Terry's Chocolate Oranges - and other festive/seasonal treats

taxi4ballet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,thanks everyone for my birthday wishes too. Can't believe i'm 49. Where do the years go, eh?

Tell me about it! The last few years seem to have flown by and not because they've been a whirlwind of excitement!

If you want to try some orangey chocolate, treat yourself to a box of Lindt orange chocolate truffles, they are the business!

I see bags of Maltesers are the latest to be reduced in weight. As the bags are mostly full of air already, that's going to be a filling snack. As for Toblerone reducing the number of triangles or increasing the spaces between them, take your pick, that would be funny if not so ridiculous. Do they think we won't notice?

• Like 4

I see bags of Maltesers are the latest to be reduced in weight. As the bags are mostly full of air already, that's going to be a filling snack. As for Toblerone reducing the number of triangles or increasing the spaces between them, take your pick, that would be funny if not so ridiculous. Do they think we won't notice?

Boxes of chocolates are the same - a massive box, but wide open spaces between each chocolate. They used to be packed in like sardines.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another con trick, along with the Kellogg's Cornflakes "we'll add 40 g to the same-sized packet and charge an extra 25% for it" :(

And now I noticed in Sainsbury's yesterday that the pack size has gone back down to 750 g, but the price is still at £2.49 rather than the old £2.00.

Opened a big selection box of biscuits this morning. They all look very nice in the packaging and I took out a chocolate chip cookie, to find there was nothing underneath it. Turns out the whole thing is single layer as in one of each biscuit! Not at all like the picture which shows a generously packed box. Perhaps that was just one of those serving suggestions, although you would need about six boxes worth to get that many biscuits. Con!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 2

I like Carrs water biscuits, the smaller ones.  For some time now the box has remained the same size but with fewer biscuits in the sealed packet  inside.  The price has increased by about 40% during the time the number of biscuits has decreased.

Opened a big selection box of biscuits this morning. They all look very nice in the packaging and I took out a chocolate chip cookie, to find there was nothing underneath it. Turns out the whole thing is single layer as in one of each biscuit! Not at all like the picture which shows a generously packed box. Perhaps that was just one of those serving suggestions, although you would need about six boxes worth to get that many biscuits. Con!

Now, *that* I would report to the Advertising Standards Authority :(

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I got a Chocolate Orange for Christmas, and finished eating it maybe a month or so ago.  The packaging claimed the ingredients were unchanged - or something - but I could barely taste any orange in it at all :(

6 hours ago, alison said:

I got a Chocolate Orange for Christmas, and finished eating it maybe a month or so ago.  The packaging claimed the ingredients were unchanged - or something - but I could barely taste any orange in it at all :(

Whatever the taste, or lack thereof, I think it's pretty impressive to hold on to chocolate for 3 whole months :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I was given a packet of Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts last week.  I used to love these.

Guess what? They don't taste of liquorice any more. In fact, they don't taste of anything much, apart from sugar.  It is an outrage!

20 minutes ago, alison said:

Did I mention that I bought a pack of Murray Mints recently (also produced by Bassetts, I think)?  They didn't taste remotely like Murray Mints.

Maybe it's connected with the Bassetts merger/takeover - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassett's? From a quick Googling, even Jelly Babies haven't been spared...

Still, if you folks are managing to leave packs of sweeties unfinished, you have my respect (and my offer to relieve you of all the half-finished packets...) 

• Like 1

I love clarnico mint creams too and you can buy them in Morrisons and possibly Sainsburys. As a product they were discontinued for a while and now the packaging is different as they have dropped clarnico from the title of the product - now just Maynards Bassetts Mint Creams but still shows 'clarnico' in the image and its written on the actual sweet wrapper. Just bought a packet this morning!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

my mum asked me to buy her a nestle walnut whip - she hadn't had one in years, but really fancied one.

my local newsagents told me you couldn't get them anymore...

the next day I stopped at local petrol station and what did I spy? ... yep .. walnut whips! I have one waiting for mums next visit!

• Like 2