Dance School Fraud

prancerdancer

They only check the UK fingerprint data base to see if you are a convicted sex offender in the UK or declared especially dangerous by the police. So paedophiles, sex offenders child traffickers and adults that abuse children emotionally or physically whose fingerprints are not on record can still get through the current system.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a bit of a diversion, a friend of mine had a daughter at a dance school where the teacher used to take money for exams which never happened. She used to say that the exam board had no availability , but according to DDs teacher at the time she would send in 4 possible dates and be given one. The thing that most concerned more was the teacher taking money from trusting parents on their children's behalf and then no exams. My friend eventually got wise to it when she rang the board directly when some exams had actually happened, and no results received. The board had received no payment hence withholding the results, Thankfully my friend moved her daughter soon after. Don't know how people can do this, thankfully the school is now closed.

That's awful! How trusting we all are :)

I find this very interesting regarding exam fees. My daughters vocational school collected money for Advanced 1 Rad classes extra to curriculum, we also had to pay the £130 exam entry payment. We paid this in the November 2015 and were told that the exam was to be in the spring of 2016, date to be confirmed. The school then decided that they had not finished the course in the spring and every one on the course would now have take their exams in the Autumn term.

My daughter has left the school now, but they are refusing to give the exam entry payment back.

I wonder if that money has been kept separately....in a secure account.

I would have thought that legislation such as The Sale Of Good Act would cover this for a refund of goods and services not provided. 

The only exception to that would be anything specific in the organisations Supply of Goods and Services Terms and Conditions that specifically stated that fees would not be refunded. 

I can give some debt collection and litigation advice by pm if you wish :) 

• Like 1

Is It fraud when a ballet school also provides the accommodation but on leaving does not return the deposit?? My dd was at a vocational school and lived in one of their houses...she left in mid July. The house was inspected and deemed to be in a good condition. I understand that deposits are supposed, by law, to be put into a separate account and are therefore returnable...within 14 days after vacating the property. The money has not been returned despite polite requests on our behalf....I suppose it isn't fraud as such but feels fairly fraudulent from our point of view.....thoughts? Advice?

• Like 1

Hello CP, when I worked on a project based in Bath I rented a room in a house (it was a very wonderful house BTW) but had terrible trouble getting my deposit back.  I did in the end because I recommended the house to other people in work, a number of whom rented there for a while.  I had feedback from one of my colleagues that they all had problems getting their deposits back when they left.  It seems to be a common issue.

I don't know whether it would class as a fraud, but perhaps you could (if you haven't already) seek advice from the CAB.

Thank you Annaleisey for your advice, I will definitely not let it go.

I will also keep making requests for the return of our accommodation deposit as well Cornishprincess.

I guess now it has gone quiet re request to pay back thousands of pounds scholarship money I can start my next battle !

I have lived in four different privately rented houses over the years; one in Salford and the other three here. The last three houses I have lived in I never got my deposit back, despite me leaving each house in immaculate condition and far better than I entered them. Doesn't help of course when the landlord doesn't give you a Tenancy Agreement, even when he promises one. My last but one house, the deposit was only £400. Four month's rent. Point blank refused. Some pathetic excuse or other. And the couple had won about 100K on the Lottery a few years  earlier. Nasty pieces of work. The house I am currently in and have been for around nine years, the house became reposessed around New Years  one year. No word of warning from the landlord, despite his mother living next door to me and him turning up most days to visit her. Had the humiliation of hordes of people traipsing through my home for weeks on end. The new owner does nothing. Except collect the rent on this and the other nine houses he owns in the Newry area. Because the house was repossessed I lost my deposit. When I eventually move out of here, I will get nothing. I really don't like landlords. Bloody leeches.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 1

A poster here said that deposits are supposed to,be kept in a special separate account and paid back within a certain period (usually 14 days to a month) if there is no damage etc.

This is true with privately rented accommodation indeed and more .....it is now Law to register the deposit with certain Deposit agencies and even if the tenants stay in the property more than a year you have to inform this Deposit Agency on a yearly basis( or when the tenancy changes of course).

I'm not sure when it comes to accommodation for schools etc but it is probably pretty similar.

• Like 2

Ummmm Cornish princess my deposit has not been returned.

A quick question,if a company owes you money and that company goes bankrupt how do you find out they have filed bankruptcy ? Do they put a notice of the door of the premises and an answer machine on, Is that it? Or is there a web site that announces all the bankruptcies in the country?

• Like 1

Ugh, thanks for that, j+e - I didn't realise my bookmarks for Companies House were out of date (I use the website to check the bona fides of various companies I come into contact with).  I hope nobody needs to use it for a while, because - in the good old tradition of governments and other organisations finding it necessary to tart up websites which work perfectly well, so that they then don't - the current search facility is hopeless.

• Like 1

I have lived in four different privately rented houses over the years; one in Salford and the other three here. The last three houses I have lived in I never got my deposit back, despite me leaving each house in immaculate condition and far better than I entered them. Doesn't help of course when the landlord doesn't give you a Tenancy Agreement, even when he promises one. My last but one house, the deposit was only £400. Four month's rent. Point blank refused. Some pathetic excuse or other. And the couple had won about 100K on the Lottery a few years earlier. Nasty pieces of work. The house I am currently in and have been for around nine years, the house became reposessed around New Years one year. No word of warning from the landlord, despite his mother living next door to me and him turning up most days to visit her. Had the humiliation of hordes of people traipsing through my home for weeks on end. The new owner does nothing. Except collect the rent on this and the other nine houses he owns in the Newry area. Because the house was repossessed I lost my deposit. When I eventually move out of here, I will get nothing. I really don't like landlords. Bloody leeches.

Ummmm Cornish princess my deposit has not been returned?

Lisa, I'm not sure if NI landlords are subject to the same legal obligations as in England: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/tenancy_deposits/getting_your_deposit_back/return_of_a_tenancy_deposit_when_a_tenancy_ends but I would suggest you - and anyone else who has not had an accommodation deposit back - seek legal advice, whether from a Solicitor or from the CAB.

Edited for clarity.