Rescuing pink tights

Katymac

DD has lots of pink ballet tights for college - they have no snags or ladders but they are grey, very very grey

I have put them all in a bucket of vanish - but how do I make they a decent colour again?

So far we have suggested beetroot or permanent red ink (but just a drop or two)

So how long do they soak for or should I add bleach too? I wondered about washing soda?

Can you tell I am lost?

The thing about using a food colouring as a dye is that you will need to somehow fix the dye in the fabric. Apparently pink/red dyes don't 'take' very well. I did some Googling last year when my dd had pink leotards that we washed by hand, and the water was bright pink afterwards every time.

Another suggestion - dye them all black instead, and buy new pink ones ;)

• Like 4

They have soaked overnight in vanish - some improvement

They are now in colour run remover

If I can get them light enough and not a shade of grey/brown then I won't bother about making them too pink but the grey has to go!!

Yes the normal dye is for natural fibres, so it would need to be a polyester dye (which is more expensive :rolleyes: )

They are in the washing machine now

They have been soaked in Vanish, then colour run remover then washing soda (remembering to rinse well in between as miing chemicals is never a good idea)

& they look remarkably pink, considering they have had no dye added - I may just leave them as they are with a new pair for exams/assessments?

• Like 3

Well I have ten good pairs, one excellent pair & one pair that disintegrated!!

Not a bad return on a mornings work :D

Individually I think each method wouldn't have worked but in sequence they were successful!

• Like 11

TBH the chocie was get them clean or buy new ones - I don't think you understand the shades of grey involved

& for those that like washed out - these would be approved of......def a pale shade of pink (but at least not beige or grey)

& finally domestic goddess I am not!! DH does all the washing, ironing & cleaning in this household :)  - I just step in for the more tricky situations :rolleyes:

If I did it again I think I'd start with the washing soda - it had the most effect imo & the others might not be necessary - but it is strong and I think it is what made that one pair disintergrate

• Like 4