hoglett

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 16 (going on 30!) with strong ideas about certain things and this is one of them - I texted him about it and to my surprise he said he will think about it - he's happy to audition in person just not via video/photo. Just think the teachers look wonderful. He loves Brandon Lawrence, it might sway him.

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 2

Shocked and happy all rolled into one. 

First time ever applying;-

Waiting list email for RBS SS on Friday

Offer of a place at ENBS SS today.

Head is all over the place, have to put the kettle on and sit down.  :)

• Like 10

He's 16 (going on 30!) with strong ideas about certain things and this is one of them - I texted him about it and to my surprise he said he will think about it - he's happy to audition in person just not via video/photo. Just think the teachers look wonderful. He loves Brandon Lawrence, it might sway him.

Out of idle curiosity, why does he object to video applications? I absolutely agree re photos as they don’t actually show applicant’s dancing, just striking a pose, but I thought the video was a move in the right direction from YBSS. 

• Like 1

Out of idle curiosity, why does he object to video applications? I absolutely agree re photos as they don’t actually show applicant’s dancing, just striking a pose, but I thought the video was a move in the right direction from YBSS. 

This is interesting, as my dd decided against applying for ybss this year, for the same reason. 

Just for summer schools. Happy to audition in person, happy to send videos off for company selection. He objects for such selective criteria for summer schools. He loves Malvern and OPES where the standard is very high but done on a first come first serve basis - I think it's a bit of a shame as he could miss out on some lovely opportunities to learn under some interesting people but he is adamant. I think he will feel differently when he's one year away from conpnany auditions as he would like to do Prague master classes next year, although we will see nearer the time.

• Like 1

Harwel, such a shame that your ds won't do a video for YBSS, it is a fantastic summer school. The teachers are wonderful and the environment is incredibly supportive and inclusive. I was so emotional last year, that after 7 years dd won't be going any more :(

Harwel, such a shame that your ds won't do a video for YBSS, it is a fantastic summer school. The teachers are wonderful and the environment is incredibly supportive and inclusive. I was so emotional last year, that after 7 years dd won't be going any more :(

I did this ss twice when I was a student, obviously it's changed since then but I am hopeful that he will consider it - I just have to tread lightly.

It does rather assume that an applicant has the facilities to make such a video. We do not. Summer school photos we have enough room in the kitchen or conservatory to take a few photos but nowhere with enough space to dance.

I suppose you could hire a space for an hour or two but that makes it a very expensive process.

• Like 2

It does rather assume that an applicant has the facilities to make such a video. We do not. Summer school photos we have enough room in the kitchen or conservatory to take a few photos but nowhere with enough space to dance.

I suppose you could hire a space for an hour or two but that makes it a very expensive process.

Also more and more requirements on parents to organise things. Teachers will not have the time to do this for their students, as you say, hiring a hall costs money. Most parents don't know enough to get good angles for photos and videos. It leads to a 2 tier summer school system which has little to do with ability (now I sound like my ds and he has a point!). Oddly none of these things applies to my ds - at vocational school, mother who was a dancer and a grandmother who has a dance studio - but he can see this doesn't seem fair.

• Like 9

Hi everyone, 

I am Elia, new to the forum. I am interested in finding a SS for my daughter, who is 12.  I thought of it rather late, is there any application dates still open in London area or elsewhere that I can apply. I checked on OPES which sent the application form already but I am totally unaware of the procedure. Are there any photos included in the application form, application form via post or email? I have also seen the RAD, the London and Devon SS. The Devon offers the residential also which would be a nice experience. Does anyone has any suggestion/advice/opinion for any of the SS?

:)

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi everyone, 

I am Elia, new to the forum. I am interested in finding a SS for my daughter, who is 12.  I thought of it rather late, is there any application dates still open in London area or elsewhere that I can apply. I checked on OPES which sent the application form already but I am totally unaware of the procedure. Are there any photos included in the application form, application form via post or email? I have also seen the RAD, the London and Devon SS. The Devon offers the residential also which would be a nice experience. Does anyone has any suggestion/advice/opinion for any of the SS?

:)

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Welcome to the forum Elia, OPES is a first come first served summer school & the only photo required on the application is a passport photo. My dd is doing it this year for the first & we got a confirmation email about a week after we sent the form off

• Like 1

Hi Elia, what standard of dance is your dd? Does she do just ballet or other types as well? How far would you travel?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will send ASAP to the OPES. 

She also does contemporary, as for the level I believe that she is in an intermediate. We currently live in Greece so, she is not formally in any system. Her teachers are not RAD certified, either the school. Would that be a problem for an overseas student to apply in Britain?

I'm not sure if it is too late to apply for YBSS? There is also Northern Ballet (Leeds) and I think Northern Ballet School (Manchester), plus Ballet West in Scotland and York Scholars' summer school. I don't know if these are full or the application closing dates etc.

• Like 2

We currently live in Greece so, she is not formally in any system. Her teachers are not RAD certified, either the school. Would that be a problem for an overseas student to apply in Britain?

No, not a problem at all. Many overseas students apply to train in the UK, so the schools are familiar with other systems of training.

I would agree with taxi that it won't be a problem at all.

In fact I'm almost sure that one of the directors of OPES regularly works/teaches in Greece so will be familiar with the type of training systems over there.

Thank you all so much, 

but how do they select an overseas student? This worries me, since in the application for OPES asks for examinations, boards etc.? The same with the RAD as far as I remember. Does anyone know?

Young Dancers Academy are holding a summer school at their lovely studios in West London - non-residential.

Marianne, have you heard anything about this School. London interests me the most. I will check this out. Thank you

The Hammond have a new ballet intensive this summer. They're in Chester in the north west and residential.

Thank you for the suggestion. I know nothing of any ballet school in Britain. I have seen your forum and learned a lot from it. So I am totally unaware of all these companies, summer schools, dancing schools etc. The Hammond also looks quite good, but do you know about its standards.

Elia many of these SS are not selective so level not important for getting in. I think you would be able to discuss her level with the SS so they know which class to put her in.

The Hammond SS has set a high level for entry - they are very friendly and I'm sure they would discuss with you.

Is your dd on pointe yet? She may be a little young for the Hammond course..

Elia - it is a full time vocational school for 11-16 year olds, but the holiday courses take younger students too. It's a non-syllabus school so no need to worry about RAD grades. Although, I think most of the summer schools recommended on this thread are used to taking students from non-syllabus backgrounds (UK & overseas).