Press Release: Northern Ballet to hold three World Premières in 2017

Northern Ballet to hold three World Premières in 2017

Northern Ballet is to create a record three new full-length ballets for 2017. Following the previously announced World Première of Casanova in March 2017, Northern Ballet is also to adapt John Boyne’s bestselling novel The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, followed by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale The Little Mermaid. Northern Ballet will perform at a combined total of 22 venues across the UK with these new ballets.

Telling the story of an unlikely friendship blossoming through the disturbing events of World War II, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas will be choreographed and directed by Northern Ballet’s Artistic Associate Daniel de Andrade who most recently created full-length ballet Nijinsky – God of the Dance for Slovak National Theatre as well as shorter works for Northern Ballet including Fatal Kiss and children’s ballet Elves & the Shoemaker. The ballet will première at Cast in Doncaster from 25 – 27 May 2017 before touring to Wolverhampton, Leicester, Richmond, Aylesbury, Stoke, Bromley, Leeds and Hull (part of the city’s UK City of Culture celebrations) until October 2017. It will feature an original score by Oscar-nominated composer Gary Yershon, sets and costumes designed by Mark Bailey, lighting by Tim Mitchell and Dramatic Coach Patricia Doyle also joins the creative team.

Daniel de Andrade said: I am absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to create my first full-length ballet for Northern Ballet. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a fascinating and eloquent story shining the spotlight on atrocious historical events from a perspective of complete naivetyAlthough the tale of Bruno and Shmuel is heart-breaking, their friendship throughout the story shows the purity of the human spirit in the face of absolute adversity.’

Based on the famous fairytale by Hans Christian Andersen, The Little Mermaid tells the story of a young mermaid who is willing to give up everything she knows in a search for love and the desire to gain a human soul. The Little Mermaid will be choreographed by Northern Ballet’s Artistic Director David Nixon OBE whose most recent creations for the Company include CinderellaThe Great Gatsby and Beauty & the Beast. This new production will première in Southampton at Mayflower Theatre from 21 – 23 September 2017 before touring to Norwich, Newcastle, Nottingham, Canterbury, Woking, Sheffield and Leeds until December 2017. Details of the creative team are to be announced.

David Nixon OBE, Artistic Director at Northern Ballet, said: ‘2017 will be an exemplary example of Northern Ballet’s commitment to continuing to create new work and contributing to the dynamic UK dance sceneWith an unprecedented three new full-length ballets in one yearI am delighted that we will be presenting audiences with such a diverse range of new productions. As a company of talented dance actors Northern Ballet is in a privileged position to be able to adapt so many different works and continue to challenge the idea of what stories can be told through dance.

The Little Mermaid is an enchanting story and the fantastical underwater world of the mermaids evokes such beautiful imagery that it will be an excellent addition to our repertoire. So many people have grown up with an awareness of this classic tale and so I am looking forward to introducing audiences to the world beyond the waves.’

For booking information and on sale dates for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Little Mermaid see northernballet.com/whats-on

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas – Production Credits

Based upon The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

By special arrangement with Miramax

Choreography, Direction & Scenario Daniel de Andrade

Dramatic Coach Patricia Doyle

Music Gary Yershon

Set & Costume Design Mark Bailey

Lighting Design Tim Mitchell

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas – Tour Dates

Doncaster Cast (World Première)

25 – 27 May 2017

Box Office 01302 303 959

castindoncaster.com

On general sale 26 September 2016

Wolverhampton Grand Theatre

30 – 31 May 2017

Box Office 01902 429 212

grandtheatre.co.uk

On sale soon**

Leicester Curve

2 – 3 June 2017

Box Office 0116 242 3595

curveonline.co.uk

Richmond Theatre

6 – 7 June 2017

Box Office 0844 871 7651*

atgtickets.com/richmond

Aylesbury Waterside Theatre

9 – 10 June 2017

Box Office 0844 871 7607*

atgtickets.com/aylesbury

Stoke Regent Theatre

13 – 14 June 2017

Box Office 0844 871 7649*

atgtickets.com/stoke

Bromley Churchill Theatre

16 – 17 June 2017

Box Office 020 3285 6000

churchilltheatre.co.uk

On general sale 30 September 2016

Leeds West Yorkshire Playhouse

September 2017 (Dates TBC)

Box Office 0113 213 7700

wyp.org.uk

On sale soon**

Hull New Theatre

October 2017 (Dates TBC)

Box Office 01482 300 306

hcandl.co.uk/hullnewtheatre

On sale soon**

The Little Mermaid – Production Credits

Story Hans Christian Andersen

Choreography & Direction David Nixon OBE

Further production credits to be announced.

The Little Mermaid – Tour Dates

Southampton Mayflower Theatre (World Première)

21 – 23 September 2017

Box Office 02380 711811

mayflower.org.uk

On general sale 30 November 2016

Norwich Theatre Royal

26 – 30 September 2017

Box Office 01603 630 000

Theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk

On sale soon**

Newcastle Theatre Royal

31 October – 4 November 2017

Box Office 08448 11 21 21*

theatreroyal.co.uk

On sale soon**

Nottingham Theatre Royal

7 – 11 November 2017

Box Office 0115 989 5555

trch.co.uk

On sale soon**

Canterbury Marlowe Theatre

14 – 18 November 2017

Box Office 01227 787787

marlowetheatre.com

On sale soon**

Woking New Victoria Theatre

21 – 25 November 2017

Box Office 0844 871 7645*

atgtickets.com/woking

On sale soon**

Sheffield Lyceum Theatre

28 November – 2 December 2017

Box Office 0114 249 6000

sheffieldtheatres.co.uk

On sale soon**

Leeds Grand Theatre

5 – 17 December 2017

Box Office 0844 848 2700*

leedsgrandtheatre.com

On sale soon**

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your phone company’s charge.

**For on sale dates see northernballet.com/pyjamas and northernballet.com/mermaid for updates.

Northern Ballet

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson.

Voted Best Company at the Taglioni European Ballet Awards, winners of the 2016 South Bank Sky Arts Award for dance, and nominated for Outstanding Company at the 2015 National Dance Awards, Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s five large ballet companies. Based in Leeds it performs throughout the UK as well as overseas. Northern Ballet’s productions mix classical dance and theatre, embracing popular culture and taking inspiration from literature, opera, or giving a unique interpretation of popular classical ballets.

Northern Ballet is the busiest touring ballet company in the UK and is typically on the road for around 32 weeks of the year. The Company of 44 dancers tours a combination of full-length new work and established repertoire to cities throughout the UK. Northern Ballet also tours widely with its specially created ballets for children, all of which have beenadapted for TV by CBeebies, and also performs mixed programmes showcasing the versatility of its dancers.

• Like 1

This is exciting news from Northern Ballet but I had been hoping that Jane Eyre would be reappearing in the schedules too.

It will be very interesting to see how Boy in the Striped Pyjamas will translate into a ballet.  I found it a rather harrowing story, will the title put people off do you think?

It will be very interesting to see how Boy in the Striped Pyjamas will translate into a ballet.  I found it a rather harrowing story, will the title put people off do you think?

I didn't see it, but do you think that this idea came from the success of 1984 as a ballet last season? I read that the dystopian and scary theme actually gave an exciting edge and energy to the dance. So I would imagine people would be warmer to the idea, than if 1984 would not have been previously.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was out yesterday so missed this but was tossing up the idea of seeing it in Southampton or Leeds and have decided to go for Leeds in December so can combine with some classes at Northern Ballet again just in time for a 70 th birthday treat!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Difficult for me to get to venues on the dates specified - Northern Ballet usually bring their productions into Sadlers Wells so I guess me and mine will have to hold out till then and hope The Little Mermaid will also find its way there? If so I assume it won't be till the end of their tour season? 

1 hour ago, SwissBalletFan said:

I sincerely hope that Northern Ballet are aware of your contribution to 'getting the message out' etc Janet, I wouldhope you get some kind of special treatment :) 

I'm just a fan and enthusiastic poster!  Thanks for your kind thought SBF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...