any difference! Perhaps it may even go against you to wear a ja leotard as the judging panel will expect a higher level of technique if you've had that intensive training. I can't imagine why other mums would feel the need to get involved in what your daughter wears, that would irritate me rather a lot!

• Like 1

All I can add to this post/thread is that most schools appear to favour cotton leotards and not the new microfibre fabric that most girls wear on a regular basis. Plain, simple cut with no embellishments including mesh. Discovered this on research through multiple sites. Definitely the belt.

The other point to remember on coloured leotards (which are gorgeous) is to consider whether your DD has a tendency to perspire. Auditions are very stressful at the best of times but even more so when huge sweat patches appear on a beautiful leotard and your DD is the only one! Might show how hard they have worked but not the best for looks. ;) 

Best of luck 

Does everyone tend to go for 'skinny' straps or are capped sleeves deemed ok?  DD has a beautiful one she loves but it has small sleeves.

Look very closely at the individual schools for audition requirements. Some actually stipulate 'straps' on their dresscode.  :)

• Like 2

I'm sure I read it for RBS but then I've read so much lately my brain is going to mush!!!!! 

Emma Northmore (who is a member of this forum) is a past member of the ENB and runs audition tuition classes includes in her lessons, guidance on wearing the correct leotard for vocational school auditions. Absurd that a leotard could sway an audition panel, but in my book not worth the risk.

Would definitely still go down the route of comfort but not brand new without the tried and tested lesson to see if the pretty little thing continually rides up or down.  Best guidance to me is, what style the school favour for their full time students. With that in mind you can't go far wrong.  :)

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 3

Have a trial run to check the aqua leotard is a perfect fit when moving and feels comfortable at all times. As long as it isn't too fussy, avoid crossed over back straps and halter necks, then let her wear it if it is comfortable. You will need to pin numbers on back and front so make sure there is space esp at back.

Think my dd wore RAD class leotard, short sleeved pale blue to prelims and we had a shopping trip to choose something for finals.

• Like 1