Living at The Hammond

Ballet4Boyz

Obviously quite a difference then.

Dd doesn't require learning support as such - just understanding & reasonable adjustments. They were very quick to pick up on the fact she may have issues unlike her previous school.

Having had DD's at different schools, and non dancing DS's in yet another, very academic school, I have had experience of five different academic schools. albeit that my sons didn't need support.  I get what you are saying about understanding and making adjustments.  Hammond school, in my experience, has certainly been the only one who has taken time to communicate with me.  They have gone out of their way to try to help, as much as they can.

My DD who has 6 lessons a week was at a school where results were very much the focus.  45% of their pupils had dyslexia, dyspraxia or other learning or social difficulties.  At the time, it was the reason for choosing the school, so that my daughter would not feel different.  However, there was non of the focus on the things she enjoys; there was no music, no opportunity to perform.  I quickly realised that there are more important things in life than A* if what a child wants to do has very little to do with academics.  She now has 1/2 hour one to one rather than 6 x 45 minutes class time.

• Like 1

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think we are all well meaning parents!

I agree, which I think makes the subjective aspects of these discussions rather valueless. We all have different experiences/expectations/needs, even within families - my three children all went to different schools, decisions taken as a family with as little regard as possible to external chatter and opinion.

If I were to offer any advice, and I wouldn't presume anyone should take it, it would be to sit one on one with the headmaster (or as appropriate) at any chosen school and ask your questions and make any decisions based upon how you feel that conversation goes.

Well, your son's situation is specific, although I don't think it changes my view, presumably there was a previous head in place when you were considering his school. My general point is that you should hold the school accountable, I have never had trouble meeting a headmaster (or as I said, whomever is appropriate), but then as I have always paid full fees for my children's education I have a certain level of expectation of treatment - and that would certainly include not being lied to!

As I said, this is my philosophy, won't be for all.

Well, your son's situation is specific, although I don't think it changes my view, presumably there was a previous head in place when you were considering his school. My general point is that you should hold the school accountable, I have never had trouble meeting a headmaster (or as I said, whomever is appropriate), but then as I have always paid full fees for my children's education I have a certain level of expectation of treatment - and that would certainly include not being lied to!

As I said, this is my philosophy, won't be for all.

Holding a school accountable is all very well in theory in practice its a different matter. I've never had a problem with meeting teachers, senco's, head's or even governor's but they never talk to one another, so you have to talk to all of them. And how do you hold a school accountable when most of it (education ) is not in their hands.

Any school fee paying or not you should have certain levels of expectation of treatment but if your child does not communicate that this is not the case until late or something happens later down the line how can you hold the school accountable. Schools and education change so quickly its hard to keep up

My DD is currently Year 8 so Boogalou just to reassure you they are a friendly bunch they all get along and friendship groups seem to change fairly regularly. think next year they will be back to 3 or 4 in a room and at Hampton Lodge ( whereas at the moment it is two in a room)  that is what i have heard, not set in stone. 

can't remember the other questions ask away if anything else you want to know.

• Like 1

Could anyone advise me what the New Parent's Tea on the first exert involves? Is it just tea or does it involve watching a lesson etc? Just deciding if both of us should go or just one - saving annual leave!

then there is whole school open morning beginning of Oct, I went in Year 7 and took her out for the afternoon, but live far away so couldnt really justify the journey this year and luckily one of the other nearer mums took her out. 

i had concerns about academic side as my daughter was not academic in the slightest at primary school. I am so pleased with how hard she is working at the Hammond. something has clicked, maybe the fact they all do homework together helps also.

• Like 2

They encourage current parents to go too. It's one of the few chances to get to see them dance/sing.

Just wish they could hold any Open Days on a Friday of an exeat weekend when most parents are collecting boarders which would mean those of us from further afield could visit too. Even if it were a Thursday before an exeat Friday one could justify the expense of staying over one night as have to be there the next day anyhow -  would be lovely to be able to go too!

• Like 4

My DS has always been very keen on going to the Hammond and boarding (he's only 9 at the moment). Yesterday I broached the subject again, trying to make sure he knew what he was asking to do.

"You will have to go all week without seeing us, and we might not be able to see you every weekend".

His reply "that's ok, you can come on Fridays and stay in my flat!". He actually thought he would be fending for himself like his 18yr old sister does at upper school! ????

Edited by kcoom75
  • Like 14