English Youth Ballet 2017

Lemongirl

• 9 months later...

My DD did Giselle at Newcastle in Sept and doing Swan Lake in Sunderland in June. She absolutely loved every second of it. Doing EYB definitely was the deciding point for her wanting to audition for audition training. The staff are brilliant and she made lots of new friends (as did I). It does seem a lot of money but when you consider the hours off training they receive it's good value. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2016 at 15:35, Lemongirl said:

There are some new audition dates on their website.  They're coming back to Aylesbury next year which is good news for us!

Thanks Lemongirl for the heads up but I can only see Wolverhampton and Southsea in 'future audition dates' on their website - am I missing something?

My DD did EYB a couple of years ago. She was only 8 so it was quite full-on and tiring for her but she loved it and it really fuelled her love of ballet and performing.

The dates for the next season should be out within the next couple of months, and as there was no North West venue this season, you might be lucky next year. It used to be fairly predictable that EYB would return to the same area more or less alternate years but as its got more popular and they've started to go to lots more venues it seems rather more random. But if there is somewhere within reasonable travelling distance, it's a very worthwhile experience. My DD did it 4 times and got a lot out of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

They tend to stay outside of London, I have a feeling Wimbledon was a one off. DD has done it 3 times now and people regularly travel for up to 2 hours in order for their children to attend. 

Wow, I had assumed you needed to be close enough for after school rehearsals, but maybe I should look more closely at the timetable, as just weekends / holidays would make travel time much less of a problem.

1 hour ago, poodle said:

Confuddled, Dartford is not hard to get to from Central London either and rehearsals are in Sidcup...

Dartford takes ages from us, unfortunately, however you do it.

1 hour ago, LovetoDance2003 said:

I believe they went to Croydon 

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks!

We have looked this a few times and the format for rehearsal seemed to change with some focused on weekend and holiday times and others including after school hours and some even in school time.  It does look such a great opportunity for training as well as performance experience.  Just hoping one day that we can make it work for us and go for the audition.  I might just need to plan it around some annual leave for myself.  Does anyone know if schools treat this the same as allowing time off for dance exams?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Confuddled said:

Wow, I had assumed you needed to be close enough for after school rehearsals, but maybe I should look more closely at the timetable, as just weekends / holidays would make travel time much less of a problem.

It depends when the performances are. If they are in the holidays the rehearsals tend to be in blocks over 5 days, we have done that twice now. If the performances are during term time the rehearsals tend to be Friday after school, Saturday, Sunday, we have done that once. The only way to find out when the rehearsals are is to request audition information. There have been several that we have looked at where we could do the performances but not the rehearsals and more crucially not the casting day. 

I would all say the audition is worth going to for the experience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

We have looked this a few times and the format for rehearsal seemed to change with some focused on weekend and holiday times and others including after school hours and some even in school time.  It does look such a great opportunity for training as well as performance experience.  Just hoping one day that we can make it work for us and go for the audition.  I might just need to plan it around some annual leave for myself.  Does anyone know if schools treat this the same as allowing time off for dance exams?

It depends on the school. My DD is taking part for the 2nd time. First time she was allowed authorised time away from school and school did a support letter with no issues.  This time however I've had major issues and had to speak to numerous people to get it sorted. My DD friends had no problems.

• Like 1

Haha I've just realised why I couldn't see the new dates on the website - they were from last year! :rolleyes:

When we did it, it was mostly weekends, only had to ask for one afternoon off school, classed as off site educational activity or something. School were supportive (but then she was only 8!)

• Like 1

I never had any difficulty getting time off for DD, though I expected that I would do as the school she went to wasn't particularly supportive of her dancing. I did ask for the absolute minimum though, and she generally did most of the school day  when there were after school rehearsals, even though we always had a >2 hour drive. We did arrive with only seconds to spare on a few occasions mind you! The only times she took the whole day off were when the dress rehearsal/first performance days were Fridays. Even with a longish drive we didn't ever need to take a lot of time off school as the sessions were mainly at weekends and in school holidays.

My DD was at the casting of Swan Lake yesterday and has been cast as a tsars courtier. Does anyone have an idea what costume she'll wear? Hopefully it's just SATs nerves as she's taking the experience yesterday to heart. She loved experience from start to finish last time,  but yesterday felt a little type cast because of her small size. She was dismissed by staff on a few occasions even though they said she's brilliant for her age. Possibly taking everyone too personal now after the vocational auditions but yesterday has put her on a little downer ?

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:01, Newdancermum said:

DD has never done EYB but has several friends who have.  If time off school is required the company apply for Child Performance Licences.  This is different to time off for exams but it is NOT unauthorised absence.  In fact the permission actually comes from your Local Authority Education Welfare Officer, not your child's head teacher although the EWO can ask for a supporting letter from the school.  Legally however the school can only refuse permission if there are good educational reasons (such as wanting time off during the dates of scheduled external exams or if a child is very behind in their academic work or has already had a lot of time off school.

My dd did EYB twice , coppelia and swan lake , she had mostly been involved in musical theatre at the time and had recently become an RBS JA so I thought it would give her a good idea of which one she preferred so we could look ahead at possibly auditioning for vocational schools . She absolutely loved it particularly swan lake , she was awarded a full scholarship which gave her a real boost and is now loving life at white lodge . I can highly recommend it to all children who love ballet whether they're thinking of doing it professionally or not . 

• Like 2

DD's rehearsals are all through August so no school to worry about and license only required if there has been licensed performances by the child on more than 3 days in preceding 6 months.

Edited by poodle

Nothing useful to offer, but I was taking class at Central earlier on, and it was rather sweet to see all the mums lined up in the street waiting for audition news:-)