hoglett

Okay,I know what you're thinking. ..I just wanted to know when places release their dates. We missed everything this year due to holidays and I've promised DD she can go next year but I also like to book our holidays in advance. Thank you.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most summer schools seem to be in the first 4 weeks of the school holidays, or even a week or 2 before they break up. We booked our family holiday for this year ages in advance, booked for last 2 weeks of summer holidays. Dd still managing to fit in 4 weeks of summer schools!

• Like 1

Thanks. We waited with bated breath for ages as she applied for Youth Music Theatre and several of their productions would have clashed with our holiday this year. She didn't get in which in retrospect was fabulous as she got into EYB but that meant there were several summer schools she couldn't do either due to finances and time! I'm thinking of getting a separate diary for ballet and auditions, never mind school shows!

• Like 2

I do think summer schools great & necessary (for some (& I also appreciate ideal for DC of working parents) but I do also think down time & chance to be kids is needed....4 weeks if SS seems excessive.....& expensive!!! Mind you, at times of sibling battles it does become a whimsical wish!!

4 weeks summer schools for a 17/18 year old is probably what they have to do. 8 weeks holiday is no good for a training body. We are thinking about ss now for next year as at senior level it's so important to get the right mix of training, time off and fun. Going to have to start saving now as ds wants to go abroard next year!

• Like 5

Agree it drpends on the age of the child & their level of training.

Vocational schools often break up the first or second week of July. Compare that to our locsl dance school who broke up last week of July

Dd will have done 2 residential weeks plus a weekly open ballet & a conditioning class except she is 14

At age 11 she would maybe do 1 week residential & 1 week local dance school.

I do think summer schools great & necessary (for some (& I also appreciate ideal for DC of working parents) but I do also think down time & chance to be kids is needed....4 weeks if SS seems excessive.....& expensive!!! Mind you, at times of sibling battles it does become a whimsical wish!!

Couldn't afford to even consider full time voc school, so 4 weeks summer school is our way of maximising dd’s chances of successfully auditioning for a good upper school in less than 18 months time. It seems quite common for girls of her age and with her ambition to do this much. And of course, she loves every single minute of it.

• Like 3

Going to have to start saving now as ds wants to go abroard next year!

Sounds very exciting. What does this entail in reality? Do you mean abroad for Summer school...is this normal? My DD wants to dance all the time and I sometimes worry that my lack of knowledge and where to find out all the info may mean she misses some fabulous opportunity.

• Like 1

Going to have to start saving now as ds wants to go abroard next year!

Sounds very exciting. What does this entail in reality? Do you mean abroad for Summer school...is this normal? My DD wants to dance all the time and I sometimes worry that my lack of knowledge and where to find out all the info may mean she misses some fabulous opportunity.

Same here! Dd only did her first sumer school aged 13 because I was so clueless! We’re making up for it now though :) Finding this forum very helpful, and also I follow lots of dance schools and upper schools on Facebook. Once you start ‘liking’ ballet school pages, FB suggests other good ones, so before you know it you have tons of information coming at you! 

• Like 1

Same here! Dd only did her first sumer school aged 13 because I was so clueless! We’re making up for it now though :) Finding this forum very helpful, and also I follow lots of dance schools and upper schools on Facebook. Once you start ‘liking’ ballet school pages, FB suggests other good ones, so before you know it you have tons of information coming at you!

Have just 'liked'loads on FB. I agree this forum is fabulous . I now need to get a huge notebook to write everything down !

• Like 1

Have just 'liked'loads on FB. I agree this forum is fabulous . I now need to get a huge notebook to write everything down !

That's what I started doing yesterday. I've noted the names, minimum age, residential or not, and whether they're predominantly ballet or mixed dance.

• Like 3

That's what I started doing yesterday. I've noted the names, minimum age, residential or not, and whether they're predominantly ballet or mixed dance.

Glad I'm not the only one! Sleeping,eating and going to work to pay for it all gets in the way though doesn't it?!

• Like 1

There are some very high standard summer schools abroard which can only be attended from age 14 or 16. They can be connected to a voccational school (Amsterdam or Dresden) or held by top professional dancers (Prague master classes). It gives the students attending a sense of the international competition for jobs and gives them experience of dancing in a foreign country, which is good experience for auditioning abroad as probably 95% of ballet school graduates will have to do. It is not essential, as there are plenty of high level summer schools in this country. However, going abroad can be a valuable experience.

• Like 4

There are some very high standard summer schools abroard which can only be attended from age 14 or 16. They can be connected to a voccational school (Amsterdam or Dresden) or held by top professional dancers (Prague master classes). It gives the students attending a sense of the international competition for jobs and gives them experience of dancing in a foreign country, which is good experience for auditioning abroad as probably 95% of ballet school graduates will have to do. It is not essential, as there are plenty of high level summer schools in this country. However, going abroad can be a valuable experience.

and for some parents of dc it can be the only way of fitting in a foreign holiday.

Going abroad is not necessarily more expensive than UK summer schools - even with flights.  Boys, have a look at SIBA for very good deals.  My son went to Denmark aged 16 travelling solo and had a ball, celebrated his 18th in Salzburg.  Also, fantastic practice for auditions and competitions abroad. And  helps to broaden our children's horizons.

Another point: I think there is a tendency to assume we "must" plan for multiple summer schools. My son certainly did all his growing during the summer when he was NOT dancing, but swimming, biking,gyming  and running (and I know there is a whole other conversation to be had on these forms of exercise).  Literally put on 5 inches  one year.  He says he wouldn't be the strapping 6 foot he has now reached if he had danced all through the holidays.  

• Like 6

taxi4ballet (and anyone else!)

Just to make clear I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with doing multiple weeks, I just sometimes look back and think I was bounced into it, by assuming "everyone else" was.  As you say, different things are needed at different times, depending on general training, upcoming events, and general health and wellbeing.

Because my son graduated this year, and so finished early, he has done multiple summer schools to make sure he is fully fit for the next stage of his life - other years he has done very little.

• Like 1

I spoke to highly respected and experienced dance physio recently about this who said she felt it was important for DC to have down-time over the summer holidays, she said exactly what your DS said Meadowblythe, they grow over the summer if they have time to rest. She also said there is a risk of over training if the DC don't get some time off. Her opinion was a week or two of good quality summer school and some open classes was more than enough for DD who is 11 and going into year 7 at vocational school in September.

I can see how the value of doing summer schools abroad as well, plus in year before applying for upper schools can imagine important to do more. Apart from anything else we can't afford to do any more than we are with all the costs associated with full time training!

• Like 2

taxi4ballet (and anyone else!)

Just to make clear I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with doing multiple weeks, I just sometimes look back and think I was bounced into it, by assuming "everyone else" was.  As you say, different things are needed at different times, depending on general training, upcoming events, and general health and wellbeing.

Because my son graduated this year, and so finished early, he has done multiple summer schools to make sure he is fully fit for the next stage of his life - other years he has done very little.

Yeah, I agree with you, my dd would always do everything she could fit in (and we had the money for) - although this year it's dawned on her that rest is what she needs this time round.

Ha, my lads doing 2 weeks summer school this year - better book him in for more, as at 6'3'' I don't want him growing any more

Just go for it ! My lovely DS is 16, a lovely dancer but currently stands about 5 foot 6....I'm a bit of a midget and am concerned that he won't grow much more. Ballet companies seem to be looking for taller boys. All the best for your DS Harwel. x

I am aware this is heading off track but Ellie, don't give up - I still have all the dates and marks on the door where my son obsessively measured himself over the years.  I don't think he had his first growth spurt until he was just 16 and boys keep growing until about 20 (sorry Harwel, better book a few more summer schools!)

A friend currently dancing for the Hamburg ballet was not much taller at 16 - now tops 6 foot 2.

• Like 2

I am aware this is heading off track but Ellie, don't give up - I still have all the dates and marks on the door where my son obsessively measured himself over the years. I don't think he had his first growth spurt until he was just 16 and boys keep growing until about 20 (sorry Harwel, better book a few more summer schools!)

A friend currently dancing for the Hamburg ballet was not much taller at 16 - now tops 6 foot 2.

Thanks Meadowblythe ????! He has grown 6 inches over the last 2 years but only 1 this last year, so I'm ever hopeful it's stopped (stopping). His cousin who is a medical student always tells him he'll keep growing till he's 20 - fine I say, as long as it's only 1/2 a centimetre.

All good news for your son though Ellie. Also, there are loads of smaller men in our British companies.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can someone help me with OPES summer School dates please? I wanted to book my DD for week 2 (I think) but their website doesn't work since before Christmas. Or is it just me who can't get it to work? It is asking me for a "guest password"? I did contact then through FB and Olivia said they will sort it out but it's still not fixed and I need to know the dates.

Edited to ask - do you think that OPES SS is as good/challenging for vocational students as YBSS or Masters of Ballet?

Edited by Happymum

I had an email off her this morning saying they're working on getting the website fixed. The following information is what has been posted on Facebook

Apologies about our website. I think people are trying to access certain areas and cannot get any information. We are dealing with this and forms and information will be hopefully be available from 1st January 2017.

Lots of you have been asking for our dates for 2017 so here they are for the time being.

Week 1- 30th July-4th August

Week 2- 6th August-13th August

Week 3-13th August- 19th August

Thank you all so much for your patience. X

I had an email off her this morning saying they're working on getting the website fixed. The following information is what has been posted on Facebook

Apologies about our website. I think people are trying to access certain areas and cannot get any information. We are dealing with this and forms and information will be hopefully be available from 1st January 2017.

Lots of you have been asking for our dates for 2017 so here they are for the time being.

Week 1- 30th July-4th August

Week 2- 6th August-13th August

Week 3-13th August- 19th August

Thank you all so much for your patience. X

Thanks so much...thought it was just me who couldn't get it to work! Is OPES good for DD who wants classical,contemporary, tap etc...

Thanks x

I can't see this on their FB page...do they have more than one?!