développe a la seconde photo

BlueLou

How do you take a good photo of a dancer doing developpe a la seconde?? I assumed the position had to be ‘held’, and given my photography skills the hold is often for quite a few seconds! However, now thinking that a well-timed 'action shot’ would look a lot better! Is that cheating?? Dd can developpe quite high, but can’t hold it there for very long. Also, to smile or not to smile? Any other photo tips gratefully received too! I’ve just learnt that taking the photos from a seated position makes them look better. I am a novice running out of practise time to get it right! 

Mainly just winging it and a bit of luck on the day. Anything that's not a grimace facially is a bonus. And I've been know to recruit mums to stand and hold the dancers hand while they prepare then quickly run off. iPhones are brill for cropping out parents mid run! When I see developpe a la seconde on any audition form for any student my heart sinks, it's so difficult!

• Like 2

If your camera has the burst option you could try using that, it takes multiple photos in quick succession and then you can pick the best. Alternatively you could video the developpe and then screenshot the one that's just right. This will only work if your video on your camera is good quality as you don't want a blurry screen shot! This way you get get her going into the developpe and holding it for a few seconds in good alignment without worrying about timing when to take the photo. Hope that helps, good luck :)

• Like 4

Are the photos for an audition?

I’m planning ahead for next year Lisa. We applied for 2 summer schools this year that both required this photo. Tried very hard, but the photos I got really didn’t do her justice at all, and she didn’t get into either of the summer schools. Of course, it’s quite possible that she wouldn’t have got in to either summer school anyway, but wouldn’t want to think it was my photos that let her down so am resolved to get the best possible shots for next year’s applications :)

• Like 1

Can't help I'm afraid, as I've never managed to master this one, but oh, the hours I've spent tying.... Your post has reminded me of so many lost hours taking then deleting photos. Good luck

Glad it’s not just me! I just scrolled through an old post where Swanprincess describes her mum saying ‘3 more minutes then I’m stopping taking photos!’, then carrying on for another half an hour or so. 

• Like 3

I’ve just learnt that taking the photos from a seated position makes them look better.

Yes, it really helps if you take the photos with the camera about waist-height - I've done them whilst sitting in a chair or kneeling on the floor. If you take the photo while standing up it can make the legs look shorter than they actually are for some reason!

• Like 1

My dd held her own leg up with one arm until everything else was in position, i.e. other arm, smile etc, and then let go and held the position for a few seconds just long enough to get a good photo. It helps enormously to have another mum with you to take the photos as this reduces any arguments and temper tantrums!! (from dd and me!) Best taken from a sitting down position as mentioned.

Edited by Yorkshire Pud
  • Like 2

Glad it’s not just me! I just scrolled through an old post where Swanprincess describes her mum saying ‘3 more minutes then I’m stopping taking photos!’, then carrying on for another half an hour or so.

Hahaha my mum no longer takes my photos! I've found that by using a tripod & my phone on video, I can video the poses and then screenshot the video- also, doing it myself means that I can spend hours & hours playing with the positions to get the best shot :D
  • Like 5