hoglett

So they have said to some from the london audition they are possible scholarship but won't confirm till the other auditions done? I wonder why they don't just wait till all the auditions are done before lettjng people know? Wouldnt it make more sense now they have the video application to do yeses and nos from the videos  then yeses can come to the scholarship audition if they would like? Anyhow good luck to everyone still waiting and I guess those they have said may get sch after York has been done will still have a place so that is good news. X

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, amos73 said:

Wouldnt it make more sense now they have the video application to do yeses and nos from the videos  then yeses can come to the scholarship audition if they would like? 

It does seem odd that they don’t offer places before the scholarship auditions. It’s a huge waste of time and money for some people traipsing off to scholarship auditions when they aren’t even going to get offered a place let alone a scholarship. As you say, they must know the yeses from the videos, so why not tell the nos before the the scholarship audition and save them the extra time and expense?

• Like 3

They told the kids they would know in a couple of days.  

We were really surprised to have been offered a place as they tend to be given to Voc students.  We don't really hold out much hope for funding but DD enjoyed the class.  

I do think the new video audition is good though much better than relying on photos as was the case previously.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

I don't understand why they have given places and scholarships out before seeing everybody and to those even before the audition. Why not just wait and make the process at least seem fair.

Does everyone have to audition as well as putting in the video application or is auditioning just an option if you want a scholarship?  Is the scholarship based on finding need or dancing ability?  Looks an amazing course!

8 hours ago, junedancer said:

Does everyone have to audition as well as putting in the video application or is auditioning just an option if you want a scholarship?  Is the scholarship based on finding need or dancing ability?  Looks an amazing course!

Places are allocated solely on video application. The audition is just for those who wish to be considered for a scholarship, which is based solely on ability and not means-tested. They don’t tell you if you have secured a place before you show up for the scholarship audition though, so it could be a complete waste of time!

• Like 1

On 06/05/2017 at 22:54, shygirlsmum said:

DD has been offered both weeks, I'm still recovering from the shock ?

Congratulations to your DD. Did they email? Or just speak to you? What age group? I couldn't go along with my DD but she said they would be informed in a few days?

3 hours ago, Mae989 said:

Congratulations to your DD. Did they email? Or just speak to you? What age group? I couldn't go along with my DD but she said they would be informed in a few days?

Thank you, we a thrilled for DD but a little panicked about the cost, I'm currently making tutu's to sell to raise funds ?.  

I forgot to do the funding form so we were informed (by email) about the place prior to funding audition.  We turned up at the audition on the off chance she would be allowed to join in and fortunately they were happy to accommodate (we weren't the only ones).

DD is 13 and she said they were told to expect results in a couple of days.

We haven't heard anything yet but DD's friend has had a no ?

we heard yesterday after the London audition on 30 apr, an offer of a place without scholarship which sadly we have had to turn down as we cannot afford the fees without any help.  they said they were overwhelmed with applications for funding which is suspect is indicative of the fact it appears to be the only summer school which offers the opportunity of funded places.  Sadly for our little family, summer schools are luxuries, so it will be a summer of stretching and swimming to keep dc fit! Was worth a try and there is always next year I guess. Well done to all those who were successful.

MM

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, matchstickmen said:

we heard yesterday after the London audition on 30 apr, an offer of a place without scholarship which sadly we have had to turn down as we cannot afford the fees without any help.  they said they were overwhelmed with applications for funding which is suspect is indicative of the fact it appears to be the only summer school which offers the opportunity of funded places.  Sadly for our little family, summer schools are luxuries, so it will be a summer of stretching and swimming to keep dc fit! Was worth a try and there is always next year I guess. Well done to all those who were successful.

MM

Really sorry to hear you have had to turn down the place - would it not be worth speaking to them re possibility of a bursary, as whereas the scholarships are given regardless of financial circumstances, the bursaries I think are done based on financial need?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amos73 said:

Really sorry to hear you have had to turn down the place - would it not be worth speaking to them re possibility of a bursary, as whereas the scholarships are given regardless of financial circumstances, the bursaries I think are done based on financial need?

Thanks for that suggestion Amos73, perhaps I will email them but I guess it depends how you define financial need, my husband and I both work so on paper probably earn too much to be considered financially in need but by the time we have paid vocational school fees and our hefty mortgage, there really is no money in the piggy bank for summer schools.  Is that a need, probably not.  Would be uncomfortable taking a bursary when there are others who may have genuine financial constraints, it is our choice to be permanently broke pursuing the ballet dream :rolleyes: Dc understands it is funded place or not at all and has been lucky enough to have received a scholarship before so it is only fair that someone else gets the opportunity.  We are cool with it! B) 

(apologies, just discovered smiley faces, can't resist :wub:)

MM

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

My dd delighted to have a place but no scholarship. Anyone on here get one from York? Congrats to everyone else too! 

My daughter, who was in the second audition class, is thrilled to have received a scholarship. This will be her third year at YBSS and she just loves it! 

• Like 6