Elmhurst auditions Sept 2017 entry

Happymum

Hmm yea, it did seem a bit like they waited till they had the kids on their own and away from parents. i wondered why they needed to know this? was it information taken into account when making decisions?

Anyhow, I would have liked to know in advance they were asking this so thought I would share it on here for any parents whose children are at finals next week, good luck all!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could have just been the physio making idle chit chat whilst doing what they need to do, I guess, trying to find common ground, maybe?

The parent/candidate discussion is, I believe a brief 'interview' ( more of a chat ) with one of the academic staff/SLT parents and child although, in our experience the questions were directed more at the child. Nothing to taxing, questions such as 'what are your favourite subjects?' 'Any other hobbies' that sort of thing,

My DS is so upset :-( always so joyful, happy to dance, full of sparkle and even too confident to my liking - now all the sparkle gone! Suddenly he can't do any exercise, he finds several mistakes in every single thing he does and cries as he practises! Heartbreaking to watch! Whatever I say to make him feel better doesn't work. And finals are in less then 4 days. I feel like crying myself ????

My DS is so upset :-( always so joyful, happy to dance, full of sparkle and even too confident to my liking - now all the sparkle gone! Suddenly he can't do any exercise, he finds several mistakes in every single thing he does and cries as he practises! Heartbreaking to watch! Whatever I say to make him feel better doesn't work. And finals are in less then 4 days. I feel like crying myself ????

Awww please remind him they are not looking for perfection , but a passion and joy in his dancing and courage / potential for the future !

Ah bless him! He's obviously putting too much pressure on himself. Maybe no more practice and do something fun and light in the next few days after school if time allows. It's a tough time for them when they want it so much especially as I remember you saying Elmhurst is his first choice and with his sister there. Hope he gets plenty of rest between now and the finals.

Thank you Billyelliott and Harwel.

I do say that they are looking for potential not for perfection but he stopped believing that after Tring audition. Just one more gymnastic and ballet lesson tomorrow and then rest till Thursday (knowing him there will be stretching and feet exercises). I wish it's all over now. And to think that I expected it to be easier this time as I went through it once already. And I hate it when people say that it's a boy so it will be easy for him to get a place! ????

• Like 1

I do say that they are looking for potential not for perfection but he stopped believing that after Tring audition. Just one more gymnastic and ballet lesson tomorrow and then rest till Thursday (knowing him there will be stretching and feet exercises). I wish it's all over now. And to think that I expected it to be easier this time as I went through it once already. And I hate it when people say that it's a boy so it will be easy for him to get a place! ????

I know what you mean about that "he's a boy so it will be easy "thing !

It certainly isn't easy at all. There are now so many more hopeful male dancers out there compared with a few years ago ! Maybe still not as many boys as girls but the competition is very stiff and there are far fewer places then there are children that want /need them !

Thinking of you and your DS

No, it's not easier if you are a boy. You have still got to be good enough. In terms of numbers going for the few places available the odds are better but it's certainly not easier. If anything, knowing that the odds are slightly better makes it worse if one doesn't get a place.

Good luck Happymum ds. Please tell him that I know plenty of male dancers who for one reason or another didn't go into full time training at a young age but who ultimately became more successful than those who did.

I do say that they are looking for potential not for perfection but he stopped believing that after Tring audition. Just one more gymnastic and ballet lesson tomorrow and then rest till Thursday (knowing him there will be stretching and feet exercises). I wish it's all over now. And to think that I expected it to be easier this time as I went through it once already. And I hate it when people say that it's a boy so it will be easy for him to get a place!

Keep going Happymum I'm sure whatever happens he will get something.  We wanted Tring but DD went to Hammond and it was an amazing school, great teachers and lovely people.  Two years later DD is now at her dream school, happy memories of Hammond but now closer to home.  We have many many ups and downs but those little highs are so much better when you have to fight for them.

Hi Happymum

My dd suffers from bouts of extreme anxiety and I cannot sort her out , so no "pearls of wisdom" from here .

Your ds obviously meets the criteria for the school so hopefully Mr Parker et al will see how much he wants to be there .

Best of luck to your DS and all at finals this week.

Ps Happymum sorry to say it never gets any easier ;)

I'd be very surprised if a physio was able to divulge any information from a consultation apart from the examination that you've agreed to. I think it would be a breach of confidentiality, I expect it was just chat.

Has your son tried meditation cds? At this stage practising isn't going to be helpful, maybe just try and keep him busy and try and deflect all attention from the audition. Personally I find it impossible not to get very nervous when it's something I really care about and the answer is just to not dwell on it too much!

I'd be very surprised if a physio was able to divulge any information from a consultation apart from the examination that you've agreed to. I think it would be a breach of confidentiality, I expect it was just chat.

Has your son tried meditation cds? At this stage practising isn't going to be helpful, maybe just try and keep him busy and try and deflect all attention from the audition. Personally I find it impossible not to get very nervous when it's something I really care about and the answer is just to not dwell on it too much!

Except that of various other parents at the audition who I knew and spoke to afterwards they also confirmed their DC had been asked this in the physio, hence the reason we thought it may not have just been idle chat.

I suppose it depends what the agreement is but for example if you went to your gp for a medical they would only be able to divulge the specific points on the medical and not anything else you had said unless it directly affected the results of the medical. If the physio was given permission to report on certain aspects of physique etc then for them to also report what other schools had given offers would be irrelevant and a blatant breach of confidentiality. i can see why a seed of doubt has been sown but I honestly doubt that this would have been fed back. Aren't you allowed to go on with your child for the assessment?

• Like 1

I wouldn't assume that it wasn't idle chat just because multiple children were asked the same thing. I work in health care and I have to confess that i have the same "spontaneous" conversations/tell the same jokes to many of my patients. Getting people chatting often helps relax them in stressful situations and you soon learn what works well as a conversation starter with particular types of people. It may have been no more significant than that.

• Like 1

For upper school Dada some schools ask you for your income before final decisions are made! A child needing full Dada will take as much money as two families on higher income.x

Yes, but they aren't allowed to take that into consideration when making their offers.

I suppose it depends what the agreement is but for example if you went to your gp for a medical they would only be able to divulge the specific points on the medical and not anything else you had said unless it directly affected the results of the medical. If the physio was given permission to report on certain aspects of physique etc then for them to also report what other schools had given offers would be irrelevant and a blatant breach of confidentiality. i can see why a seed of doubt has been sown but I honestly doubt that this would have been fed back. Aren't you allowed to go on with your child for the assessment?

No, they get taken off in groups and asked to fill in one side of a questionnaire including any injuries or physio treatments in last 12 months, then they are given the physio assessment. The other side of the form is filled in by the physio, and includes something along the lines of 'recommend' or 'fail' tick boxes (not kidding!) so this form must be given as feedback to the panel. Otherwise why would they have that on there?

Perhaps it was all idle chit chat. I must just have a cynical mind ...  :lol:

Are the candidate/parent interviews happening for upper school auditions too? Just curious as the parent of a current year 11, I was assuming I wouldn't need to be there that day! We haven't had much information from school regarding the day itself.

Are the candidate/parent interviews happening for upper school auditions too? Just curious as the parent of a current year 11, I was assuming I wouldn't need to be there that day! We haven't had much information from school regarding the day itself.

Yes mimismom, upper school too - 15 mins. We have had a timetable for the day and been told that parking at the Priory is not an option because of work going on there. Not sure where to park now!

You will receive alternative car park info email about a week before final audition. For lower school final we have been given the cricket ground or the Arts centre both about 10 min walk. Ideal unless it's pouring with rain like they give it tomorrow. Good luck to all the girls auditioning tomorrow xx

Parking at the Midlands Art centre just down the road 10 minute walk and free - done it today nice stroll after being inside a very warm and dry building for most of the day before long drive home. The Art centre has nice cafe for lunch whilst you have to leave DC to it. Also please don't worry about the informal discussion either it really is just a chat where they make some notes - mainly about the type of child that is auditioning and whether they will need extra support. Good luck to all the boys tom Xx