ENB Announces Spring/Summer 2017 Season

That looks like a great triple bill at the Wells!!

Yes Festival Hall not the ideal place but I noticed this will be in August (2017) perhaps only place they could get?

Many many years ago when still Festival Ballet I used to dress for the Company and I seem to remember Festival Hall being a bit of a nightmare!!

• Like 1

Source

Must say I'm surprised at a return to the Royal Festival Hall as I never, myself, thought it was the most optimum venue for ballet - although I certainly saw many LFB performances there.  

Tickets go on sale tomorrow.  

The tickets for Romeo and Juliet at the Royal Festival Hall don't go on sale till next week, June 21 for Friends of ENB and June 22 for general public booking.  Tomorrow's booking date is only for Friends of ENB to book events and also to purchase tickets for My First Cinderella in venues other than the Peacock Theatre.  

Edited by Bluebird

Weren't backstage facilities improved during the renovations, though?  I seem to remember going on a backstage tour last century(!) and hearing that they had only 8 showers, I think it was?

I must admit, I too am surprised at the return to the RFH, but perhaps there's a reason?  What will the situation be at the Royal Opera House next summer?  Will any visiting company have grabbed the Coliseum already, for example?

I was thinking, when I read reviews of the Ashton R&J on the Links page the other day, of how well suited *that* production was to the RFH.  Would have loved to have seen *that* one back.  But it's a big anniversary for the Nureyev production, too.

Weren't backstage facilities improved during the renovations, though?  I seem to remember going on a backstage tour last century(!) and hearing that they had only 8 showers, I think it was?

I must admit, I too am surprised at the return to the RFH, but perhaps there's a reason?  What will the situation be at the Royal Opera House next summer?  Will any visiting company have grabbed the Coliseum already, for example?

I was thinking, when I read reviews of the Ashton R&J on the Links page the other day, of how well suited *that* production was to the RFH.  Would have loved to have seen *that* one back.  But it's a big anniversary for the Nureyev production, too.

I believe the Coliseum will be rented out next summer (for a full 15 week period) to a commercial entity/ies for £120,000 a week.  At least that is what I believe I read when the 2016/17 ENO Season Announcement was made.  I doubt any ballet companies will be taking up that offer somehow.  I believe it has been rumoured (even hereabouts) that the Mariinsky may well be visiting the ROH next summer.  

I too would love to see the current wonderful ENB company do the Ashton - but I suspect the Company's rights to that left LFB/ENB when Schaufuss departed as AD.  (I well remember that revival Schaufuss did at the Coliseum with Osipova/Vasiliev and a very youthful Lendorf.)

Edited by Bruce Wall

What a surprise, I really used to like going to see LFB at the Festival Hall ages ago, there was always a happy easy-going atmosphere which was completely different to the ROH, it was wonderful to come out and walk across the river to Embankment tube station and a quick ride to Victoria, and what a marvellous view from the terraces, the problem is I don't like Romeo and Juliet, still it is Nureyev's so I'll go once at least, I believe the stage is bigger and conditions much improved. Wonder if the prices will be as relatively cheap as they used to be, I fear not.

• Like 1

What a surprise, I really used to like going to see LFB at the Festival Hall ages ago, there was always a happy easy-going atmosphere which was completely different to the ROH, it was wonderful to come out and walk across the river to Embankment tube station and a quick ride to Victoria, and what a marvellous view from the terraces, the problem is I don't like Romeo and Juliet, still it is Nureyev's so I'll go once at least, I believe the stage is bigger and conditions much improved. Wonder if the prices will be as relatively cheap as they used to be, I fear not.

I'm the opposite, R&J is one of my favourite ballets and I've not yet managed to see ENB dance Nureyev's version, so I'm thrilled. I'll have to hope there are taxis nearby for afterwards though. :-)

At the back of the Hall ( Waterloo side as opposed to riverside) the taxis practically pull up right outside!

At least they used to!!

There was a time when I used Waterloo station a lot so knew all round there quite well especially as I worked as an usher at Festival Hall for two years ....but in more recent times tend to use Victoria so a while since been round the back there but I'm sure it's pretty similar.

• Like 1

Some french balletomanes on Dansomanie think that ENB is not the kind of company we should expect to see at Palais Garnier. They think that the corps de ballet is quite weak, for them the real interest is Rojo and Cojocaru, for them the international level of the company is clearly not there yet.  So let's wait and see... ENB has a lot to do to conquer Paris next week.  :unsure:

Some french balletomanes on Dansomanie think that ENB is not the kind of company we should expect to see at Palais Garnier. They think that the corps de ballet is quite weak, for them the real interest is Rojo and Cojocaru, for them the international level of the company is clearly not there yet.  So let's wait and see... ENB has a lot to do to conquer Paris next week.  :unsure:

What is the basis of their prior judgement, MAX?

Please could you provide a link? I cannot find my way around Dansomanie.

Edited by capybara

Those balletomanes speak about Le corsaire being very kitsch, yet they notice as well that ENB's production is far more new than the one of ABT.

But even if the soloists are good they think the company will suffer from the comparison with big international companies.

It appears that the Ballet de l'Opéra de Vienne came a few years ago in Paris in the Festival Les étés de la danse and that it was too soon after only a few seasons under Manuel Legris management. They compare that invitation with the one of ENB this season. 

One person notes that the male principals hired by Tamara Rojo have muscles in common but are not very light and lyrical except Isaac Hernandez. For this person Cesar Corrales, even if he is not a principal, is the most spectacular recruit. Among the ladies we find the names of Shiori Kase, Lauretta Summerscales, Ksenia O. among the ones to watch during the parisian week.

Edited by MAX

yes capybara 

on their website click on www.forum-dansomanie.net

then click on Tout sur la danse

then Nouvelles de l'English National Ballet and it's on page 20

it's true that with all the "annonce" and post it you have to scroll down a lot, not very logical...

Edited by MAX

yes capybara 

on their website click on www.forum-dansomanie.net

then click on Tout sur la danse

then Nouvelles de l'English National Ballet and it's on page 20

Here's the link to the beginning of the discussion.  You'll need to scroll down past the comments on the Emerging Dancer

http://www.forum-dansomanie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3172&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=285

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

English National Ballet 2017  Spring/Summer Season

English National Ballet becomes the first UK company to perform Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring.  Part of a triple bill that also includes works from William Forsythe and Hans van Manen, presented at Sadler’s Wells in spring 2017.

Rudolf Nureyev’s Romeo & Juliet returns to London with performances at Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall in August 2017.    First time English National Ballet has performed at Royal Festival Hall in almost a decade.

In March 2017 English National Ballet presents Pina Bausch’s masterpiece The Rite of Spring at Sadler’s Wells, becoming only the second Company in the world beyond Tanztheater Wuppertal, and the only UK Company to perform the work. The programme also includes William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated and Adagio Hammerklavier by Hans van Manen.

Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo said: “Pina Bausch was an incredible artist, and remains one of the most influential people in modern culture today. Her work transcends description; it affects you on a deep emotional level, speaking to your spirit and defying logical analysis.

Pina’s Rite of Spring is of great significance, and it gives me so much joy that English National Ballet becomes only the second ballet Company in the world, and the only UK Company to be entrusted to perform the work. I’m proud to present it alongside masterpieces from William Forsythe and Hans van Manen, and I am truly honoured and humbled to be able to perform these works to audiences at Sadler’s Wells in 2017.”

Salomon Bausch, Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Executive Director of the Pina Bausch Foundation said: We are very much looking forward to working with Tamara Rojo and her remarkable company. It is going to be a new experience not only for the dancers but vice versa for the piece, which is going to have a new home in London.”

During 36 years as Artistic Director of Tanztheater Wuppertal, Pina Bausch nurtured an ensemble of vivid imagination and grand scale and developed an artistic canon renowned for its diverse cultural influences and rich visual style. The Rite of Spring is regarded as one of her most revered works.

This triple bill sees another work new to English National Ballet’s repertoire, Adagio Hammerklavier choreographed by “one of the great masters” (the Guardian) Hans van Manen, set to Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No 29, Op 106. Alongside this 

is William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated, first performed by the Company in 2015. 

Returning for its eighth year in Spring 2017 is English National Ballet’s Emerging Dancer competition. Over the years Emerging Dancer has grown significantly in popularity, and last season saw Cesar Corrales awarded both the Emerging Dancer and People’s Choice Awards in front of an audience of over 2,000 people at the London Palladium and over 10,000 people online via a livestream. Offering not only the opportunity to shine a light on the younger talent within the company, Emerging Dancer also allows mentoring partnerships for the finalists, as well as recognising the exceptional talent of an Artist of the Company that has gone above and beyond the call of duty, with the Corps de Ballet award. 

Summer 2017 sees English National Ballet return to Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall for the first time since 2008, when it presents Rudolf Nureyev’s Romeo & Juliet there in August 2017.  The world’s greatest love story, Romeo & Juliet features inventive, passionate choreography set to Prokofiev’s score, performed live by the English National Ballet Philharmonic. This production, “the most deeply romantic of all versions” (Sunday Express), sees audiences transported to Renaissance Verona, with lavish sets and costumes. Originally created by Nureyev in 1977 to celebrate the Queen’s Silver Jubilee, English National Ballet recently performed it on its national tour to critical acclaim.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet’s 2016/2017 Listings information

Giselle by Akram Khan Sadler’s Wells, London 15 – 19 November Tickets: £12 - £45

Box office: www.ballet.org.uk/akram-khan-giselle or 020 7863 8000

Nutcracker

Milton Keynes Theatre
23 – 26 November 2016
Tickets: £10.75 - £45.25
Box office:
www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker

Nutcracker

Liverpool Empire
29 November – 3 December 2016 Tickets: £10.75 - £40.25
Box office:

Nutcracker 

London Coliseum

14 December 2016 – 7 January 2017 Tickets: £14 - £79
Box office:

Giselle by Mary Skeaping 

London Coliseum

11 - 22 January 2017
Tickets: £14 - £79
Box office:
www.ballet.org.uk/giselle

Pina Bausch / William Forsythe / Hans van Manen

Sadler’s Wells

23 March - 1 April 2017
Tickets on sale November 2016
For more information see:
www.ballet.org.uk/bausch-forsythe-van-manen

Emerging Dancer

Venue and Date TBC
For more information see:
www.ballet.org.uk/emergingdancer

My First Ballet: Cinderella

Orchard Theatre, Dartford
6 - 8 April 2017
Box Office: or
www.ballet.org.uk/myfirstballet Tickets: £15 - £20

Peacock Theatre, London
11 - 22 April 2017
www.ballet.org.uk/myfirstballet Tickets: £10 - £25

New Theatre, Oxford
28 & 29 April 2017
www.ballet.org.uk/myfirstballet Tickets: £11.50 - £26.50

Liverpool Empire
5 & 6 May 2017

New Wimbledon Theatre
13 & 14 May 2017

Bristol Hippodrome
20 & 21 May 2017

New Victoria Theatre, Woking
26 & 27 May 2017

Romeo & Juliet

Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall

1 - 5 August 2017
www.ballet.org.uk/romeoandjuliet Tickets: £12 - £55

About English National Ballet

English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.

English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

Giselle by Akram Khan is supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Casting has been announced for the Bausch/Forsythe/Van Manen Triple Bill at Sadler's Wells:

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated

Thursday 23 March 2017

Laurretta Summerscales, James Streeter, Tiffany Hedman,

TBC, Cesar Corrales, Crystal Costa, Isaac Hernández
Madison Keesler, Sarah Kundi.  

Friday 24 March 2017 

Saturday 25 March 2017 
Tiffany Hedman, Isaac Hernández, Alison McWhinney
Laurretta Summerscales, Fernando Bufalá, Rina Kanehara, Barry Drummond
Anjuli Hudson, Jung ah Choi.

Sunday 26 March 2017 (4pm) 
Precious Adams, Cesar Corrales, Madison Keesler, Fernando Bufalá

Tuesday 28 March 2017 
Laurretta Summerscales, James Streeter, Tiffany Hedman

Wednesday 29 March 2017 
Amber Hunt, Sarah Kundi.

Thursday 30 March 2017 
Laurretta Summerscales, James Streeter, Alison McWhinney
Precious Adams, Cesar Corrales, Crystal Costa, Barry Drummond

Friday 31 March 2017 
Precious Adams, Cesar Corrales, Rina Kanehara, Fernando Bufalá
Amber Hunt, Sarah Kundi.

Saturday 1 April 2017 
TBC, Cesar Corrales, Crystal Costa, Barry Drummond

Adagio Hammerklavier 

Thursday 23 March 2017 (Press night)
Fernanda Oliveira and James Forbat
Laurretta Summerscales and Fabian Reimair
Tamara Rojo and Isaac Hernández

Friday 24 March 2017 

Saturday 25 March 2017
Katja Khaniukova and Fernando Bufalá
Alison McWhinney and Aitor Arrieta
Laurretta Summerscales and Emilio Pavan

Sunday 26 March 2017 

Tuesday 28 March 2017 

Wednesday 29 March 2017 
Senri Kou and Ken Saruhashi

Thursday 30 March 2017 
Tiffany Hedman and Cesar Corrales

Friday 31 March 2017 

Saturday 1 April 2017 

Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring) 

TBC  

http://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/bausch-forsythe-van-manen/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Apologies. I started a new thread for the casting for the upcoming Triple Bill without realising that it was on this one.

Actually, Capybara, I'm the one in the wrong. I've posted the casting in the thread for the new season. That's definitely the wrong place for it! Maybe a moderator could put that right?

[Mod's note: moved to this thread from the ENB 17/18 season announcement thread.]

I was once told that she is chosen during the performance:  there are two or three potential Chosen Ones on the stage, and whichever one is handed the red dress is the CM for that performance.  I would love to think that is true, but I don't know whether it is or not!!

Do we know the running order/times for this one, BTW?  I'm assuming that Sacre would probably be last given the clearing up afterwards which must be required.

Oh, and is Adagio Hammerklavier the one in the vertically striped blue/green and black unitards?

I was once told that she is chosen during the performance:  there are two or three potential Chosen Ones on the stage, and whichever one is handed the red dress is the CM for that performance.  I would love to think that is true, but I don't know whether it is or not!!

I'll have to see if I still have the cast sheets, but when the POB did it a little over a year ago, I'm pretty sure I saw the same dancer as CM in the two performances I went to. It of course could mean that she was randomly picked twice but I assume it means it was her part.

Oh, and is Adagio Hammerklavier the one in the vertically striped blue/green and black unitards?

No.  Pale blue dresses for the women, white tights and bare chests for the men.

Casting has been announced for the Bausch/Forsythe/Van Manen Triple Bill at Sadler's Wells:

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated 

Thursday 23 March 2017

Friday 24 March 2017 

Saturday 25 March 2017 

Sunday 26 March 2017 (4pm) 

Tuesday 28 March 2017 

Wednesday 29 March 2017 

Amber Hunt, Sarah Kundi.

Thursday 30 March 2017 

Laurretta Summerscales, James Streeter, Alison McWhinney

Precious Adams, Cesar Corrales, Crystal Costa, Barry Drummond

Friday 31 March 2017 

Precious Adams, Cesar Corrales, Rina Kanehara, Fernando Bufalá

Amber Hunt, Sarah Kundi.

Saturday 1 April 2017 

TBC, Cesar Corrales, Crystal Costa, Barry Drummond

Adagio Hammerklavier 

Thursday 23 March 2017 (Press night)

Friday 24 March 2017 

Saturday 25 March 2017

Sunday 26 March 2017 

Tuesday 28 March 2017 

Wednesday 29 March 2017 

Senri Kou and Ken Saruhashi

Thursday 30 March 2017 

Tiffany Hedman and Cesar Corrales

Friday 31 March 2017 

Saturday 1 April 2017 

Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring) 

TBC  

http://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/bausch-forsythe-van-manen/

The Chosen One for Le Sacre first night is Francesca Velicu