Summer Schools 2016 feedback

BlueLou

SS are a struggle to do as finances stretched & also lots of family pressures which make travel/residential difficult. There seem to be lots if Midlands & Northern based SS but very few in the South West....in the past RAD did day SS at Pavillion Dance in Bournemouth - great studios, great location & pretty local for us :-) I do feel our area is lacking....I even think that it could sustain a full time vocational school! We have beaches & nice weather much of the time......could DrDance or TutuGitl or others be tempted to consider a trip down here? We'd make you very welcome & kids & parents would be so grateful!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 4

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SS are a struggle to do as finances stretched & also lots of family pressures which make travel/residential difficult. There seem to be lots if Midlands & Northern based SS but very few in the South West....in the past RAD did day SS at Pavillion Dance in Bournemouth - great studios, great location & pretty local for us :-) I do feel our area is lacking....I even think that it could sustain a full time vocational school! We have beaches & nice weather much of the time......could DrDance or TutuGitl or others be tempted to consider a trip down here? We'd make you very welcome & kids & parents would be so grateful!

Its like that here in West Wales, there are no residential courses (as far as I know) in Wales at all.  It takes me 2 1/2 hours drive to get to the border of Wales so everywhere is far to travel for us.

My dd is also at Tring this week. She has done many residentials there over the years but this time the timetable definitely has less ballet on it. It suits her as she loves contemporary and commercial. So on watching day I won't be watching ballet which will be quite odd. She is having a fantastic time though and is exhausted.

My Dd did RBS SS and just got home from Elmhurst SS.

This was 2nd year at RBS SS and really enjoyed. Standard was very high with many of the international students doing 30 hours a week plus of dance. Really super to watch on the last day with so much talent although probably slightly prefer the lay out of the year before. DD had a great time at Elmhurst too with 21 in a group. Her group only did ballet and rep which was perfect for her. Teaching was super apparently and the showing of work for parents was lovely. 

• Like 1

My dd is just back from Elmhurst & she had a wonderful time. There were 21 in her group & she said all of the teachers were brilliant & she thoroughly enjoyed all of her classes. She was in the youngest group & for the showing of work done ballet repertoire & jazz which I was impressed by. I found all of the other groups work really enjoyable to watch too & the showing of work seemed to fly by. I thought the school had a lovely friendly atmosphere & the introduction by Robert Parker was very welcoming & encouraging. This was dd's first residential summer school & as a parent I thought it was a good length for her but I think she would have loved it to be longer. She went knowing no one & has came home with lots of new friends. All in all a great summer school experience & she would definitely love to do this one again

• Like 1

There's vocational college coming to the Hampshire/Berkshire border for 16+ that I just know will be phenomenal- details aren't out yet but I'll post on forum when I have more info.

I know exactly what you mean about being space in the market down here.

• Like 2

There's vocational college coming to the Hampshire/Berkshire border for 16+ that I just know will be phenomenal- details aren't out yet but I'll post on forum when I have more info.

Post 16 education seems to be a minefield at the moment - more and more options springing up for training but unfortunately seemingly less and less jobs for graduates. I think it's really sad for our kids but also sad for the parents trying to fund the dreams with small prospects of a "living wage" at the end of it all. Training establishments have never had it so good imo or am I being cynical?

• Like 4

Hello - DD attended week 2 of OPES and loved it. About 20 in her group (senior A). They were particularly good at making sure everyone felt welcome right at the beginning. Everyone in DD's dorm (about six girls) very friendly despite DD not knowing anyone there to start with. They had classes in ballet, contemporary and two repertoires. The end of week display was fantastic. DD definitely wants to go back next year.

• Like 2

My Dd Attended Tring SS and loved it . She was in a group which did more ballet than others .

Dd loved the tuition , house mistresses , food and everything involved .

I was very impressed with the variety of classes offered and the standard of the teacher on observation day . The certificates and extra awards were a nice touch st the end of the day too .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My DS went to NGDANCE Summer Intensive in Nottingham it was run by Joshua Ecob and Sophie Duncan training in Ballet and contemporary both Josh and Sophie were amazing my son learnt so much in a week they were both so inspirational and it was great to have a male ballet teacher too. Highly recommend and have booked DS on the Autumn Intensive during October half term.

• Like 1

DD did Princesse Grace in Monaco. The standard was extremely high. It is a serious summer school whose raison d'etre is scouting talent for the year ahead- definitely not a money spinner or there as a bit of fun. SS highly organised and efficient and location is amazing but rooms are very hot at night. There is no air con.   

• Like 3

Hi all, 

I just thought I would add my feedback to a SS that my DD attended back in July. 

Ballet West in Taynuilt, Scotland. The most outstanding stunning location for a school, tucked in the back of beyond. Rather challenging to access though but that was a small price to pay when you have a school set in the most beautiful grounds.

Residential course with all students housed in safe secure accommodation on site. The over 15's in the chalets on the very long drive. The younger children shared rooms within the main house. All meals were served up in the main house. With wild deer seen trotting across the drive way! 

The teaching staff were outstanding, the care and pastoral support for all was amazing. It was my DD first residential trip without her fellow school friends with her and the support was so reassuring. Only a phone call away. 

Lessons were held in large purpose built bright and air conditioned studios set with in the gardens. Focus on ballet but also included Jazz/Contemporary. Age and RAD grade appropriate with a parents review at the end of the week.

A few of the full time students of the school were also in attendance as they were rehearsing for the up coming Genee but were just included in the review pieces at the end along with the other SS students. 

Would recommend anyone to consider this school for summer 2017 with 4 weeks on offer. A couple of overseas students stayed for 2 weeks and were cared for well by the staff when the gaps in the SS dates meant the school was otherwise empty for the weekends.  

I was amazed at what all the work that the students presented at the review with out and instruction or prompting by the staff. 

Certainly one to consider, my daughter can't wait to return. Even though it took one flight and a 2 hr drive to get there!! 

• Like 3

If you are looking for SS in France, my dd did the Theilaia Stage in Lyon this July 

http://www.academie-ballet.fr/stages-master-classes/theilaia-stage-international/

Although the class sizes are quite large (around 30 per class), the studios are air-conditioned and it is held at the CNSMD of Lyon. The dc are well looked after, and all the teachers are from either POB or CNSMD Paris/Lyon .

My dd was in the advanced 2 group and her day consisted of 2 ballet lessons (11/2hrs each), 2 repertoire lessons(11/2 hrs each), a character ((11/2 hrs) and a 'barre a sol' every day ! You can choose number of lessons per day. The prices are reasonable and you can watch any lesson you want throughout the week with a small fee.

The international SS of Biarritz is supposed to be very popular with POB/CNSMD students , dd wants to do it next year

• 6 months later...

My DD recently did the week at NKSS in Rambert Studios in Southbank.  She really enjoyed her entire time there despite 2 of the teachers requiring translators.  I think that added to the whole experience for her.  She really loved Natalia Kremen and the couple of the male teachers.  Interesting as she has never been taught by males before.  There was a mix of classes and teachers.

The only concern I had (that she didn't) was when she reported back to me she had done a whole class En Pointe... in ballet flats as she isn't in pointe shoes yet.  (the whole class was in same situ).  It was apparently great fun and perfectly fine as they were all holding the barre!  I'm not overly convinced this was a good thing but I am not dance trained at all.

The class demo on the Saturday showed how hard all the dancers had worked that week and some of the seniors REALLY stood out - I couldn't take my eyes off one particular dancer LOL

We would definitely look to do this one again.

I hope nobody minds me commenting on the long forgotten topic, just to clarify one thing, as some parents and children are still deciding which summer course to choose for the summer 2017. I am aware that there is a new topic on summer intensives this year. The Natalia Kremen Summer Course has of course a pointe work class in the summer school programme and if it happens that some of the students for whose age this class is intended are not yet on pointe, it is expected that they follow the class and exercise in their usual soft ballet shoes but they never go all the way on their toes, only on demi pointe. 

This year NK Summer Course is also held at Rambert Studios from 24th to 29th July. Among the teachers are Isabelle Ciarovola (Paris Opera), Roberta Marquez (Royal Ballet), Alexander Zaitsev (Stuttgart Ballet) and others.

Edited by Tykva

The Natalie Kremen sounds great but is it non residential?

Unfortunately, no. We've been doing this course since it was started. As we don't live in London, we have to look for a place nearby, using Airbnb site. This is an international summer school. Students come from all over the globe - Greece, Turkey, France, Romania, Russia, America and other places.