Strange Signs

taxi4ballet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Yaffa said:

I saw this guy on the news, going about his business at night, with a ladder and "sticky backed plastic." Reminded me of Blue Peter when they weren't allowed to advertise on the Beeb, so couldn't say Sellotape. I do agree that the abherrant apostrophe, which so used to vex the late Keith Waterhouse, is rather annoying. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of the language and how to use punctuation correctly. 

I used to be a bit of a stickler for correct English, but as I get older I find my grammar  deteriorating, mostly from laziness and being used to txtng abbreviations. Actually writing out whole sentences and punctuating them correctly is a bit of a chore now.  All errors are entirely my own. I hope Bristol Apostrophe Man never make's a mistake :ph34r:!

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a strange sign, exactly, but I was just having a wander round RightMove, and found a property where the bathroom has "vanished floorboards".  Step out of the bath and fall straight down into the room below? :D

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/08/2018 at 18:15, Yaffa said:

According to the airline's website, an area I'll be visiting for a stopover is 'known as one of the most futile plains of the world.' Oh well...

On 25/08/2018 at 20:05, taxi4ballet said:

What's the point in stopping there then?! 

:)

Maybe to take advantage of the kind offer of a cafe owner who wouldn't accept payment for filling my water bottle:  'It is our pleasure to liquidate you - no charge.' 

On a more serious note, I wish my language skills were a tenth as good as those of so many thoughtful people I have encountered on this and other amazing stopovers. 

Yaffa

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Yes Alison have got the leaflet ...which is an improvement at least but nevertheless the bus trip from Brighton to Three Bridges ( near Gatwick for non Sussex people) gets tiresome....it takes 40 mins and the last time I used it the bus broke down half way so had to sit in a lay-by till we were rescued! Then when you get to Three Bridges it can be packed and a bit chaotic as people have been bussed in from Lewes and Haywards Heath Burgess Hill et al!!

I am fascinated to see what is going to happen in February when they are closing that section of the line for ten days....including Monday to Friday ....how on earth will they get all the people up to London to get to work!  It's bad enough at the weekends when travelling is comparatively lighter....though not necessarily if there is a big event in in London!!

Dunno if this same billboard is around in the UK, but there's a really clever ad for J&B Scotch whisky (although I don't think I've seen it this year).

Nice Christmas scene, and the caption "ingle ells, ingle ells" followed by "Christmas isn't the same without J&B."

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Just been seeing in the New Year by watching the huge and spectacular London fireworks display on BBC television. As the programme starts, a message pops up on screen:

'This programme contains flashing images'

Well you could knock me down with a feather:)

(Happy New Year everybody)

• Like 6

Last night driving into a nearby village at the T junction there were two diversion signs, one pointing left the other right. Just round the corner there was another directing traffic back the way we had just come from. Further on in journey we encountered the workmen putting out the signs, they were placing one to take drivers yet another way. 

I wonder why I ignore any local diversion signs? 

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is one on Tollhouse Way (A457) in Smethwick. The sign the on the back of this one says the same thing. The road is a 4 lane dual carriage way, and I assume the signs are to direct cyclists on the new cycle path on the other side of the road, which I'm standing on to take the picture, although this makes no sense if you are coming the other way. I think a sign saying "use cycle path" would be better.

SDC11464

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Beside a section of roadworks on the M25 is a very worrying sign:

WARNING

ROADWORKS

DELAYS UNTIL SUMMER 2025

I mean - I know they get long traffic jams on that road, but surely not that long...?

Edited by taxi4ballet

• 10 months later...

I saw a sign while driving past a pub car park the other day. They are quite near a railway station and have presumably had trouble with commuters parking there in the past. Now I know what they were trying to say here, but...

CAMERA-CONTROLLED

CUSTOMERS ONLY

🤣

• Like 7