I Passed!!! Grade 6

Dormouse

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't want to put a downer on this as I think it is a really amazing achievement and have said so earlier.

But the article is a little misleading as Dormouse is not the oldest lady dancing to a good standard.

Her achievement is in passing the exam ....no mean feat to,be sure.

However on a recent summer school I was attending in London there was a lady there of 84 who was dancing really competently in an elementary/intermediate level class!! Also amazing.

Hope both ladies have many years of dancing ahead!!

Just listening to the OP and her teacher on BBC Radio Berkshire this morning on my drive to work. I never imagined I would be hearing about the finer points of a Grade 6 ballet class in place of the usual traffic reports. The media interest that this is generating can only be a good thing for dance in general and adult ballet in particular. Lets hope lots of people get inspired by these amazing ladies.

But the article is a little misleading as Dormouse is not the oldest lady dancing to a good standard.

I always think that if you don't have to go into hiding after a newspaper article you're featured in you're doing well. By the time it's filtered by a journalist and a sub-editor, anything can happen, especially in the headlines and introduction. 

• Like 2

It is also to organisations like the RAD and BBO's credit that they allow adults to take their examinations with no restrictions on age limit.

Yes Colman I had an inkling that journalists can put their own spin on things whether you want them to or not!!

I don't know for sure of course but perhaps the interviewers have absolutely no idea what is going on generally in the adult ballet world and just how many people are taking classes and performing regularly etc.

It is a wonderful achievement for an older person to take this exam especially if only been dancing for ten years like Dormouse.

I think one of the reasons you will not get that many people over the age of 65 taking higher level ballet exams is because of the jumping required!! There are a lot of beats and steps like brisee and brisee vole( sorry can't do the French accent thing) which require a good height off the ground to execute properly. So I think there are natural limitations......in terms of passing exams.

However older people as a general rule seem to be getting fitter so this could gradually change.

• Like 3

I don't know for sure of course but perhaps the interviewers have absolutely no idea what is going on generally in the adult ballet world and just how many people are taking classes and performing regularly etc.

There are press articles along the lines of journalists writing "I took a ballet class and it was lovely" about once a year, but I don't think they realise just how many adults dance regularly all the time.

But any publicity - particularly that which makes women over 30 visible in a postiive way - is good publicity!

• Like 3

Well I don't want to put a downer on this as I think it is a really amazing achievement and have said so earlier.

Her achievement is in passing the exam ....no mean feat to,be sure.

However on a recent summer school I was attending in London there was a lady there of 84 who was dancing really competently in an elementary/intermediate level class!! Also amazing.

Hope both ladies have many years of dancing ahead!!

I know the feeling. It's NOT what I said, or wrote. I have only ever said I was the oldest in the UK to pass the exam. Also, I don't know where they got the idea I had my new knee two years ago. It was THREE. Some papers just twist things. I don't think there's much I can do about that :-(

• Like 3

Well done Dormouse!

I enjoyed reading about your achievements in an article posted by Jacob's Pillow Dance in Massachusetts! It's on their Facebook page and has gathered many positive comments. They seem very interested in the shoes you were wearing.

Re the journalist's comments, we always say that if our local paper gets one correct fact in an article, they are doing well!

• Like 3

[quote name="LinMM" post="181890" timestamp=.

I think one of the reasons you will not get that many people over the age of 65 taking higher level ballet exams is because of the jumping required!! There are a lot of beats and steps like brisee and brisee vole( sorry can't do the French accent thing) which require a good height off the ground to execute properly. So I think there are natural limitations......in terms of passing exams.

However older people as a general rule seem to be getting fitter so this could gradually change.

I think you can apply for dispensations as a 'mature' candidate, especially for the intermediate exam so that older candidates can become teachers

Edited by Moomin

I never knew this! But tricky.....what is "mature" anyone over 20, or 30, or 40 etc etc!! I should think if someone over 65 presented they would know are not going on to train as teacher! Unless I had an injury though I wouldn't want to get any special consideration.

If you didn't dance as a child ( and even if you did sometimes) it's quite hard for example to work with the leg at 90 as required I think in either the grade 7 or 8 exam. But I do get muddled up with what's required from the grades and what from the more vocational intermediate exam which is sort of equivalent to grade 7 and /or 8!

The thing is you could probably still have a go at the exam. You might get marked down for certain technical things but perhaps up in other areas like presentation and musicality and general dance quality.

In the end the teacher should be able to tell you whether you've got any chance of passing and if yes then go for it!

I think as I took exams when younger I'm personally not too bothered to take any more but in the BBO grade 6 class I attend here some ladies wanted to take it recently and passed with Merits again a brill achievement ...but they are in their 40's and 50's so considerably younger than Dormouse!!

Congratulations Dormouse!! :)

Belated wishes from me, apologies, but I have been following your achievements on social media, The Times and you also had a mention on Classic FM this week!

I think I'm correct in saying you've visited us in our Southend store - a couple of the staff recognised you in the press coverage! I think you're now a famous ballerina!

Sx

• Like 1

Congratulations Dormouse!! :)

Belated wishes from me, apologies, but I have been following your achievements on social media, The Times and you also had a mention on Classic FM this week!

I think I'm correct in saying you've visited us in our Southend store - a couple of the staff recognised you in the press coverage! I think you're now a famous ballerina!

Sx

Thank you for that. Yes, I visit your store nearly every time I visit Southend. As you may know, I grew up there, and lived there until a mere 34 years ago. I still have friends there, and a cousin who teaches ballet - so, when I visit, I try to be there on Thursday evening to attend her adult class.

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon Dormouse.

I missed this thread earlier so I add my congratulations to everybody else's.  

The news report about your Grade 6 pass kept me going through our La Bayadere intensive in Manchester earlier this month.  In fact I wrote a little piece abut you at the time:

Although I am as stiff as a board this morning with aches and pains in muscles and joints that I never knew existed despite soaking in a hot bath followed by a cold shower I am buoyed up by two news items.  The first was the 97 year old dentist and entrepreneur featured on How to Age. The second was the story on The World Tonight about Doreen Petchey from Reading who has just passed her RAD Grade 6 exams at age 71 (see Congratulations Doreen 12 Aug 2016 on the RAD website and the video clip on her (Britain's oldest ballerina: 71-year-old passes Grade 6 exam).

The "old girl" in the title to the post was intended to refer to me by the way - not you.

I added:

I was going to give alcohol a miss last night but when I heard about Mrs. Petchey I felt compelled to drink her health in Argentine Malbec. If she can do grade 6 at age 71 I should be able to finish this course at age 67.

Our Over 55 class at Northern Ballet resumes very soon. As I said in my post there are some members of that class who are even older than you and me.    I am sure your success will give us all good cheer.

• Like 1

I came across this rather nice article this morning while preparing today's links.  It features dancer Jane Magan preparing for retirement and talking about the health benefits of dance.  Our very own Dormouse gets an honourable mention!

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/grow-older-with-grace-ballet-dancer-jane-magain-prepares-to-hang-up-her-pumps-35002640.html

• Like 3

That is pretty good, apart from the "middle aged women" crack in the intro.

Jane's lovely: we know her from her work with Ballet Ireland, and she gave us adults a workshop earlier this year, which was fun - though she did complain how out of shape she was, which was pretty hilarious to the rest of us as we tried to keep up.

• Like 1

I read all about it on Facebook, so it was rather nice to come on here and hear from the real you!!!!!  And to be able to congratulate you in person, so to speak!! Very well done!  Great achievement!   I adore teaching the Higher Grades 6 and 7, especially as I can still demonstrate them full out, which sadly I am no longer able to do with the Vocationals.  Are you going to continue on to Grade 7?  It's a beautiful syllabus!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to Dance*is*life I don't know if my reply is automatically linked to you.

Thank you for your congratulations. Yes, I am already studying Grade 7. I started after I did my Grade 6 presentation class in December 2014 - everyone thought I would drop Grade 6 and concentrate on Grade 7. I wanted to get Grade 6 and my RAD Affiliate membership!!! I'm also studying Intermediate Foundation. I also adore the higher grades - especially as my class teacher was a professional dancer in Germany before coming to the UK. It was really great when he said my Polonaise step was correct, but should be bigger - his arm went round my waist, and his other hand held mine, and we were off round the studio. Dancing with a partner who really knows his stuff is so inspiring.

Errr ... Just to keep my mind focused ... I'm taking IDTA Silver in November  I took the Bronze in 2010, and I was going to do Silver the following year, but the date changed, and I was in Canada. Then I had knee operations, and this is the first year I can concentrate on it.

• Like 2

I came across this rather nice article this morning while preparing today's links.  It features dancer Jane Magan preparing for retirement and talking about the health benefits of dance.  Our very own Dormouse gets an honourable mention!

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/mental-health/grow-older-with-grace-ballet-dancer-jane-magain-prepares-to-hang-up-her-pumps-35002640.html

WOW! Thanks for posting that. I am getting around ... I have been on Canadian television: http://tinyurl.com/hfprf9v

THINKS: I MUST tidy this house!!!

• Like 4

Well, I've done it. I've contacted my dds ballet school and enrolled in adult ballet classes. I've never had a ballet lesson in my life! Now to pluck up the courage to actually walk into the class. Watch this space!!

Good Luck. I remember plucking up courage to go to my first class in England.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...