Strange Signs

taxi4ballet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh - I dimly remember a thing called butter!

A menu I recently read in an ethnic restaurant was divided into categories:

Beef

Seafood

Foul

Vegetarian

Dairy

I did not order from the "foul" section.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

In Puerto Pollensa many years ago I came across a sign outside a restaurant, advertising "Pizza with cheese and jam". I hope they meant ham!

Oh, and "Fishcaks and chip's" - outside an English Fish and Chip shop. The wayward apostrophe was bad enough, but I don't even want to know what's in a "Fishcak".

• Like 1

Many years ago there was a roundabout in our town which only had two exit roads signposted 'Town Centre' and 'All Other Routes'. Later a new road was built aiming to divert traffic around the town and this exit was signposted 'All Routes' so until someone realised and the signs were altered your options were 'Town Centre', 'All Routes' or 'All Other Routes'! I often wondered how people unfamiliar with the area reacted.

• Like 3

That sounds like the ring road in Huntingdon, I think it was, which was oddly signposted or something, so you'd find yourself attempting to head for the town centre and then suddenly find you were driving out of town!

• Like 1

Whilst on holiday in Crete severall years years ago, we happened on a taverna in a remote village offering 'Spleen Omlette Calf Pluckett' as a menu choice - ever since then 'Spleen Omlette' has become a standing joke as a menu choice for picky dinner guests!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's back - much to the amusement of dd and me as we drive past at this time of year...

A local garden centre advertising for Christmas has a prominent sign reading:

'Visit us before Santa visits you'

We can't help imagining it being said by Vinnie Jones or a Eastenders-style villainous type who adds the words 'or else!'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was dancing in Japan we were given a weekly "Western food list" to fill in. If there was something we wanted that wasn`t on the list we could request it for the following week. We were all sitting there very late in the middle of the night watching "Little House on The Prairie",the only programme on Japanese tv that was in the English language.! Suddenly I said ,"Do you know what I haven`t had for months and would give anything for right now? Beans on toast". Everyone else`s mouth watered at the thought of it too,as we were 5 months into our contract by then,so"deprived" of everyday things we used to take for granted. Anyway, for next week`s shopping list we asked for baked beans. Sorting through the box of food the hotel had left us,there were no tins of beans.There was,however,a large plastic food storage type bag with what looked like small pelletts inside. Attached to the side of the bag was the note which read, "Baked beans. To be baked by oneself." Needless to say ,we all waited until our contract had ended and we were back in the UK before we were able to have our lovely snack.!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...