hoglett

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I would love people on my ballet Boost Summer Course I do feel its only fair to say that its vital these dancers have some rest time. They learn a lot about their bodies through rest and regaining fitness in preparation for back to school in Sept. managing their fitness is a vital lesson in surviving life as a dancer. Constant training will end in tears and injury. So have a great summer, choose a couple of courses wisely and enjoy the rest!!

• Like 7

Masters of Ballet Summer School is worth looking at for the pure calibrate of teaching staff. In this list they give a short career synopsis. The Summer School is held at Sadlers Wells.

Their website is www.mastersofballet.org

Faculty

Galina Enikeeva - Head Teacher of Junior Ballet Classes at the Vaganova Ballet Academy and coach of stage practice for students at the Marriinsky Theatre.

Elena Glurdjidze - former Lead Principal of English National Ballet, Best Female Dancer Awards, International Guest Teacher.

Irek Mukhamedov OBE- currently Principal Ballet Master and Character Artist at English National Ballet, former Principal of Bolshoi Ballet (Moscow) and Royal Ballet (London).

Meelis Pakri - former ballet teacher at the Royal Ballet Upper School, he was also Principal at the Estonian National Ballet (Tallinn), and the Colorado Ballet (USA). He also served as a guest teacher at Estonian National Ballet and numerous other schools. Curently teaching at The Harid Conservatory (USA).

Olga Semenova- currently teaching at English National Ballet School and Central School of Ballet. Former ballet teacher at the Vaganova Ballet Academy and Ballet Mistress of European Ballet, New English Ballet Company, Honorary Member of Association of Russian Ballet & Theatre Arts, Honorary Advisor of Vaganova Method at Hong Kong Youth Ballet Academy.

​Agnes Oaks CBE- Ballet repettiteur at the Estonian National Opera and former Lead Principal of English National Ballet.

Sara Knight- Artistic Director of SLK (New York), Co-Founder of the Greenwich Ballet Academy (USA), former guest Soloist and teacher at Boston Ballet Company (USA), former guest Soloist of Northern Ballet Theatre (UK).

• Like 2

Just go for it ! My lovely DS is 16, a lovely dancer but currently stands about 5 foot 6....I'm a bit of a midget and am concerned that he won't grow much more. Ballet companies seem to be looking for taller boys. All the best for your DS Harwel. x

Ellie - Please don't stress too much. Every company needs its 'white rabbit' for Alice in wonderland o r 'Puck' etc!! Many smaller boys working well you just may not see them in the press releases!!!

As an absolute non-dancer all I can say is that the majority of my favourite dancers have been on the shorter side of tall.  The two companies I follow have dancers of a variety of heights and long may that continue!

• Like 2

Hi Stirrups36, I checked out the SIBA website and it looks amazing. I was also intrigued to see that the age range is 14 to 30 years. Do you know what level(s) they are pitching at and whether it is primarily aimed at vocational students? Thanks

Hi Stirrups36, I checked out the SIBA website and it looks amazing. I was also intrigued to see that the age range is 14 to 30 years. Do you know what level(s) they are pitching at and whether it is primarily aimed at vocational students? Thanks

They have a variety of students, not that many over 20. most between 14 and 20. Not all vocational either. It is truly international and my DS (who did his first one there at 14, which is probably the very lowest age limit really) has made loads of friends from it around the world. Great teaching as well.

My daughter went to a dance course at Arcachan,  France last summer. http://www.stagedansearcachon.com/en/stage-arcachon/. it is an international summer school with teachers from the Paris Opera and Bordeaux Opera ( Elisabeth platel. Charles Jude, Claire- Marie Osta etc..... She is going again this year. There is no residential accommodation but plenty of places to stay, as it is by the sea and very beautiful. We stayed at a campsite nearby. The teaching is excellent. They have classes for all levels. The advanced classes were amazing. My daughter went to the moyen (intermediate level).

They have a variety of students, not that many over 20. most between 14 and 20. Not all vocational either. It is truly international and my DS (who did his first one there at 14, which is probably the very lowest age limit really) has made loads of friends from it around the world. Great teaching as well.

My dd did this last year and as a result is now working in Austria - it is a fantastic summer school with an amazing faculty . There were some older students - my dd was 20 but there were older and younger of course.

The show at the end is well worth visiting Munich and Salzburg for and it is set in a beautiful safe setting. Please feel free to pm with any questions.

• Like 2

My dd did this last year and as a result is now working in Austria - it is a fantastic summer school with an amazing faculty . There were some older students - my dd was 20 but there were older and younger of course.

The show at the end is well worth visiting Munich and Salzburg for and it is set in a beautiful safe setting. Please feel free to pm with any questions.

Yes, I am happy to answer PMs as well. And we combined pickups with family holiday for a year or two (this will be DSs 4th time there!). Take a look at the YouTube channel as there are loads of videos, of the teaching as well as the shows. So you can see pretty much exactly how it is.

As you can tell, we have nothing but praise, with some caveats I suppose. We were worried the first day he phoned us, walking round on his own on the campus area on his own at 14 years old. But everything was fine. That year, he ended up sharing a suite of rooms with 3 lads including a 24 year old soloist (now principal) with a US company! Not sure that would have happened anywhere else! But great experience.

• Like 2

Could anyone recommended any good summer schools in the North West please? We live near Chester so I was initially hoping to send my dd to the Hammond one but they only take them from 10 years old and she will only be 9. Needs to be driving distance if possible as don't think she would stay away from home and challenging as she is quite advanced for her age (RAD Grade 3 and an RBS JA). Thank you in advance.

Could anyone recommended any good summer schools in the North West please? We live near Chester so I was initially hoping to send my dd to the Hammond one but they only take them from 10 years old and she will only be 9. Needs to be driving distance if possible as don't think she would stay away from home and challenging as she is quite advanced for her age (RAD Grade 3 and an RBS JA). Thank you in advance.

I would contact Hammond. They may well consider allowing your daughter, especially as she would be non-residential. Worth asking anyway!

Has anyone heard from ENBS Summer School yet for Course A?

Having just looked at the website, it said that confirmation of places will be made within 4 weeks of closing dates. See below (copy and paste from page) 

Applications are now being accepted and must be received by the following deadlines:

Summer Course A: February 10 2017

Summer Course B: February 24 2017

Applicants will receive a reply from us within four weeks of the above deadlines.

Hope that helps   ;)

• Like 1

Some people have had emails this week, at least for Course A. If you have a burning need to know, such as travel arrangements etc I would not be afraid to contact them they are very friendly.

Just a query about YBSS. My ds never been, he has always refused point blank to apply to any summer school which is selective based on photos/video....

Anyway, if he applies for a scholarship via audition, do we still have to apply with a video? Seems as if it would not be necessary but it's not clear.

Hi Harwel - application for YBSS was uptil this year by photo (video now replaces photos) so yes you do still send in video and application form, plus application form for scholarship audition to attend either London or York audition. Hope that helps.

Thank you. That's out then, he will refuse!!!