Application and Audition process

balletbean

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I jump on this request and ask for any advice for Rambert and Bird too please if at all possible.  (Hope you don't mind balletbean - but it's just all too confusing and hurts my head everytime I sit down with DD to look at this.)

I can share some info on Ballet West as I spoke to them earlier this week.  They are currently updating their Application form for 2017 entry and this will be available on the Website shortly - I have been promised that I'll receive an e-mail when this is available, so I'll provide an update here at that time. :)

• Like 2

Not specific to any particular institution but my top tips would be :

Read the application forms very carefully as they all ask for slightly different things, different photos etc.

Don't leave anything to the last minute.

Allow considerably more travel time than you think you need - much better to be way too early than to be dashing in at the last minute if a train is late etc.

Try to avoid auditioning for your "favourite" school first. It can take a couple of auditions to "warm up" and I think it eases the pressure a bit if you can start off with a school that your DC is less keen on.

Keep an open mind though - least preferred option on paper may turn out to be number one choice once seen in reality.

Good luck with everything.

• Like 8

Keep an open mind - your "favourite" may be less appealing if the building is falling to bits, you go to a summer school and don't enjoy it, you don't like the accommodation/academics/syllabus.And you might just really take to somewhere completely unexpected.  

Similarly, don't stake everything (you are talking a lot of money and your child's next 3 years)  on one visit - if you can visit somewhere twice so much the better.  

• Like 4

Good advice Pups_mum.

We have already started our prep by taking ALL last years photograph requirements from every school DD is interested in auditioning for and have these now all taken and saved off in a newly created folder on my laptop for this mammoth task.

I did allow my OCD to kick in a little bit and have a sub directory for each school, with a downloaded copy of last years application form - completed(!) - in the hope that as soon as the 2017 forms are available we can do a 'quality check' to ensure we've answered everything correctly and then simply copy and paste.  I've saved the photographs into each of these directories too, with the naming convention of 'DD's name_2017 <School Name> Application_pose name' - so that in the excitement of submitting we don't send the wrong photograph to the wrong school.

We also have a directory containing 'general' info i.e. DD's personal statement, Dance Teacher References, Academic References, Volunteer statements etc. 

Now that I've written this down, I am actually quite worried about my sanity! :wacko:

• Like 8

Another thing would be to look very carefully at the funding arrangements for each course, and whether they are feasible based on your own financial circumstances; and any additional charges such as healthcare, uniform, accommodation costs etc.

Also, it pays to add another school that you haven't previously really considered to the list on the off-chance, as it just might turn out to be 'the one'. Your dc might fall in love with the place and they think your dc is exactly what they are looking for. All the schools/colleges have slightly different requirements and are looking for different attributes, so cast your net as wide as possible - you never know :)

It also helps to spread the auditions out if you can, with some before Christmas and some after - and explain to your dc's academic school just what is going on and how important this is. You want them on your side, and you will need their co-operation when asking for time off for auditions etc.

• Like 4

Everything is so exciting on audition day, try not to make any lasting judgements until you have had a couple of days to think it over.  It is almost like "auction fever" where people keep bidding beyond their price or for items they don't really want.  We found that for a brief while after each audition, that place became the favourite, and it was only put into context mentally a few days later as sanity returned!

• Like 2

I echo the advice to talk to your DDs current school. I wrote and explained my DDs ambitions. It was so much easier to have one point of contact (her head of year) to give permission for time off , write references and to ensure that clashes with exams were avoided. GCSE exams might be at the end of the year but we found that the science practicals and language oral components were earlier and giving the school all her audition dates as we got them meant that they were able to put DD and her group on days that did not clash. A few years ago so with new GCSEs I realise this might not apply, but best to check.

I also agree with the idea of going with an open mind. My DD had a clear favourite before her auditions but her favourite I think ended up being 5th out of 6 six schools she auditioned at in the end. I think you also have to assess each school as to if it is a good fit for your DC - would your DC be happy to go there if they got an offer. There was one school by DD said she would not want to go to, even if they offered her a place. So yes cast your net wide, keep an open mind and take the whole package into consideration - course, finances, accommodation and general feel of the place (gut instinct)

• Like 7

Ballet taxi jump in, no problem at all  All in this together. 

"Can I jump on this request and ask for any advice for Rambert and Bird too please if at all possible.  (Hope you don't mind balletbean - but it's just all too confusing and hurts my head everytime I sit down with DD to look at this.)"

From experience, attendance at the summer school preceding application can go along way for a successful audition.  A student at my daughters dance school recently attended Birds summer school, was awarded a scholarship for next years summer school. He will be 16 this Nov and will have auditioned for a full time place before the summer school  :).   Another well known soap star from the same school "walked" their audition (by all accounts) by attending the summer school a few years back now. Not saying it's a guarantee but evidence appears to prove it certainly can't do any harm. Gets the student seen and for the student to give a more relaxed performance at the audition. School familiarity for one.  :rolleyes:    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,  I can be of assistance with many of these questions which you are asking! I have either taught in, had students attend, or know the teachers in each school. Please see the audition workshop thread and if you can attend I very am happy for parents to pop in at the end and ask these in person - a useful Q&A I think! ? 

• Like 2

Hi Ladies,  I can be of assistance with many of these questions which you are asking! I have either taught in, had students attend, or know the teachers in each school. Please see the audition workshop thread and if you can attend I very am happy for parents to pop in at the end and ask these in person - a useful Q&A I think! ? 

I've sent you an email Emma.  :)

CDET organises conferences where various schools and colleges come together with workshops for students, Q & A sessions and a chance for parents to meet with and ask questions also.  Previous ones have been held at Elmhurst and Hammond. The next one is at Urdang. It might be useful for some

http://www.cdet.org.uk/advocacy/dance-musical-theatre-careers-conference-2016

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A simple question, as a newbie to all this. 

Application PHOTOS:-  Are they looking for professional photographic studio quality or clear photos taken by a parent in a dance studio setting?

I have the info on the positions and clothing but nothing else. I don't want to get it all wrong and lessen any chances because of a simple error

Any advice gratefully received. 

Thank you    :)

My answer would be clear photos but taken by a parent in a dance school setting is absolutely fine.

For my DD, I had a list of all the positions needed and a dance teacher assisted. She told my DD what to do and I took the photo and then she looked in the view window and approved or not each photo for clarity and if it showed DD at her best.

• Like 1

Application PHOTOS:-  Are they looking for professional photographic studio quality or clear photos taken by a parent in a dance studio setting?

I have the info on the positions and clothing but nothing else. I don't want to get it all wrong and lessen any chances because of a simple error

I hate the photos (see old thread on the dreaded developpe)! I spend ages and ages and ages and take a zillion photos, and then none of them look quite right. I think I’m not quick enough to capture ‘the perfect moment’. I’m going to experiment with that camera feature that takes lots in quick succession and then you pick out the best one. 

• Like 2

I hate the photos (see old thread on the dreaded developpe)! I spend ages and ages and ages and take a zillion photos, and then none of them look quite right. I think I’m not quick enough to capture ‘the perfect moment’. I’m going to experiment with that camera feature that takes lots in quick succession and then you pick out the best one. 

Thank you, just wasn't too sure. Thinking I was going to be assessed for A level photography!!! 

Already had the entire wardrobe of leotards to try on and decide. In principal it sounds so simple. But not so....................  teenagers  Bless 'em  :huh:

• Like 1

Taken by a parent in the dance studio under the guidance of the dance teacher re positioning would be best I think. Professional photographers in their studio are unlikely to have the experience of ballet necessary to take the right sort of shots and show the student in the best poses possible.

• Like 1