London children's ballet Secret Garden

Caitlin_dance

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd auditioned last year and did the tour with them. It was an excellent experience for her and she loved it.

It was a bit different last year as they were auditioning for full cast and tour but I understand from the website that this year it is taking a different format.

Last year they had pre-lim audition and second round on the same day with an email recall for finals. All her results were by email. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

PB1 - not sure on the one...

Sounds like there are different emails... this is mine (with no attachment contrary to what the last line states)

AUDITION SCHEDULE:

Please note, your child will be put in a group according to their age on 1 Jan 2017

Prelim Auditions (Girls age 9, 11, 13) – 30th October 2016

Prelim Auditions (Boys all ages, Girls age 10, 12, 14) – 6th November 2016

Final Auditions (Boys all ages, girls all ages) – 20th November 2016

At the Central School of Ballet, 10 Herbal Hill.

CASTING / REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: For a full list of rehearsal dates, please see the document attached.

I have seen rehearsal dates on the LCB web site but no details of the times. Does anyone have any more information?  Reading that people are pulling out I take it that dates and times are out.  Is it the audition dates, rehearsals or show week that are making people pull out?  We have other commitments on the audition dates but had planned to work around them but if rehearsal dates/times don't work that is another matter.  Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.

Edited by junedancer

I have seen rehearsal dates on the LCB web site but no details of the times. Does anyone have any more information? Reading that people are pulling out I take it that dates and times are out. Is it the audition dates or the rehearsals? We have other commitments on the audition dates but had planned to work around them but if rehearsal dates/times don't work that is another matter. Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.

I think some people are pulling out because the performance dates have changed, now during the school half term holidays at the end of May.

• Like 1

I think some people are pulling out because the performance dates have changed, now during the school half term holidays at the end of May.

Thanks for this I knew the performance was to be in May but I hadn't seen the dates.  Surely it is easier being in the school holidays.  Do you know if rehearsal times are known yet?

Edited by junedancer

The performance was originally going to be earlier in May but was recently changed to be over May Half Term (29th - 31st). This means it is likely that people with holidays booked for that week, or who are competing at All England Regionals or have Associates auditions (or have other reasons) will have withdrawn their applications.

The dates of the rehearsals have been emailed to applicants but not the times.

• Like 1

Hello Junedancer and welcome to the Forum!

Thanks Janet. I have been in the wings since the summer as my DD was starting to get serious about her ballet and as she is now wanting to audition I thought I should join you all as I work through what it means to enter the world of dance.

• Like 2

The performance was originally going to be earlier in May but was recently changed to be over May Half Term (29th - 31st). This means it is likely that people with holidays booked for that week, or who are competing at All England Regionals or have Associates auditions (or have other reasons) will have withdrawn their applications.

The dates of the rehearsals have been emailed to applicants but not the times.

Thanks for this.  I have seen the rehearsal dates and being a Sunday it looks like they might clash with number of the associates programmes as well.

• Like 1

We have had the email with the final details, dd is in Group A.  Unfortunately this doesn't look good for us as her friend is sleeping over the night before which has been arranged for ages and the parents have plans so don't want to mess them around.

Does anyone know if LCB would move dd to another group of the same age?  I think there are 3 groups for each age group...?  So annoying how little notice they give you.

Would be interesting to know how many are auditioning this year as I know many cannot make it/ have other commitments when the rehearsals are. Despite the fact they are only casting half the amount of students maybe all the "more talented children" (sorry I didn't know what other phrase to put) are not able to audition so will free up some places??

• Like 1

I wondered if anyone would make a comment that the more talented children would now pull out leaving a smaller pool of more average dancers for LCB to chose from.

I hope it's not the case that these "more talented" children then don't go on to make All Englands finals or get a place on the JA programme as what a shame for them, they won't be doing anything at all.

At least a few of the average children auditioning for LCB will I'm sure, have a fabulous experience.

You could of course still audition for LCB and if lucky enough to gain a place still turn it down? Don't they operate a reserve place system like NYB? I don't know. I would have thought the audition itself excellent practice for a JA audition come May next year even though the two schemes are looking for vastly different things and success in one does not guarantee success in the other.

After all, arent the All England Finals/JA auditions quite a long time away? I guess there are a lot of very confident parents out there!!

I prefer to think that it may be more the case of you can't do everything.

The children who are more committed to the festival circuit will decline an audition in favour of competitions.

The children with hopes of a place on the JA scheme will decline in favour of training.

The children who are performers and love youth ballets will audition for LCB.

good luck to everyone in your chosen route but please don't make any assumptions.

• Like 3

In our case PV, both of our DDs have already qualified for Group dances as well as solos for AE regionals. We absolutely would never presume to get further than the audition for LCB, however if either of them were lucky enough to do so, we would have to turn it down due to pre-existing commitments to our local school and other children. In fact, when the LCB dates were in early May, we had actually turned down the chance to be given new Festival dances as our school had, fairly, said these opportunities would be given to those dancers that could commit to Festivals taking place during dates historically used for LCB rehearsals. So now my dds are missing out on the opportunity to audition for LCB, so they don't let down their friends and school, and also missing out on Festival opportunities. I guess we all have to make the choices that are right at the time. Just because there might be a smaller number of auditionees for LCB does not necessarily mean they will not be talented ????

Also, last year we had a holiday booked for a week when LCB rehearsals were scheduled. Our dance teacher was firm that our DDs should not audition just for the experience only, knowing that we couldn't take it any further if successful.

Absolutely, I know it was very disappointing for many (including us) when the date changed was changed but that has opened up opportunities for some too. It was certainly very clear from the communications we received that only those who could commit to rehearsal and performance dates should audition, even though the numbers clearly mean that many that audition will not be successful.