Associate courses

Blahblah

Hi, I am after a bit of advice. My daughter has been offered a year 6 place on Elmhurst associates, but it is quite a distance to travel and her dance teacher thinks that she will not gain more than she will lose doing the course because she will have to stop modern and tap lessons which are on a Saturday morning.

Congratulations on the place. I can see why your DD teacher has felt the need to point out what she's going to miss but in the big scheme of things I would say ( and there's more qualified people on here to correct me) you should all be shouting from the rooftops! This is Elmhurst and competition is high. What does your DD think about missing the other lessons? We all know it's best to be an all rounder but I would really think hard before giving up the place. Plus,surely you knew how far it was to travel before you auditioned. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 3

You are quite right hoglett, I did realise how far it was, but I assumed as many of us do that there was very little chance of her being offered a place on the course and the auditions themselves are such good experience. The children get to see how tough the competition is and see what dancing in a real dance studio is like. I feel that it is only a year and that it may be worth the upset and early mornings for 30 weeks just for her to have this experience.

• Like 5

A tricky decision too much. We have made the decision to do long travels to 2 Associate Schemes in the past. One was high quality in a small class and definitely worth it. One was a large class and in retrospect i wouldnt do it again. The decision was easyish as dd is ballet obssessed and now going to vocational school.

If you dd really loves ballet she may accept dropping the other classes. If not then maybe leave it. It would be a great experience and I'm sure a child of that ability could catch up on the modern/tap at a later date.

Finally if you feel you have made the wrong decision by attending have the confidence to leave - wish we had done!

I would definitely take the associates place. If your local dance teacher can’t accommodate tap and modern at another time during the week, perhaps by skipping up a grade, I’d look for alternative local dance schools where your daughter could do tap and modern. There are plenty of decent tap and modern grade classes around, but Elmhurst associate places are special :)

• Like 8

Our daughter has been an Elmhurst Associate since Year 4 and has absolutely loved it every moment of it! She will also be in Year 6 in September. Definitely give it a go, at least! We travel 1.5 hours each way every Sat but dd has never not wanted to go (even though it means getting up at 6am) and she has gained so much from it. As others have said, Elmhurst is very special!

• Like 2

I would definitely take the associates place. If your local dance teacher can’t accommodate tap and modern at another time during the week, perhaps by skipping up a grade, I’d look for alternative local dance schools where your daughter could do tap and modern. There are plenty of decent tap and modern grade classes around, but Elmhurst associate places are special :)

Great advice - I agree wholeheartedly.

• Like 3

It would also allow Elmhurst a chance to really get to know your daughter should she want to audition later for the vocational school. I have to say your regular teachers comments leave a bitter taste in my mouth and makes me wonder does she want what is best for your daughter or maybe it's what is best for her school.

• Like 3

I have a vocational child at Elmhurst and one in associates who also takes modern and tap at her own stage school and competes etc etc.

I strongly advise that you make the decision based on what is best suited to the interests and development of your own child. Dance schools are often guilty of making parents feel that unless completely committed to them your child will not progress. As a previous post has pointed out modern and tap classes can be accomadated and sourced else where....where else do you source an Elmhurst associate place that she has earned?

Sorry I know this sounds opinionated but it frustrates me when parents are made to feel this way.

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Toomuch

Hope your dd enjoyed her Elmhurst class today, if you decided to take the place. Hopefully we might meet soon! My dd who is also in Year 6 is quite tall and blonde (and quiet!) so the girls may have met in class today. I may well have ds 8 with me next Saturday so if you spot me or dd do come and say hello!

Hi there ballet'n'broke! Lets look out for each other next week as dd is also in Year 6-see above! Lovely that she enjoyed the classes!

I would love that balletmummy but I teach on a Saturday's so my hubby will be dedicating his Saturday's to ballet, eek hope he doesn't get too grumpy with the hanging around ???? I'm hoping to get the last week off work so I can watch the end of term session, I'll be the stranger nobody has seen before who has no idea where I should be lol ????????????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Desperate for some advise, my dd is in y6 Elmhurst associate with Miss Howarth's and was asked last week to make a shopping list for this weeks class but as she was not on last years course she no idea what it is she should be doing? Is it a list of technique she would like to have, corrections she would like to fix, ingredients for a lasagne? Help please if anybody knows she's a little stressed to say the least! ????

• Like 1

I will ask my pupil, she was year 6 JA last year but I don't think she had Miss Howarth.

If no one come back with anymore info I would do a shopping list of technique she would like to fix and then speak to Miss Howarth and explain that although she didn't understand the homework she has had a guess and done a list of things she wants to improve. It's a useful task anyway as it gives your dd some goals and she has shown willing.

Ps if it's the Miss Howarth I'm thinking of, she is lovely she was my course mentor when I was 16

• Like 1

I will ask my pupil, she was year 6 JA last year but I don't think she had Miss Howarth.

If no one come back with anymore info I would do a shopping list of technique she would like to fix and then speak to Miss Howarth and explain that although she didn't understand the homework she has had a guess and done a list of things she wants to improve. It's a useful task anyway as it gives your dd some goals and she has shown willing.

Ps if it's the Miss Howarth I'm thinking of, she is lovely she was my course mentor when I was 16

Thank you so much Bluebird22 I really appreciate your advise ????

• 3 months later...