London children's ballet Secret Garden

Caitlin_dance

It's a difficult one. Personally I (eventually)took the view that DD wouldn't audition for anything that I couldn't realistically manage in the event that she was successful.(And I have the same attitude to my non dancing children's activities.) It's different of course if you are auditioning for 2 things that will clash but you have no guarantee of selection for either. In that case it's fair enough to try both and then make the decision afterwards. But if you already have a firm commitment to one project then personally I would stick with that and forget the other options. I think going to the audition just for the experience potentially puts you in a difficult situation. If the young dancer in question absolutely adores project 2, potentially gets offered a dream part.....what do you do? Whatever you decide at that point it's going to upset someone. Or you end up getting sucked into the craziness that I bet most of us have done at some point - trying to do both even though it's really not feasible, and ending up with an exhausted child and grumpy family! (I'm currently having a firm word with myself to ensure that I don't attempt my youngest son to a bike race and county hockey training on the same day next weekend. No matter how many times I look at the schedules and the maps, it's not going to work..) Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and decide. From my experience, looking at the logistics first and closing the door early on things that really aren't practical leads to less tears than entering into a process that you aren't going to be able to complete. And I do think it's also fairer on organisers and other auditionees really. It's incredibly frustrating to have more than one great opportunity at the same time but these situations generally come into the "..accept the things I cannot change" category.

• Like 3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to the first LCB audition last Sunday (31.10). There were 3 groups of 9 yo girls. In our group A we had 35 girls and 11 were recalled to stay. I noticed that number 1 was missing, maybe dropped out last minute. The audition process was friendly, interesting and fun. My daughter loved it. I was told to expect results regarding the final audition in 10 days, it will be distributed (by mail/email), 3 days after 10,12,14 yo girls and boys auditioned this coming Sunday.

Last year only four 9 yo dancers were invited into the LCB company chosen from about the same number of applicants. This year the cast will be smaller, about a half.

We saw 3 LCB beautiful performances on stage and it's the first time my daughter had a chance to apply.

I am guessing (based on the last year's assessment schedule) that 9yo RBS JA audition in London will be on Thursday and it would not clash with the Secret Garden performances (Mon-We'd).

We went on Sunday too, my 9 year old loved it. She was in Group B and she thinks 7 were recalled. She was lucky enough to one of them, but said the standard was very high so we're not focusing too much on the next stage! The morning was a great experience, even if it ends there.

• Like 1

Hope it all went well for those auditioning today.  We were unable to go and were not allowed to audition with an older group last week.  Someone said this is about comparing ability but I have also been told that they spend time in finals matching girls to get groups of the same height.  Is this really true?

Based on last year's results it could be today! Even though I obviously think my daughter is the most gorgeous and talented dancer EVER, we are well prepared for a 'no' as the standard looked incredibly high (spotted several RBS leotards!). Best of luck to everyone waiting ????

• Like 1

I got an email from LCB this morning as I had registered my daughter for the summer school next year, so I rather cheekily asked if there was any news about the results. Apparently they are finalising lists today and tomorrow. Feeling quite philosophical at the moment as she enjoyed both auditions so much anyway so actually getting in would just be the cherry on top!

• Like 2

LCB charity doesn't just support ballet dancers and provide them with the experience of being part of a ballet company, it also supports wardrobe / costume designers often allowing semi professional artistes to promote their work, as well of course promoting the composer of the ballet, the choreographer and the ballet mistress and technicians new to the profession etc.

Sarahw Costumes are hand made and growth spurts are factored in as you can imagine children change between November and April. They do take heights in to account for certain roles just as ballet companies do, especially for pas de deux work, but I know one dancer who was caste as a child and was the same height as her stage mum by premier night.

having a child wanting to go to the audition process is fabulous in itself some children wouldn't want to do that, anything else is a bonus.

Edited by Canary