Musings of a six year old.

baby steps

I took my 6 yr old DD to see her first Ballet yesterday, the aptly named "My first Ballet, Sleeping Beauty". She made several comments throughout which amused me and the lady sitting the other side of her, so I thought I would share.

After prising her out from under my armpit following the entrance of Carabosse and the demony things, she started to relax and enjoy the Ballet......Then the comments started.

1. Watching the Lilac Fairy, she leaned over and announced, "Umm, She's quite good actually". 

2. The 4 princes were dancing....Rather loud whisper, "Oooh, giggle, giggle, I can see his bottom"!

3. About half an hour into the production, "When are they going to speak".

4. Watching the prince dancing his solo she whispered, "He's quite good.........for a man"!!

She did really enjoy it though! 

• Like 21

Hahaha when do they speak?! Hehehehe

My mother (66) went to her first Nutcracker some years back and said just a teensy bit too loudly to my sister in the intermission:

"If they don't get up on their tippy toes soon I'm WALKING OUT!"

'Twas Mathew Bourne.

• Like 9

My now ballet loving dd's first experience was Swan Lake. She slept through the 3rd act with a coat over her head and told her teacher that it would have been better if they sang! We still tease her now! ????

• Like 5

My ballet-hating son was dragged by me to see Cinderella when he was about 11; primarily to get him away from his wretched X Box for a few hours and give him a bit of culture. He absolutely hated it from start to finish and proclaimed in the taxi on the way home it had been two of the worst hours of his life !!! A few years later I thought I would try again. Took him and a female daughter of a friend of mine to see Swan Lake. He enjoyed it a lot more. I had explained the story to him several times before we went, and told him to look out for the 32 Fouettes in Act 3. When it came to that part he nudged me and whispered, "Are these the 32 Fouettes you were on about?" He did say to me though that even though he thought SL had not been too bad that he never ever wanted to go to another ballet again. Oddly enough though, he is probably the only teenager who hates ballet but knows what Freeds, Blochs and Gaynor Mindens are. [Me and my mad pointe shoe collection.] He also thinks it's "cool" that my pointe shoes video on You Tube has over a hundred thousand views. He told his mates as well and they seemed impressed by the numbers too !!

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 4

What pointe shoes video Lisa?  Do give us a link please!  

I think older children prefer slightly more realistic stories.  My nephew really doesn't want his sons going to watch ballet (afraid it will "corrupt" them?)  but he agreed to let the eldest see Romeo and Juliet, when I was performing in it as the Nurse.  It was his first ballet and he knew nothing about it, but it was dramatic and funny, there were sword fights which entertained him and he got caught up in the story. When he was brought backstage, he wanted to see how the lighting worked and the scenery.  In short he loved it.  Unfortunately, he'll probably never be taken to see another one.............

• Like 1

What pointe shoes video Lisa?  Do give us a link please!  

I think older children prefer slightly more realistic stories.  My nephew really doesn't want his sons going to watch ballet (afraid it will "corrupt" them?)  but he agreed to let the eldest see Romeo and Juliet, when I was performing in it as the Nurse.  It was his first ballet and he knew nothing about it, but it was dramatic and funny, there were sword fights which entertained him and he got caught up in the story. When he was brought backstage, he wanted to see how the lighting worked and the scenery.  In short he loved it.  Unfortunately, he'll probably never be taken to see another one.............

Sorry,I have no idea how to do links. I have three. Go on You Tube and type in My Collection of Pointe Shoes. Then I have another [very poor quality one] called My Collection of Coloured and Decorated Pointe Shoes. I didn't feel at all well as I was recording it in my dining room. My third is My Collection of Rare and Vintage Pointe Shoes [Or Vintage and Rare, can't remember which way round]. I also have My London  Festival Ballet Tutu Help, when I was asking people if they recognised the ballet my costume came from. Since then I have been contacted by the dancer who wore the costume. The ballet was Verdi Variations.

• Like 2

Just had a look on You Tube .My last video is in two parts and is called My Vintage and Rare Pointe Shoes, Part 1 and 2. I kind of got bored with making them and the novelty wore off. Haven't actually looked at my videos for ages. I cringe at my Mancunian accent !

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

It's very easy to post a link.

Highlight the URL of the link you wish to paste.  Copy it by right clicking and choosing the copy option.

Set up your post on the forum.  Right click where you want to insert the link.  Choose the paste option.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to add on this little story that my middle son sent to our family WhatsApp!   He was sitting in the car with his 3 children in the back - 2 boys age 7 and 5 and a little girl 2 and 8 months.  He was fiddling with the radio to find them music.  He tried all kinds of music channels and after every one it was - No Daddy, not that one.  Suddenly he found a classical music channel with Tchaikovsky on it and there was silence in the back.  The 5 year old said - "That's ballet music!" (I have no idea how he knew!  Unless it was Nutcracker which he has seen) and his little sister said "Yeh - ballet music"  (she hasn't yet been taken to see ballet ).  Okay said my son - Shall I change channels?   Noooooo!!!!!!!!! they all screamed!   Definitely my grandchildren!

• Like 10

My 10 year old son who I thought was a fully rounded culturally aware individual said to me the other day...."Mum, you do know the only reason I let you take me to the ballet with you is because I know you'll buy me sweets & ice-cream?" Well, I plan to save the cost of the ticket & said sweets & ice-cream next time & pay for a babysitter instead!!

Maybe he needs to start bribing me with bacon butties to go watch his rugby matches......ok....I'm there...doesn't take much to get me!! :)

• Like 3

...he might just be keeping up brotherly appearances! I know dd's brother would NEVER admit to her that the has enjoyed any of her ballet shows. He definitely enjoyed the last show but told me the other day that it had been a huge effort for him and that he MAY come to her watching class before the hols. I'm pretty sure he'll be there!

• Like 2