People who just don't understand!

taxi4ballet

I think it varies from school to school but the legal minimum is 5, including Maths and English.

DD is currently in yr 11 and juggling, I have absolutely no idea how she does but she does. She took her Music GCSE in yr 9 and was allowed to leave that column free when it came to selecting her GCSEs, although some staff weren't too happy and only forgave her because she got an A* ! At the end of yr 10 we fought very hard and eventually got permission for her to give up RPE. We are lucky she has very understanding head of pastoral care. She is doing English Lang, English Lit, Maths, Further Maths, Biology,Chemistry,Physics,History,Mandarin and Dance. Most days she has a study period and gets as much as possible done then. She is currently doing 14 hrs a week of dance outside school plus another 3.5hrs in school, and EYB rehearsals ( they finish next weekend) There isn't one day during the week when she doesn't dance.

However I do think it is up to the individual. As I said she is incredible good at juggling everything.

• Like 2

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With 'progress 8' being a new league table measure, I suspect doing fewer than 8 will become rarer, but ensuring the 5 EBacc subjects may also become less common, so more children may drop languages or not do History / Geography. My DC's school has historically had slightly lower EBAcc rates than would be expected, because RE and Design have been very well taught so many pupils did RE instead of History / Geography or did 2x Design subjects and dropped either a language or a humanity.

• Like 1

My son goes to an academically selective independent school that pride themselves on getting children to RG universities.

They do 9 GCSEs in year 11, plus an ICT certificate in year 10. Some children can opt to do an extra after school GCSE in either drama or computer studies & occasionally you get a child genius like dds friend who just took Greek in year 9 (for fun)

But basically they say 9/10 is ample

Maths, two English, Double Science, a language, a humanity (history, geography, Latin or RS)

Then they can choose two others to include triple science if they want to.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

Most do 10 at our school. Maths,englishx2 and 3 sciences are compulsory.Then there are 4 options. A few extras are offered as extra curricular activities (my son is doing astronomy as an after school thing) but obviously those are voluntary. I can't really see any benefit to more than 10 subjects to be honest as good grades in that number seem to be enough to get students into pretty much anything they want afterwards.

• Like 1

my (non)DS is doing 9 - math, English X2,  double science (covers physics/biology/chemistry but equals 2 GCSEs), geography, French, music and DT - this will give him the 'E bacc'. School say that they don't NEED any more to go to choose A levels and they would rather they got good results with 9, than 'fair' results with more. Some children are doing an extra out of school such as Latin, or different languages.

• Like 1

Non-DS is doing the EBacc.

It is possible - though not likely - that DD might not. She is a very skilled artist, so may well do Art + at least 1, possibly 2 Design subjects (the school has a long history of really excellent Design work, and they win lots of scholarships, awards etc). I hope that she balances that with a language and History or Geography, but she has talemnts across the curriculum so it may well end up being very hard to choose. DS was easier - once we'd removed all the things he is totally unskilled at, he only ended up with 1 real 'option'!

• Like 2

All schools appear to vary after reading the many threads on this post. 

My DD is in yr10. 

They had option choices at the end of yr 8 starting their GCSE's in yr 9. First taken in the summer. Media Studies.

Options incl one compulsory MFL, French, Spanish or German.

Further options decided on were Geography, History and Drama. These run along side the usual core subjects of English Lit and Lang, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, ICT, RS, Maths, 

Don't think I've missed any out. 

Just remember nearly all Vocational schools still require 5 GCSE A* to C Grade but the Grading system is changing. Anyone in the current Yr10 will be the guinea pigs.

Some will be awarded 9 (rare) then 8, 7, 6 etc  No like to like comparison in what is awarded at present. Not sure if Vocational schools are up to speed with the new grading system. 

Reluctant for my DD to drop a subject to relieve any avoidable stress but with 13 hours min in the studio per week without any usual extras for exams, festivals and shows I'm not sure that this level be able to be maintained.  

Good Luck to all the other parents out there trying to find the right balance to allow their child to succeed. It appears to be a constant battle with the schools. 

• Like 1

My year 10 dd is doing 10 GCSEs. She had to do Double Science, double English, Maths and RS, and a language (Spanish). Then she had 3 free choices. She originally chose Music, Theatre Studies and Geography (because we were trying to follow school’s advice to include a humanity). However, when she got accepted onto the CAT programme and we realised she’d be doing 17 hours dancing a week we switched Geography to Art (no homework!). She’s very happy and is managing to balance everything nicely. I think you have to consider how well your particular dc will cope with all of the demands on them when choosing. A balance is great, but for us we felt Geography/History would have been an avoidable burden when it came to homework and revision. 

• Like 3

Since some people have mentioned dropping languages as an option, could I just mention, with the longer term in view, that a recent CBI report indicates that the UK education system isn't producing enough people with foreign language skills to meet the demand from business, which might be one reason why so many people from elsewhere in Europe are being employed here. Not to mention what I think was a £48 bn cost to the economy due to our general lack of language skills.

Plus, if children are seriously committed to becoming professional dancers, they may well end up having to work abroad. If so, having learned a language at school will be of benefit: whether or not they use it directly, success in learning one language makes it psychologically easier for you to tackle another should you need to.

• Like 5

My year 10 dd is doing 10 GCSEs. She had to do Double Science, double English, Maths and RS, and a language (Spanish). Then she had 3 free choices. She originally chose Music, Theatre Studies and Geography (because we were trying to follow school’s advice to include a humanity). However, when she got accepted onto the CAT programme and we realised she’d be doing 17 hours dancing a week we switched Geography to Art (no homework!). She’s very happy and is managing to balance everything nicely. I think you have to consider how well your particular dc will cope with all of the demands on them when choosing. A balance is great, but for us we felt Geography/History would have been an avoidable burden when it came to homework and revision. 

Hi, History and Geography weren't immediate top choices coupled with RS, my DD has certainly ticked all the humanity boxes. It was how the option choices were laid out within each column. She made a decision not to continue with ICT only to discover than even though it's an option they still all sit at least one ICT paper rather than 2! 

Art, no homework?. I'm curious as at my DD's school it is well known how much own time has to be allocated to Art. I know of many dance focused students who are very gifted Artistes but have had to drop the subject due to the demands into their studio time. Unlike a humanity subject that can be completed on the floor in a dressing room (not ideal) Art isn't quite so flexible.

The other challenge is the Geography field trip, clashed with possible SS dates for next summer. Not a happy household.   ;)

• Like 1

No homework in Art? Blimey - my dd had at least 3-4 hours a week when she did hers.

When she was choosing her options she wanted to do drama, but we had a long chat with the drama teacher at the open evening, and they said there would be a lot of out-of-hours stuff involved with that subject. Things like rehearsals, school performances, visits to the theatre etc, so she didn't choose it in the end as there would have been inevitable clashes with her dance training.

She only did double science as well, the teacher said they'd got her on the list to do triple, but we explained that she had a lot on, so they were more than happy for her to just do the two.

• Like 4

Alison,

DD has studied one language (French) all the way through primary and for the first 3 years of secondary, and a second language for 2 years. I do know that if she does not do a language GCSE that is absolutely not ideal. I would much prefer her to do at least one. However, since about the only options that she would rule out from the selection that the school provides are Drama, Childcare and Computing - leaving her still with multiple options in each block, all of which she has high ability in [polymath child that she is] - it may still come about.

Art is the one we are worried about in terms of time, because the studios are open after school (coinciding with dance) and it is expected that students will do a LOT of work outside lesson time, but also the only one that is 'fixed' as a definite option for DD.

• Like 2

I too have heard that art is one of the most time intensive GCSE's!

I agree that most children should study a language however for some children who are for example dyslexic languages can be very difficult which is why schools like my sons for example do allow dyslexic children to drop languages.

Also currently for the ebacc only history & geography count as a humanity. More enlightened schools realise that subjects such as RS are just as valid.

I am against however schools that insist everyone does at least a half GCSE in RS or PE etc as I feel that limits what further options there are.

I took advice on science for dd from my sons form tutor who is also head of chemistry. Some local schools make all top set children do triple science which I think is wrong. The science teacher at ds's school said their students have a free choice & they have had very good a level results from GCSE double scientists.

Ultimately dd chose to do triple but she could have chosen double if she had wanted to & added drama in.

She also chose RS as a GCSE option but I know I could never send my son to a school where even the half GCSE was compulsory. It would be a nightmare!

• Like 3

No homework in Art? Blimey - my dd had at least 3-4 hours a week when she did hers.

When she was choosing her options she wanted to do drama, but we had a long chat with the drama teacher at the open evening, and they said there would be a lot of out-of-hours stuff involved with that subject. Things like rehearsals, school performances, visits to the theatre etc, so she didn't choose it in the end as there would have been inevitable clashes with her dance training.

She only did double science as well, the teacher said they'd got her on the list to do triple, but we explained that she had a lot on, so they were more than happy for her to just do the two.

Agree totally on the subject of Art.  Fortunately most theatre trips are very local, however one will require a 3 day trip to London and a Lion King workshop then performance so it will eat into studio time but on this occasion a small price to pay. Except for me as it will be costing heaps!  Bless 'er

Edited by balletbean

Ballettaxi:  Somewhat off-thread, but may I just say how delighted I am to see that Scottish schools still have a '6th Year.'  The 'Year 8 etc' terminology down south still defeats me.

I also like the "6th form". But then still can't get my head around the year 9, 10, 11 in schools but then bounces to "6th form". Never referred to as yrs 12 & 13! 

Fickle life we lead. Or just our age creeping up on us. He He  

• Like 1

Compulsory at DDs school were 2 x English (syllabus for lang and lit overlap so its not 2 x amount of work), maths, double or triple science (depending on set/ability), a language plus 3 options. You could opt for a 2nd language instead of core ICT.

Choice of subject definitely has an impact on amount of time needed out of school. Art and design subjects all seemed to require most hours. Drama for my DDs did not - they understood about their dance activities and neither of them ever had any clashes.

Would like to add that , I know that the grading system is changing but I thought the current year 11s were the first year group to take the new GCSEs with the number grades, not the current year 10s as someone else mentioned?

On the subject of Art, dd has always chosen to spend quite a bit of what free time she has (including lunch times) drawing and painting, so have not noticed any homework over and above what she would have been doing even if she’d not chosen it as a GCSE. Also, she gets quite fraught during revision and exam time, so the fact that there is no revision for Art is really good for us! 

Would like to add that , I know that the grading system is changing but I thought the current year 11s were the first year group to take the new GCSEs with the number grades, not the current year 10s as someone else mentioned?

The current year 11s are doing the new numbered GCSEs for Maths and English, everything else is still A-G. Year 10 will be all numbers.

I'd like to second Alison's comment above where she mentioned the importance of studying languages at GCSE level.

Studying a language does give the student far more than just another GCSE to write on their CV. At our local schools, students who study a language will usually visit the country and stay with a family on at least one occasion prior to taking the exam. The first visit is usually in Yr 8 and, I believe, is an excellent way for them to start to become more independent and gain confidence travelling with their school friends, but without their family. There are huge benefits to be gained by this type of activity - making new friends, learning how families in close countries have very different lifestyles to our own, communicating with the family, etc. They also gain confidence in talking in public while visiting local markets, shops, etc.

I know that our DD would love to be able to audition for a company in Germany, France, anywhere where they don't speak English! She has the confidence to travel and talk in the languages she has studied and would be prepared to 'have a go' in other languages too.

Also, please do consider studying the 3 separate science subjects. None of us know where we will end up in the future and studying separate science subjects, makes success at A'Level more certain. If injury or any other reason means a career as a dancer is not possible, taking A'Levels and then carrying on training as, say, a physiotherapist or a science teacher, would be possible. You would have far more options available to you.

Our non dancing daughter has just started a physiotherapy degree and many of her colleagues who are starting the course with her are well into their mid or late 20s. I imagine many of them did not think they would be studying this type of course when they chose their GCSEs many years ago, but are probably grateful they studied the subjects they did.

• Like 3

Also, please do consider studying the 3 separate science subjects. None of us know where we will end up in the future and studying separate science subjects, makes success at A'Level more certain. If injury or any other reason means a career as a dancer is not possible, taking A'Levels and then carrying on training as, say, a physiotherapist or a science teacher, would be possible. You would have far more options available to you.

You do still study all 3 science subjects when you take double science. (We misunderstood this, and thought that you chose 2 of the 3 subjects and took exams in those, but that wasn't the case).

• Like 2

My dd is interested in Physiotherapy & as I said earlier in the thread the science department at my son's selective school told us that only going double science would not preclude her from studying sciences at A level.

You just do extra modules if you study triple rather than double. At both their schools triple takes up an extra option block.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

I realise that all 3 sciences subjects are studied in double science, but I believe that they are studied in more detail if they are studied as 3 separate subjects.

I know that many students find studying A'Level science subjects very difficult (particularly chemistry) even after achieving high grades at GCSE. Dropping the subject either early in the first year, or after receiving AS results, is not uncommon.  Therefore I presume the chances of successfully completing A'Levels would be enhanced by studying 3 separate sciences.

I am not an expert and am happy to be corrected!

I realise that all 3 sciences subjects are studied in double science, but I believe that they are studied in more detail if they are studied as 3 separate subjects.

I know that many students find studying A'Level science subjects very difficult (particularly chemistry) even after achieving high grades at GCSE. Dropping the subject either early in the first year, or after receiving AS results, is not uncommon.  Therefore I presume the chances of successfully completing A'Levels would be enhanced by studying 3 separate sciences.

I am not an expert and am happy to be corrected!

Not according to the head of chemistry at my son's school.

He told me that some of their highest a level chemistry grades last year came from GCSE double scientists.

Much of the content in the extra modules studied in triple does not relate directly to the AS and A2 syllabi. Arguably double is as good as triple as preparation for A level. 

At dd’s school they achieved 96% at grades A*-B for A level Physics and 88% at grades A*-B for A level Chemistry, and they don’t offer triple at GCSE so they were all from the double award course.

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 2

Anecdotally - my DC's school only offers double (to maximise the range of choices available), a school with a similar catchment and similar Ofsted etc a town or two over offers triple. Their A-level science results are pretty much identical.

As an ex-scientist, i was deeply worried about the lack of triple, and rang my old Oxbridge college. Their science students have a mixture of double and triple. Their advice was that double from a school that only does double is fine - the teachers teaching A-level start from the 'double' starting point and teach from there, and those students go on to do as well as students who have taken triple in schools who offer triple, whose A-level teachers start from the 'triple' starting point. Students who do double where triple is offered - especially if the large majority of A-level scientists have done triple - are marginally less successful, because they have to work hard to bridge the gap at the beginning of Year 12, but if the school is used to having those students in their A-level classes, they go on to do fine.

• Like 3

As far as I can recollect (and this relates to ICGSEs), the extra modules seemed to be the less 'meaty' ones on subjects such as climate change and Space. My children's selective school also tells parents that pupils who take the Dual Award can go on to study science A Levels, which I find surprising tbh as the 'stronger scientists' are normally expected to take three separate sciences at IGCSE. However, the emphasis at the school is very much on getting high grades rather than the number of subjects and nobody takes more than 11 unless s/he does a 'twilight' subject which is relatively rare (often they are bi-lingual pupils who are doing a GCSE in their mother tongue and this gives them another subject option during the normal school day).

I know I'm old and probably very out of date but everyone at my school did double science and I have a postgraduate science degree and there were plenty of people who went on to study medicine, veterinary science etc. I found the step up from a level to degree far bigger than from gcse to a level. I also have 2 foreign languages at gcse which I have virtually never used! Although I accept they would give you a head start gcse isn't that great for giving you conversational skills, I imagine it would be very much easier to pick these up by actually living in the country. Ideally I think to take at least one is a good idea but if it doesn't work with other options its not the end of the world. as already pointed out languages are also extremely difficult for the 10% who are dyslexic and there's nonpoint taking something that you can't pass!

• Like 2

Non dd did triple science with A* results. She then changed school for A levels and continued with 2 of the sciences.She felt the change from triple to A level was huge but this was  heightened by the fact that the children who had taken GCSE's at the new school had done IGCSE science and so teaching was based on this premise. Triple science had been compulsory for these children and the IGCSE course does cover a few more topics and some in further depth so she felt she spent the first 6 months on catch up!

I would have thought that uni's would prefer triple science to double for science degrees if given a choice but having said that non dd is now studying for a science degree and some on the course do only have double.

• Like 1