Do you think it is OK for daughter to take lessons at different schools?

Faith76

My eight year old would like to try modern but her dance school does not do class times that are suitable.

I am going to try a different dance school for her to just do modern but stick with her current school for ballet.

I think it would be nice for her to experience new teachers and meet new dance friends. However I also feel a little disloyal to her current school.

I would be upfront with your current dance school but as your DD is only 8yrs old I would definitely agree that she be given the opportunity to try a different dance style. I hope she has a lot of fun. x

Edited by orchidblue
  • Like 2

If they don't offer modern, then I don't see why you shouldn't send her to another school for that, but I do think you should tell her current school.  We have girls who do all sorts of extracurricular activities, but we know about most of them and everyone tries to work their way round it.  We also have girls who learn dance at their regular schools and we have to take second place when they have rehearsals and performances there.  As long as we see an improvement in their work we're fine with it!

• Like 3

We were with two schools for a short while because of a scheduling problem that meant DS couldn't do tap at his original school. We told both schools, and the teacher at the new school was very clear she wanted to be sure that the previous school knew and were ok about things as they were fairly close geographically and she didn't want to be seen as poaching.

Even with everything all out in the open it was slightly stressful as when I came to pick up I would hear DS every now and again saying in a lesson 'my other teacher says...' which made me want to curl up and die inside.

It was a big relief when he gradually moved all his lessons over to the new school. So I would say definitely tell everybody and even then it can be slight minefield!

• Like 1

I actually have the same problem in our own school!   From Grade 7 I am not their only ballet teacher - they have a third class with a Russian teacher.  I have learnt to be very diplomatic and calm them down all the time, explaining that it is okay that he calls things different names and that he expects them to do certain exercises differently from me.  I just tell them we're both right and to go with the flow!  It is difficult, but it's good for them to be able to adapt and be able to respond to different demands.  Of course first they need to establish their basic technique, which is why we stick to RAD only until Grade 7.  They do however add on flamenco in Grade 3, modern in Grade 4 and jazz in Grade 5.  They start pointe in IF and add on Russian ballet in Grade 7.  It all expands their horizons and makes them versatile.  Very useful in today's eclectic dance world.

• Like 3

You really must tell her current school. Explain your reasons: that you can't make the times that her current studio offers. Ask her current teacher's advice about other schools where the styles will be complementary. 

By asking for advice, you will be showing you trust her current teacher's professional opinion, and see her as important in your daughter's development.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

Personally i don't think you should have to tell your existing teacher. It's a business and you are a customer. If the class times aren't suitable then it's up to you what you do

There are some lovely dance teachers out there who genuinely care for their students development but unfortunately there are also some that tie you in under the loyalty umbrella unnecessarily:(

Looking back on our last 5 years or so, I definitely feel there is a lot of benefit to doing things with several teachers from an early age.

• Like 1

Thank you for some of your responses. Have fired off a few enquiries regarding modern jazz dance classes for daughter at different schools. Her school does not do this particular style just modern or jazz so feel less guilty about being disloyal. I think she would benefit enormously from doing a different style.

We have classical ballet at one school and last year moved modern and tap to another. The ballet is taught to a much higher standard at the original school, but their modern and tap is rather sluggish until students reach the higher grades, so my dd got rather bored with it after four years, whereas at the other school she really loves it and they have more performance opportunities too which brings those types of dance alive. The ballet school don't know that we're at the other school for modern and tap now, but the modern one knows about the ballet! I do feel a bit awkward at times, but ultimately I want my dd to really enjoy all forms of dance and to be taught to the highest standard in each one, with performance opportunities sometimes too, not just grade after grade and nothing else. I think it depends on the school as to how approachable they are, and if you've signed anything to say you won't go to a rival school then of course it won't work, but it's a competitive market, so why not pick the best for your child? My dd is 10 so I guess at some point we'll switch to having all the classes at one or the other, but for the time being it's working well. Good luck with the decision!