hoglett

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only just found about the new Hammond Ballet Summer School.  It sounds very different to the general dance summer school which as Sarah says covers al styles of dance and is open to all abilities.

I am thinking it might be worth starting a separate thread highlighting this one for Elia's benefit the Intensive Ballet School is for Intermediate and above Level dancers which would generally mean dancers aged at least 12 years old who have been en pointe (in the case of girls) for at least 1 year.

You can find a list of the steps a dancer of that level would be expected to be capable of on the RAD website https://www.rad.org.uk/achieve/exams/what-we-do/rules-regulations-and-specifications under Intermediate Foundation and Intermediate.    This is just a guide to the level expected.

The leaflet advertising the course states

The programme will comprise a daily two-hour ballet class, followed by classes in pointework, solo repertoire, and supported adage. Each class will be

accompanied by one of our world-class pianists, and students will be given the opportunity to learn new work, make new friends and establish new contacts under the guidance of a highly-qualified Hammond ballet mistress.

Students completing this course will have been professionally coached in at least one advanced level solo which they can use for auditions or appropriate level dance competitions.

Edited by theother51
  • Like 1

I would also say that regarding OPES, the calibre of the teachers means that this particular Summer School attracts a lot of very serious vocationally minded students.  However dancers who are more recreational are also welcomed.

The course directors seem quite experienced in placing dancers in the correct class.  In fact I feel that they do this better without auditions or photographs than some other Summer Schools which require photos do.

Rambert school is holding summer schools again this year, in August.

Be aware that the senior course is already full for female students :( , if you are interested in the junior course I would not leave it too long.

Morning all, 

ENBS Course A (15/19yrs). Advice/information would be appreciated. 

1) Any successful recommendations for Self-catering accommodation that previous students with a guardian have stayed at during the course. Trying to book and would like to stay within walking distance of the school. 

2) I understand we will receive info closer to the date but would appreciate, again from students with experience, what an average day consists of. An example of a previous timetable would be fab. 

3) Will there be strict list of 'uniform' requirements sent out of just a guide to clothing/shoes and equipment needed? 

4) Is there a canteen/cafe at the school or is it brought in packed lunches? 

And anything else that could help both my DD and I at the mo. We are obviously delighted with being offered a place but sought of left in limbo until June when further info will be sent out. 

Thank you  :)

From 24th  to 29th July 2017

NATALIA KREMEN BALLET SCHOOL is running a “NK Summer Intensive Course in London Based on Vaganova Method”, offering classes in Classical Ballet, Ballet Repertoire, Character Dance, Pointe Work, History of Ballet, Pilates / Stretching and Contemporary at RAMBERT STUDIO, Southbank, London.

​This year faculty will include

NATALIA KREMEN (Bolshoi Ballet Academy, ENB),

ISABELLE CIAROVOLA (prima-ballerina, Paris Opera),

ROBERTA MARQUEZ (prima-ballerina, Royal Ballet),

ALEXANDER MUNTAGIROV (People's Artist of Russia, professor, member of the art council of "BALLET" magazine),

ANASTASIA YATSENKO (Bolshoi Ballet Academy, Bolshoi Theatre),

ALEXANDER ZAITSEV (Bolshoi Ballet Academy, Principal, Stuttgart Ballet),

SIMONETTA BARZANTI-DIXON (dance critic and co-founder of BalletcoForum).

​Don't miss the great opportunity to learn from these wonderful masters of ballet!

For more information please visit: http://nkballetschool.com/summerschool.html

email: info@nkballetschool.com or phone 020 7993 1102

• Like 1

Morning all, 

ENBS Course A (15/19yrs). Advice/information would be appreciated. 

1) Any successful recommendations for Self-catering accommodation that previous students with a guardian have stayed at during the course. Trying to book and would like to stay within walking distance of the school. 

2) I understand we will receive info closer to the date but would appreciate, again from students with experience, what an average day consists of. An example of a previous timetable would be fab. 

3) Will there be strict list of 'uniform' requirements sent out of just a guide to clothing/shoes and equipment needed? 

4) Is there a canteen/cafe at the school or is it brought in packed lunches? 

And anything else that could help both my DD and I at the mo. We are obviously delighted with being offered a place but sought of left in limbo until June when further info will be sent out. 

Thank you  :)

Hi Ballet Bean, my dd has done the Course B several times. We live within daily commuting distance so can't answer your questions about accommodation. However, Ican say that there is absolutely no catering at the school during the holiday course so you will need to bring all food and drink for the day. There is a Tesco Express round the corner but that's about it locally. Also they are (quite rightly) very strict about not letting under 16s leave the building. Its a pleasant walk to South Kensington (or there are plenty of buses) where you can while away the time at one of the many museums. Do think about what you are going to be doing as there isn't anywhere on school premises for parents to wait. The B course ran from around 10 to 4 each day with a 'sharing of work' for the parents on the afternoon of the last day. Its just a guide for clothing: leotards, tights, flats and pointes. Also most of the girls had practice skirts. They were also asked to bring a small note book but don't think dd ever wrote anything in it. Its a very international course and dancers come from all over the world. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Uh oh....just realised I never got round to sending in application....guess we'll never know if place would have been offered but at least spared the worry of just how do I propose this idea to Hubbie let alone pay for course/accommodation & logistically arrange :o Every cloud....!!

• Like 3

Anyone else with ENB results?  We got week 2 but had requested week 1 (I knew that might happen) hoping that if DD and her friend both got a place they could go together - we are sharing holiday childcare.  She got her week 1 but they are both already booked for elsewhere for the dates of week 2.  Anyone been able to swap a week before?

Is there a wait list as another friend with a no was wondering if this was a straight no or if there was any chance of a place if people don't accept.  We know of one DD who has been offered week 1 but has RBS the week before so they have decided not to accept. Hoping there is some movement.

• Like 1

Anyone else with ENB results?  We got week 2 but had requested week 1 (I knew that might happen) hoping that if DD and her friend both got a place they could go together - we are sharing holiday childcare.  She got her week 1 but they are both already booked for elsewhere for the dates of week 2.  Anyone been able to swap a week before?

Is there a wait list as another friend with a no was wondering if this was a straight no or if there was any chance of a place if people don't accept.  We know of one DD who has been offered week 1 but has RBS the week before so they have decided not to accept. Hoping there is some movement.

Hi, My DD was offered 1 & 2 for Course A, Now trying to source (affordable) accommodation. Sorry can't help you on the other issue of waiting lists. Totally new to all this.   ;)

Elia - just to clarify Hammond has 2 SS this year. One which is open to all levels and is all types of dance and a new ballet one for this year which has set a level of Intermediate ballet and above. Hope that helps.

Thank you sarahw, I believe that Hammond is a great School, but as far as I can see from the site looks more advanced. Although, one can never be sure. 

Thank you anyways

I have only just found about the new Hammond Ballet Summer School.  It sounds very different to the general dance summer school which as Sarah says covers al styles of dance and is open to all abilities.

I am thinking it might be worth starting a separate thread highlighting this one for Elia's benefit the Intensive Ballet School is for Intermediate and above Level dancers which would generally mean dancers aged at least 12 years old who have been en pointe (in the case of girls) for at least 1 year.

You can find a list of the steps a dancer of that level would be expected to be capable of on the RAD website https://www.rad.org.uk/achieve/exams/what-we-do/rules-regulations-and-specifications under Intermediate Foundation and Intermediate.    This is just a guide to the level expected.

The leaflet advertising the course states

The programme will comprise a daily two-hour ballet class, followed by classes in pointework, solo repertoire, and supported adage. Each class will be

accompanied by one of our world-class pianists, and students will be given the opportunity to learn new work, make new friends and establish new contacts under the guidance of a highly-qualified Hammond ballet mistress.

Students completing this course will have been professionally coached in at least one advanced level solo which they can use for auditions or appropriate level dance competitions.

Hammond is great but more advanced for my dd level. But it is good to keep it in mind for the future. It looks really great and diverse. Thank you very much

I posted it on a separate thread, but thought I would share it here too. New summer intensive coaching programme in Prague:

“Prague Ballet Intensive (PBI) provides a high quality pre-professional and professional international ballet coaching program, coached by the experienced principal dancers, teachers and choreographers, from the top European, Russian and North American ballet companies.

PBI participants will spend 11 working days and over 80 intensive hours of gyrokinesis, ballet classes, variations, pas de deux and contemporary concluded with yoga class each evening.

PBI is specially created for (pre)professional and professional dancers aged 16 – 25 years old.

A full schedule of training for all participants ensures individual attention and intensive training for every participant.

You will receive corrections and coaching to raise your technique and artistry to the next level and prepare you for the world stage of ballet performances.

By the end of PBI pas de deux and variations will be filmed (upon request) and later on given to our attendees for the purpose of future auditions or self-critique.

Our goal is to spend an even amount of time with each attendee during all our classes, therefore places in our course will be LIMITED.

We are also excited to introduce to you Marianna Khidirova as our pianist for PBI 2017.

Join us this summer and be prepared work with a passionate team.. we look forward to meeting you!

Jiří Jelínek and PBI Team”

http://www.pragueballetintensive.com/

Edited by Sonya

Hello Sonya,

If you are associated with this course could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile as specified in the Acceptable Use Policy

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via My Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum. Sending promotional “mailshot” messages to other users is not allowed."

Thanks for the information.  The faculty sounds fantastic and Prague is such a beautiful city.

Hello Sonya,

If you are associated with this course could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile as specified in the Acceptable Use Policy

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via My Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum. Sending promotional “mailshot” messages to other users is not allowed."

Thanks for the information.  The faculty sounds fantastic and Prague is such a beautiful city.

Dear Janet,

Thank you for letting me know. I don't have a commercial interest, I merely a supporter of the organiser of this course Jiri Jelinek. And since I have been following BalletcoForum a lot for the past few years, I thought it is good place to let people know about this great initiative. Apologies that it comes across commercial! I would be happy to add a signature If you think I should.  

Edited by Sonya
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Following on from the on the discussion on the Lower Schools post about the over egging of 100% scholarships for vocational school I have just come across a dance school which is celebrating summer school places at open summer schools alongside those which require audtions/photo applications such as Elmhurst and Royal - need I say more!

YBSS results coming out already after the London audition.  I know of definite 'no's' and some full scholarships.  I am still waiting to hear.  Maybe on a 'possible list' and now have to wait for the York auditions to hear if a yes or no.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amos73 said:

I know of definite yeses, without scholarship so I think various  results are out. Dd didn't get a scholarship but has a place so is very happy 

When did you find out dd got a place?  TOday?

3 hours ago, Waitingmum said:

I was thinking that - they must divide the scholarships between the 2 locations?!

I would have thought that once all auditions are over, then places would be awarded?

51 minutes ago, Waitingmum said:

Also know of one dd who has been told she has to wait until York scholarships have been handed out to find out if she has one from London audition. 

Still waiting also , hopefully it won't be too long after they have seen everybody in York .  Good luck to those also still waiting 

• Like 1