hoglett

I struggled with this one....seems odd that to apply you have to send in £100 deposit which is non refundable if offered a place you then don't take up. Yes, it does seem you can audition for a scholarship without actually doing this but as others have said here, going to these can still entail huge expense & logistically was impossible for us to get DC to either centre/date. So felt I dare not send in video application as dare not risk losing £100 as that would go some way towards covering fees for another course or a couple of day events & knew that could not afford the full fees & would feel wrong to apply for a bursary as would share similar dilemma another poster has described....one thing I think that woukd make sense is as others suggest, send out yes & no prior to auditions so all yes's can decide/try to go. I find paying a fee as you do with RBS a little galling (& clearly a big money spinner for them) but also appreciate there us a time/cost to looking through lots of videos...maybe the deposit could just be refunded to those offered a place but who don't get scholarship/bursary but with a tight enough deadline so as to be easily able to fill space from edit list. Another good idea would be if voc schools who recommend this as an appropriate course for students arrange groups to travel together to audition days or at least encourage open conversations so kids could try to hook up & share trips/expense & perhsps those more local could assist those who are many hours away? Am I right in thinkng that done schools do arrange this?

• Like 4

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I struggled with this one....seems odd that to apply you have to send in £100 deposit which is non refundable if offered a place you then don't take up.

I hadn't picked up on this point - better start saving for next summer now - it does look a great course!

• Like 1

I have never applied for my ds as I and he really don't like the way the deposit/acceptance/scholarship audition is set up.  There are lots of lovely summer schools out there which don't seem to be putting parents in this awful position. I used to go the YBSS when I was a student and I would have loved for my ds to go too but not when the process is so unfair and money grabbing - good grief we parents spend thousands on pursuing this dream of our children. I don't want to feel like a complete mug! 

• Like 1

I didn't realise the deposit was non refundable. I would have thought for anyone who applied for scholarship or bursary and if they really could not afford the course without it wouldn't they have to refund? 

On another note im still not quite clear on how the bursaries are awarded - are they handed out from the sch audition? Or is it purely a means tested financial thing? It isn't made clear on the website. And when the list was published last year of scholarship winners in dancing times it included the list of bursary recipients as if they had also been awarded from audition? 

9 minutes ago, amos73 said:

I didn't realise the deposit was non refundable. I would have thought for anyone who applied for scholarship or bursary and if they really could not afford the course without it wouldn't they have to refund? 

On another note im still not quite clear on how the bursaries are awarded - are they handed out from the sch audition? Or is it purely a means tested financial thing? It isn't made clear on the website. And when the list was published last year of scholarship winners in dancing times it included the list of bursary recipients as if they had also been awarded from audition? 

I believe the bursaries are awarded from the audition as the other year my dc's friend got one - the parents hadn't asked for a bursary and they hadn't been asked for any financial details, rightly or wrongly, they just accepted it in lieu of a scholarship!

The first time we applied to YBSS I sent the deposit and dc was unsuccessful at the audition but offered a place, again we couldn't afford the place (deja vu!) and they kindly tore up my cheque so I would double check the non refundable bit? Although that was 3 or 4 yrs ago. I have since been upfront  and not submitted the deposit when I apply, but am fortunate to be able to get to the audition and treat it as class/audition practise for dc, if successful then a bonus!  That said, dc didn't enjoy the experience as much as it was  over subscribed and the classes were very full, dc was dancing with a lot of much older boys so perhaps was a little intimidated which may explain the lack of offer this year.  Putting it all down to experience.  If York was closer for us, I think I would choose that venue as from fb, they appear to have had about 40 attendees as opposed to the 100 in London.  So perhaps bear that in mind if planning for next year Peanuts.  Good luck and again, well done to all,

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mimi'smom said:

Thank you Amos73. Is your dd going to be a junior, intermediate or senior? Mine will be senior. 

I'm not sure which group she will be in - she is 12, year 7 full time vocational student. She is really looking forward to it as her best friend also got a place.

• Like 1

We also had our £100 refunded one year when dd unexpectedly got White Lodge Summer School and a lovely 'hope she enjoys it' message from Miss Porter. I do think the YBSS team works incredibly hard to secure an unprecedented level of funded places and I am so grateful that my daughter, amongst many others, has been able to access such a fabulous summer school with an amazing faculty as a result. 

• Like 4

Just now, mimi'smom said:

We also had our £100 refunded one year when dd unexpectedly got White Lodge Summer School and a lovely 'hope she enjoys it' message from Miss Porter. I do think the YBSS team works incredibly hard to secure an unprecedented level of funded places and I am so grateful that my daughter, amongst many others, has been able to access such a fabulous summer school with an amazing faculty as a result. 

Good to hear that the deposit was refunded. And yes it is fantastic there are so many scholarships available for the course.

• Like 3

HI there - am looking for other parents with dc's attending YBSS this summer. This will be my daughter's first time attending (she's 12) and she won't know anyone so am hoping to connect with others before she goes.  We are London-based but would welcome meeting other dc's (even virtually) no matter where they are from...  Please feel free to PM me (sorry I don't know much about PM-ing - am relatively new to this wonderful forum) or connecting any other way.  I also have some questions about YBSS in terms of the weekly schedule if anyone can share that. 

Thank you so much in advance!

• Like 2

SJ 

My dd has never been to this one but in general many dc will go knowing no -one so don't worry too much. Friends are quickly made and most parents find their dc aren't calling enough because they're having so much fun!!

Good luck to your dd.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SJK said:

HI there - am looking for other parents with dc's attending YBSS this summer. This will be my daughter's first time attending (she's 12) and she won't know anyone so am hoping to connect with others before she goes.  We are London-based but would welcome meeting other dc's (even virtually) no matter where they are from...  Please feel free to PM me (sorry I don't know much about PM-ing - am relatively new to this wonderful forum) or connecting any other way.  I also have some questions about YBSS in terms of the weekly schedule if anyone can share that. 

Hi my dd and her friend are both 12 and going for the first time to week one. Which week is your dd doing? Pm me if you like.

Did anyone's dd's or ds's go to the Masters of Ballet Summer School at Sadlers Wells last year know or remember if they got a list of what all they needed to bring with them & can remember what was on it? Also does anyone know the start & finishing times for it?

Hi Tootu,  I asked similar questions and got an email saying:

Lessons for students from 11-19 year old start at 10 .00 am and finish at 4/5.00pm depending on the daily timetable.

Foundation group: from 12.00-2.00pm

Students may wear any ballet uniform abs bring Character shoes and character skirt.

For the final day Performance: 
girls : black sleeveless leotard, black chiffon skirt, black footless tights for contemporary  

boys: : black tights and short sleeve white top, black ballet shoes.

hope this helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atacrossroads said:

Hi Tootu,  I asked similar questions and got an email saying:

Lessons for students from 11-19 year old start at 10 .00 am and finish at 4/5.00pm depending on the daily timetable.

Foundation group: from 12.00-2.00pm

Students may wear any ballet uniform abs bring Character shoes and character skirt.

For the final day Performance: 
girls : black sleeveless leotard, black chiffon skirt, black footless tights for contemporary  

boys: : black tights and short sleeve white top, black ballet shoes.

hope this helps!

Thank you atacrossroads

• Like 1

So, where is everyone going this year, apart from RBS and YBSS? Dd (15) is at Northern Ballet in Leeds and Ballet West in Scotland (weeks 2 and 3). Really would have loved to have done Central and/or Rambert as these are her 1st choice schools for applications this Autumn, but dates/accomodation/logistics proved too challenging for us! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueLou said:

So, where is everyone going this year, apart from RBS and YBSS? Dd (15) is at Northern Ballet in Leeds and Ballet West in Scotland (weeks 2 and 3). Really would have loved to have done Central and/or Rambert as these are her 1st choice schools for applications this Autumn, but dates/accomodation/logistics proved too challenging for us! 

My daughter (16) is considering Northern Ballet and Ballet West. Do you have any experience of either?

25 minutes ago, arabesque1 said:

My daughter (16) is considering Northern Ballet and Ballet West. Do you have any experience of either?

Dd has done several Easter and Summer intensives at Northern Ballet as she was an Associate there for 3 years before joining the CAT programme there last year. All of the CAT scheme dancers are at the summer intensive, plus many dancers from voc schools both in Britain and further afield (there were quite a few Italians last year!). Dd loves the intensives there. It’s very friendly and welcoming and the facilities are fabulous. They do ballet, contemporary, rep, and Pilates. Class sizes are approx 15-20 (I think!). Any other questions - feel free to PM me. We have never done Ballet West but it received good reviews on here last year. We were attracted by the fact that she could do 2 weeks residential there, and it does look lovely! 

• Like 1

Ballet West is great - it's my daughter's favourite one and she's been to several.

Classes 20 or smaller so personal . Delightful positive staff and the location is unbelievable! ! They are very accomodating and will meet kids at the station etc.

The only downside when my dd went 2 yrs ago was she felt there wasn't enough food so we'll be sending snacks this year!!

Did anyone go last year and have any food comments? 

• Like 1

I went to ballet west last year, and loved it. Going to OPES this year though :)

i stayed a week, and it is utterly beautiful! There was an opportunity to go for a walk into Taynuilt over the week. We had ballet, contemporary/jazz, repertoire, body conditioning (we all had six packs by the end of the week!), choreography and Pointe. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. Breakfast lunch and supper was provided, but many people brought snacks! 

Been to BW several times, would agree on the snack front but there is extra food you can ask for I'm sure! Classes are lovely and it's a nice break away from crazy London summer schools! I'm going for week 4 this year, but I'll be doing the week with the full time students as opposed to the actual summer school x

5 hours ago, sarahw said:

Ballet West is great - it's my daughter's favourite one and she's been to several.

Classes 20 or smaller so personal . Delightful positive staff and the location is unbelievable! ! They are very accomodating and will meet kids at the station etc.

The only downside when my dd went 2 yrs ago was she felt there wasn't enough food so we'll be sending snacks this year!!

Did anyone go last year and have any food comments? 

Yes my dd did a week at Ballet West last year and was full of praise for the food especially the homemade pizza. Said it was much nicer than the food at a certain boarding school in the Midlands. Tbh she never has enough to eat wherever she goes so I always send her with extra snacks. Agree with everything that sarahw has said its super friendly. The quality of tuition compares well with the London schools. The rest of the family had a fabulous holiday in the Western Isles. In fact dd liked it so much that she is going there full time in September.

On 18/05/2017 at 12:31, SJK said:

Hi my DD is also 12 and doing both weeks at ybss this summer , feel free to get in touch xx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are two laundrettes on site for the Askham Bryan students in term time but I have no idea if the YBSS students have access to these. I shall be sending my dd with travel detergent and a radiator airer and strict instructions to do a daily hand wash or run the risk of running out of dance wear before the end of the two weeks! 

• Like 5

On 5/22/2017 at 08:33, BlueLou said:

Opes...first ever residential and excitement is building.

• Like 1